shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the table off centre in the setting?

DiamondSEEKER 1452

Rough_Rock
Got a diamond set today. Is the table off centre to you? We can go back and have it changed but they say doesn't matter which way you turn it it will be like this. What I mean by this is that the table isn't straight on square when you look at it.

20170501_181326 (1).jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To me it's a matter of aesthetics. The ring does look nice though.

DiamondSEEKER 1452

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, they are saying it is impossible to turn the diamond so that it is square straight on however, I don't think that is the case, right?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The table is not a square, it's an octahedron. The square you are seeing is the effect of the table with the star facets. I suppose it could be turned slightly anti clockwise. It might be to do with covering an inclusion?

See this photo:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s..._AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=g7tL_Fwb58xykM:

Where did you end up getting your diamond from and what specs did you go for? It looks really nice

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just looked at some photos of the ring in my avatar and when Brian Gavin Diamonds set it, the table is set as close to square as possible front on.

This might just be laziness on the part of the bench (you bought from James Allen right?).

IMG_4864.JPG

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My stone is set with the corners of the "square" table pointing toward the 4 prongs. The most significant inclusion is hidden under a prong and the AGS cert number is exposed. I was lucky they were able to position it perfectly taking all that into account

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is absolutely an issue of competency of the setter. I always insist on having a table set straight. My jeweler has told me that sometimes on the last tightening, it'll shift. I make him do it over. Then we both laugh. If I were you, I would require that they fix it or refund your money, and then go somewhere with a more competent setter.

DiamondSEEKER 1452

Rough_Rock
This is absolutely an issue of competency of the setter. I always insist on having a table set straight. My jeweler has told me that sometimes on the last tightening, it'll shift. I make him do it over. Then we both laugh. If I were you, I would require that they fix it or refund your money, and then go somewhere with a more competent setter.

I appreciate your reply. They were basically calling me delusional in the store so I very much appreciate that Im not going crazy!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are definitely not going crazy.

TraceyG

Rough_Rock
This would make me INSANE and I am now instructing the person custom-making my setting to make sure the table is centered / squared-off. Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are not crazy! I see this a lot and it makes ME crazy. I would definitely have them reset it..Your diamond and ring are beautiful though!

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow that’s something you don’t appreciate until you see one not done perfectly.

I didn’t even realize the rotation of the diamond mattered on the setting. When I saw your pic I had to examine mine!

Best of luck with yours! Your diamond looks super sparkly!!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Good setters are not just conscious of whether the table is square, but the arrow orientation. For example, if you want an arrow tip or the spot in-between arrow tips at the 12:00 position. Yes, people are that picky, so there’s no reason for the setter to put the diamond in off-kilter unless there are inclusions or chips etc in the diamond that make it necessary. Otherwise, the only reason not to get the table straight is if they don’t care ... because it’s rather an obvious issue to anyone that sets diamonds, except with very small diamonds ... imo, of course.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results