shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my diamond antique?

katiekat21

Rough_Rock
IMG_3950.JPG IMG_0759.JPG
Just got engaged with a cushion cut stunner. One of my co-workers suggested that it looks like an older type of cut which got me interested. I attached photos of the diagram. The EGL USA report calls it "Cushion Square Modified Brilliant" but I am wondering if it is possibly an old mine cut. Does anyone know perhaps how old the diamond is or the cut type? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ahhh. Its so pretty!!! I'm a diamond novice, so do not take anything I say to heart, but from the pictures it looks like it could be. The facets seem chunky, like older cut diamonds. I want to see more pictures of that beauty though!!!

katiekat21

Rough_Rock
Ahhh. Its so pretty!!! I'm a diamond novice, so do not take anything I say to heart, but from the pictures it looks like it could be. The facets seem chunky, like older cut diamonds. I want to see more pictures of that beauty though!!!

Thank you!!! The setting is pretty unique too.
IMG_3805.JPG IMG_8068.JPG

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look like it could be. Can you post any clearer daylight pictures? Where did your fiancé get it from? Would love to see more pictures! Oh and congratulations on your engagement! It’s a lovely ring and lucky you if it’s an antique cut.

katiekat21

Rough_Rock
It does look like it could be. Can you post any clearer daylight pictures? Where did your fiancé get it from? Would love to see more pictures! Oh and congratulations on your engagement! It’s a lovely ring and lucky you if it’s an antique cut.
IMG_3994.JPG IMG_4684.PNG
Thank you! He got it from a local European jeweler. Kinda hard to tell the facets from the photos but here are some more.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's likely to be several million years old, so I would call that antique ;-) :D

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The culet & chubby facets would motivate me to believe it’s either antique, or cut to appear that way.
It would be best to have it appraised.
It’s beautiful! He did a great job!!
Congratulations!! Blessings for a lifetime of happiness & love!!! :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a lovely ring and that diamond is chunkalicious so I am inclined to think that yes it is an antique diamond or a modern diamond cut to look antique. But I could be wrong because it is hard to say just looking at these pics. In any case it is beautiful and wear in much happiness and wedded bliss.:appl:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second getting an appraisal. Old mine cuts tend to be rather imperfect in some respects, the shape isn't always uniform, girdle thickness varies quite a bit and sometimes the girdle will be frosted, old mine cuts were handcut often by candlelight which explains some of these characteristics.

Here is a link I found that talks about this particular cut:
https://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/old-mine-cut-diamond/

My guess (not an expert) is that it is a new diamond cut like an old one because it looks pretty uniform in shape from the pictures you shared. Whatever the case it is gorgeous and full of sparkle and looks great on you! Congrats on your engagement!

katiekat21

Rough_Rock
I second getting an appraisal. Old mine cuts tend to be rather imperfect in some respects, the shape isn't always uniform, girdle thickness varies quite a bit and sometimes the girdle will be frosted, old mine cuts were handcut often by candlelight which explains some of these characteristics.

Here is a link I found that talks about this particular cut:
https://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/old-mine-cut-diamond/

My guess (not an expert) is that it is a new diamond cut like an old one because it looks pretty uniform in shape from the pictures you shared. Whatever the case it is gorgeous and full of sparkle and looks great on you! Congrats on your engagement!

Thank you for the insights! The report shows the symmetry is fair, which is another thing that would lead me to believe it’s older.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@katiekat21, certainly possible, I would concentrate on finding a knowledgeable appraiser experienced with antique diamonds. It will be good to have one anyways for insurance purposes.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a warmer color? Sometimes the older cushions have warmer colors-just another clue. Also how polished are the facets?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results