shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the bling back in?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About two years ago there was a topic on bling and the recession. I said at the time I felt bad wearing much bling because so many people were out of work. Shopping at the resale stores or bargain shopping had become popular. It seems like a big turn around! Everyone has a job ( except recent college graduates) and people are buying more luxury items. My bling is back out and shining in the sun!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you! Bling is meant to be worn and enjoyed.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't have felt bad. Maybe this recession was not a bad time for you personally but into every life a little rain must fall, and do you think others would stop wearing their bling for you when your personal rain comes? Nah.

I live on what must be one of the most famous restaurant streets in America - there are almost one hundred restaurants in an area of 0.36 square miles. It's a tourist trap so the prices are not cheap, no siree. I can tell you that every single night throughout this entire recession, including the worst of the credit crunch, those restaurants have remained packed to the gills every night except perhaps Mondays, which is usual anyway.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, enjoy your bling!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think so. There's been a HUGE rise in people wearing big ol' celebrity-like size rings for their engagement rings in the last few years. And more and more people are buying diamond synthetics for them, too, and affording larger and larger sizes. It's no longer out of place to drip diamonds while walking the streets in a track suit.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
madelise said:
It's no longer out of place to drip diamonds while walking the streets in a track suit.

Eeeeuuuwww, tacky.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have actually noticed a big increase in CS as RHR in my area in the last 2 or 3 years. I haven't been on CS active enough to see the trends there but some designers as well as etsy artisans have made these popular in my age group. I see alot of friends posting their etsy jeweler buys.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not seeing all the employment resurgence yet, so I still don't wear my rings a lot or at all really, esp not where I work. I wear no jewelry of any kind to work.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1386848608|3572699 said:
madelise said:
It's no longer out of place to drip diamonds while walking the streets in a track suit.

Eeeeuuuwww, tacky.

I'm joking, but I mean you don't need a "reason" to wear your jewelry.

I mean, everyone wears accessories. Those recruitment type companies like Cookie Lee are super popular, and everyone is wearing costume stuff. So why hide the real stuff? The average person on the street can't tell the difference anyway unless they're super up-close to it. IMO, wearing real jewelry is no more "offensive" during an economic crisis than wearing costume jewelry.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1386869912|3572939 said:
JewelFreak|1386848608|3572699 said:
madelise said:

Eeeeuuuwww, tacky.

I'm joking, but I mean you don't need a "reason" to wear your jewelry.

I mean, everyone wears accessories. Those recruitment type companies like Cookie Lee are super popular, and everyone is wearing costume stuff. So why hide the real stuff? The average person on the street can't tell the difference anyway unless they're super up-close to it. IMO, wearing real jewelry is no more "offensive" during an economic crisis than wearing costume jewelry.

I agree. It wouldn't occur to me to hide my bling because of a recession. I don't think we have to walk around in figurative sackcloth and ashes because it's a recession. And anyway, maybe you inherited it or bought it decades before the recession - others don't know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results