shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the bow tie effect on this natural 2 ct. radiant concerning?

diamondnewbie2021

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so please forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong place.

I ordered this 2 ct. radiant (E, VS1) for my fiancé last night and was very happy with my decision until someone pointed out the bow tie effect, which I was not aware of before.

Is this an acceptable level of bow tie or should I be concerned?

Thank you.

E7CA7279-755A-4007-B85D-0981DC3051CD.jpeg
4171C89C-7A9F-4AF3-9F8D-2F3623E0E7D9.jpeg

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a minimal bow tie effect to my eye. Do you have video of the stone moving? It would be helpful for people wanting to comment. You might be interested to read this article about the subject.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
It could be that they are not tilting the stone enough in this particular video but I'm concerned that the bow tie effect just stays there even while the stone is moved. Hopefully others who know more about this cut will weigh in, but those are my thoughts. Have you done a search here to see other peoples radiant cuts?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

This thread might be helpful to read.

diamondnewbie2021

Rough_Rock
It could be that they are not tilting the stone enough in this particular video but I'm concerned that the bow tie effect just stays there even while the stone is moved. Hopefully others who know more about this cut will weigh in, but those are my thoughts. Have you done a search here to see other peoples radiant cuts?

I have, and I don’t think it is this obvious on other radiant cuts. It does seem to give it a positive sparkle that I like, but I don’t know enough either to make a judgement one way or another. The jeweler himself denies it is even a bow tie effect and just attributes it to the poor lighting and setting.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you purchase this from a vendor that has a good return policy in case it doesnt sparkle like expected?

The bow-tie does look minimal but you can find some with less. I only consider bow-ties to be dark and to stay
dark a good portion of the time.

Are you looking for small sparkles (crushed ice radiant) or something with also some bigger flashes. Crushed ice radiants
are the hardest to evaluate online.

Also, when looking at radiants you want to find a stone that has a decent crown height. Unfortunately, we can see the side
of the crown from that video.

Hopefully, when you get it you can take some more up-close pictures and post them. Make sure to look at it in all different
lighting conditions.

diamondnewbie2021

Rough_Rock
Did you purchase this from a vendor that has a good return policy in case it doesnt sparkle like expected?

The bow-tie does look minimal but you can find some with less. I only consider bow-ties to be dark and to stay
dark a good portion of the time.

Are you looking for small sparkles (crushed ice radiant) or something with also some bigger flashes. Crushed ice radiants
are the hardest to evaluate online.

Also, when looking at radiants you want to find a stone that has a decent crown height. Unfortunately, we can see the side
of the crown from that video.

Hopefully, when you get it you can take some more up-close pictures and post them. Make sure to look at it in all different
lighting conditions.

Thank you very much! This is really helpful. Yes, the vendor does have a decent return policy, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

I wish I had known about the crown height information earlier, although I don’t know how I would have figured it out using the GIA report and video alone. I was aiming for a larger table while still keeping within the recommended range. I was also aiming for a higher length to width ratio.

Does the crown height seem very narrow in the video? And all in all, do you think the diamond lacks in quality?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A larger table is not a good idea IMO. Some of the best flashes come off the crown and if you have very little crown with
a large table you miss those flashes. IMO, you should be looking for a smaller table in the acceptable range.

To check on crown height you really need videos like Blue Nile and James Allen. They spin the stone so you can see if the
crown is flat or has some height to it.

For example, this stone is showing acceptable crown height IMO.

This one is too flat (IMO).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results