shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Rare Carat legit?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I've been lurking on Rare Carat's website, considering a lab diamond purchase but the prices seem to good to be true. The particular stone I'm eyeing is 0.76c, F, VS1, Rare Carat ideal cut, cushion, IGI cert, and the price is only about $500USD. Comparable stones on James Allen/ Blue Nile are nearly triple that. Even for a lab diamond that seems too low. Should I run away?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Rare Carat is only a portal for vendors. You would need to look into the individual vendor. On the listing, you should see who is actually selling the stone.

Rare Carat is legit however and they do seem to vet their vendors well enough so not dodgy. A sub one carat MMD isn't expensive mind you. Welcome to lab diamond world!

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Rare Carat is only a portal for vendors. You would need to look into the individual vendor. On the listing, you should see who is actually selling the stone.

Rare Carat is legit however and they do seem to vet their vendors well enough so not dodgy. A sub one carat MMD isn't expensive mind you. Welcome to lab diamond world!

Thanks.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I've never heard of Lovbe before but I haven't been on the hunt lately (... and I must not resume!). It's a nice colour but it's borderline crushed ice? If you like that look though, it's a great price.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I've never heard of Lovbe before but I haven't been on the hunt lately (... and I must not resume!). It's a nice colour but it's borderline crushed ice? If you like that look though, it's a great price.

I'm not sure if I like it or not to be honest. It looks good on the video, but that's in ideal lighting and massively enlarged. I've never seen the crushed ice look in person though.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
I've never seen crushed ice in person either and I recently moved to an area that has very limited everything. Does anyone have know of an inexpensive non-diamond that could be purchased to get an idea of the look? It's just a thought for anyone who would want to know for themselves.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
This is a cool link (
)from another thread about crushed ice.

My mined 1ct marquise is pretty much crushed ice. The cut is OK but being a I1, there's not a lot of clear facets to be made out. Having said that, I love druzy so it has its appeal. It's certainly not mushy or slushy.

I think you can definitely find a nicer cut though and back to your original point, do use Rare Carat. I find James Allen (while I'm a happy customer of theirs) isn't very cheap for MMDs.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
This is a cool link (
)from another thread about crushed ice.

My mined 1ct marquise is pretty much crushed ice. The cut is OK but being a I1, there's not a lot of clear facets to be made out. Having said that, I love druzy so it has its appeal. It's certainly not mushy or slushy.

I think you can definitely find a nicer cut though and back to your original point, do use Rare Carat. I find James Allen (while I'm a happy customer of theirs) isn't very cheap for MMDs.

Thank you for the link! That was extremely helpful! Turns out that I do like the crushed ice look, as long as it's one of the bright ones like he showed. I'm thinking the one I was watching might be a little dull under the table, so I'm going to keep looking.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the link! That was extremely helpful! Turns out that I do like the crushed ice look, as long as it's one of the bright ones like he showed. I'm thinking the one I was watching might be a little dull under the table, so I'm going to keep looking.

Yes, I think it was said in the same thread that crushed ice shouldn't be seen as a negative as a lot of people do like that look. I think it suits a cushion cut. Happy hunting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results