shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the window on this sapphire terrible?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would love to know your thoughts regarding the window on this padparadscha sapphire. It is more obvious than I thought it would be, and I am wondering what it will look like once set. Below are my inspiration images for the custom setting - white gold with rose gold prongs... I am wondering if I have a rose gold "back" made behind the sapphire if it will help cover that window? The color is so beautiful on this stone, and I really want to make it work. But I do have the option to return. Thank you so much for your help!

IMG_8042.jpg IMG_8043.jpg IMG_8044.jpg IMG_8045.jpg 01_59_117_4__master.jpg 2247782a9d87d21bd7689881591ae8f2.jpg 19425537_363410197394652_7198487414275309568_n.jpg

Attachments

• 19425537_363410197394652_7198487414275309568_n.jpg
    19425537_363410197394652_7198487414275309568_n.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 20

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not so much concerned about the window as I am about the color. Are the photos accurate? It looks raspberry to me, not pink orange. Is there a lab report?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color is lovely but seems solidly pink, I don't see any orange. However if you love it, you love it. The window would bother me, try walking around a bit with in a ring holder. If you are happy with how it looks in various environments, keep it. If not, keep looking.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends how you think about it, I used to be indifferent to windows, then I started collecting a lot of Antique gemstones and Antique jewellery pieces and many of them have huge windows, I heard a seller describe the clear window in the centre in the Victorian era as a sensual window showing flesh underneath and you know what, I now view them in entirely different terms. Many old cuts often with large windows are indeed beautiful in the way they do that, show skin under certain stones....

I've gone from hating windows to seeing them as kind of cool particularly in Antique pieces, so really the only person that matters is if you like it or not.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others that it's not a pad sapphire, so I hope you didn't pay pad price for it! The window is there, but not horrible.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Window on a scale from 1-10 (ten being worst), this might be a 2 or 3, so not too bad.
Setting rose gold behind would be a good idea, whether padparasha or not.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a large window detracts from the beauty of the stone. I do not like seeing flesh through the stone. I wish I did because I have a large aquamarine I bought in 2004 before I knew anything about colored stones that has a large window that I just cannot wear because of it.

Personal preference in every way as evidenced by the above replies.

Just make sure you are not overpaying and make sure you will love wearing it before you buy. You can set it in a way to minimize that window but I am not sure how successful it will be and how much window will still be evident.

I love your inspiration setting by the way. That is gorgeous and will be a perfect home for the right gem.:love:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for weighing in! Regarding the color... I cannot capture it in my pictures, but the sapphire turns the most beautiful coral/salmon color in certain lighting. It is mesmerizing, and what I love most about the stone. It is heat treated, which doesn't bother me, so it wasn't terribly expensive. If I could just get that window to close up even just a little, I would be happy. I found this example @LD posted a while back... the results are amazing!

sapphire_bi_colour_loose_1_1.jpg sapphire_bi_colour_loose_in_setting_1_1.jpg sapphire_logr_setting_1_1.jpg

My window closed up nicely in the picture below, and I'm wondering if I replicate a thin line in the back of the setting with rose gold if it will do the trick...

IMG_8045.jpg
01_59_117_4__master.jpg
(maybe have a vertical "line" made instead of a diamond shape in the back??)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t do anything to hide that window. Could almost pass for a culet and in my opinion is not that distracting.
Worth that said if you don’t like it it’s relatively cheap to have stones “touched up” I’ve had a few of mine done. Under 200 both times and that includes a 12 cut sapphire with a window far more offensive.
Honestly if it bothers you get it recut on the pavilion if it doesn’t just set it normal. Don’t try and “trick your eyes” it won’t work

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is heat treated, which doesn't bother me, so it wasn't terribly expensive.
Is it heated only? Even heat treated true padparadcha is pricey. If it’s diffused as well, the price should be pittance in comparison. Is there a lab report, and if so, what lab?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely stone although I also don't see any orange. I like the idea of the setting closing the window, but if it was expensive I'd just get it recut professionally to close it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results