shape
carat
color
clarity

Is jewelry a good gift?

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
Coming soon is my girlfriend's birthday. I want to make her a memorable birthday by giving her a special gift. I am wondering if I should give jewelry as a gift or give it something else. Hope everyone can advise me so I can choose the right gift.
Thanks everyone.

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes jewellery is a great gift, however, be warned that some ladies, myself included, have very strong personal tastes and preferences, and are very difficult to please!

I would prefer to choose my own jewellery rather than to be given a piece that is not to my liking.

Perhaps suggest to go shopping with your g/f for her to choose something she likes, agreeing on a budget beforehand?

DK =)2

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure that she is a jewellery person? I have several friends who never wear jewellery, only a watch. As @dk168 said a lot of ladies prefer to choose their own because it is such a very personal choice. I include myself in this bracket. I told my husband when we first got married to never buy me jewellery as a gift unless I had picked it out myself=)2

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, not sure really. I’ve never been given a piece of jewellery as a surprise that I have loved, I now buy my own things. If you stick to classics (ie, diamond studs, pearl studs, simple pendants etc) you could be OK. Personal taste is a major thing in jewellery buying. And never, ever buy a ring in case its meaning is misconstrued or you intended being engaged :???:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The Very Best Ever!!! I do think that just about everyone would love a pair of diamond studs to begin with. Either way I would love the gesture and surprise. If she hates what you buy? That can happen with anything but you can then just exchange. I think even those ladies who are not bling addicts would happily wear diamond stud earrings (my suggestion) or perhaps a simple solitaire pendant. I doubt she would hate them lol.:))) just don’t go for something really flashy and unusual the first time around. If she has the basics and loves bling? Come back and report please. Much depends on her. Does she have pinterest?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s best to take her to the jewelry store. My husband bought me champagne diamond studs that he ended up wearing himself. My engagement ring almost ended up with a princess cut stone until I said “nay.”

Maybe take her there and set a budget to choose whatever she wishes?

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
Yes jewellery is a great gift, however, be warned that some ladies, myself included, have very strong personal tastes and preferences, and are very difficult to please!

I would prefer to choose my own jewellery rather than to be given a piece that is not to my liking.

Perhaps suggest to go shopping with your g/f for her to choose something she likes, agreeing on a budget beforehand?

DK =)2

Thanks you for comment

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
Are you sure that she is a jewellery person? I have several friends who never wear jewellery, only a watch. As @dk168 said a lot of ladies prefer to choose their own because it is such a very personal choice. I include myself in this bracket. I told my husband when we first got married to never buy me jewellery as a gift unless I had picked it out myself=)2

I just wanted to give her a very special gift.

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, not sure really. I’ve never been given a piece of jewellery as a surprise that I have loved, I now buy my own things. If you stick to classics (ie, diamond studs, pearl studs, simple pendants etc) you could be OK. Personal taste is a major thing in jewellery buying. And never, ever buy a ring in case its meaning is misconstrued or you intended being engaged :???:

Thanks you so much

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
The Very Best Ever!!! I do think that just about everyone would love a pair of diamond studs to begin with. Either way I would love the gesture and surprise. If she hates what you buy? That can happen with anything but you can then just exchange. I think even those ladies who are not bling addicts would happily wear diamond stud earrings (my suggestion) or perhaps a simple solitaire pendant. I doubt she would hate them lol.:))) just don’t go for something really flashy and unusual the first time around. If she has the basics and loves bling? Come back and report please. Much depends on her. Does she have pinterest?

Thanks you.

BarryReed

Rough_Rock
I think it’s best to take her to the jewelry store. My husband bought me champagne diamond studs that he ended up wearing himself. My engagement ring almost ended up with a princess cut stone until I said “nay.”

Maybe take her there and set a budget to choose whatever she wishes?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
If the person likes jewelry, absolutely.
However, even amongst jewelry lovers everyone has different tastes, so I’d either try to figure out what she likes or take her to the store and have her pick something out.
I love jewelry and just keep a wishlist of items on my favorite sites so that my husband can pick something out as needed, that way I always get something that I want/like. That’s always an option!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.