shape
carat
color
clarity

Is sending for a GIA cert = to an independent appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbl1120

Rough_Rock
Hello,

The diamond I am considering does not have a GIA cert. The jeweler has offered to send it to GIA to get one before I purchase. My questions:

1. If I do this, is it advisable to have an independent appraiser look at it in addition to the GIA review? Why or why not?

2. If GIA rates the diamond better than it is currently rated from the company (which seems unlikely, but is possible from what I know of this stone), am I at risk to lose the price I have been quoted?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been extremely helpful (via search and my posts)!

1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The jeweler has offered to send it to GIA to get one before I
purchase.
-----------

Good idea, especially if he's picking up the cost. An even better idea would be to have him send it to AGS, so you can get that all important info on the crown/pavilion height-depth/angles.

-----------
1. If I do this, is it advisable to have an independent appraiser look
at it in addition to the GIA review? Why or why not?
-----------

Well, the way I look at it is that you're going to have to have it appraised sooner or later if you want to insure it. So point of purchase seems like a good time to have it done. The appraiser might be able to give you extra info which would either confirm your purchase decision or cause you to give it second thought.

In particular, optical symmetry tests would give you a critique of the stone from a different angle than probably approached by the jeweler or certifying lab.

-----------
2. If GIA rates the diamond better than it is currently rated from the
company (which seems unlikely, but is possible from what I know of
this stone), am I at risk to lose the price I have been quoted?
-----------

Would seem only fair, wouldn't it? Especially if you're thinking the jeweler should lower the price if it comes in rated less than they estimated.

The chances, however, are much greater that GIA or AGS will rate it lower than the jeweler, because they conservative graders while many jewelers are not. If you're a gambling person, the odds are on your side.

jbl1120

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your informative response. Jeweler is in fact going to send to AGS, as their turnaround time is quicker than GIA. The only reason I am concerned with it grading higher is that jeweler suggested that it is borderline vvs2, and a friend who purchased from the same guy had a similar experience where a G was bumped up to an F on grading!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Well, you could always try the stipulation "I want a discount if it comes in less than you graded but I'm not willing to pay more if it comes in higher than you graded".

Would you be comfortable with that agreement if you were standing on the other side of the counter?

jbl1120

Rough_Rock
That's not really reasonable, which is what I think you are trying to demonstrate. I don't want to stiff anyone, my issue is that if it grades higher and price goes up, I can't afford it anymore as it's already a huge stretch!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would just tell him that. It's a very "human" reason, and he might just agree to not bump up the price (if it grades out higher). After all, he's apparently comfortable with the profit he's making at the price he already quoted you. Maybe he'll stand on that.

jbl1120

Rough_Rock
Interesting new development. My diamond was sent to AGS for a cert and it came back downgraded from a G to an H. The price was then discounted from $6150 to $5600. Does this sound fair? Do you think it will be disappointing to get an H when I was counting on the G? I am thinking it's not that much a difference. would appreciate any insight.
thanks.

Origin: Canada (this is essential) - Sirius Diamonds
Cut: Ideal Princess (fire and ice)
Carat: 1.18
Color: H (was G initially)
Clarity: VS1
Dimensions: 5.74 x 5.70 x 4.42
Fluorescence: No
Depth: 77.5%
Table: 55%
Pavillion Depth: 59.5
Girdle: Thin
Crown Height: 15.1 Angle: 36.8

The inclusion is very hard to see, not near surface, a tiny pinpoint halfway down.

Price: $5600 (american) (was $6150 when it was a G).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is still the same stone so why would it's name change woory you?

Rich GIA will give the crown and pavilion angles to who ever sumbits the stone to it 9but no one else).

jbl1120

Rough_Rock
Because I haven't seen it in person!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results