shape
carat
color
clarity

Is J too low a color for a halo'd center stone?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello my fellow PSers, I am in the process to look for a cushion halo ring. I found a couple real nice J colored stones but I am afraid the yellow tint will become obvious when it is halo's ( I assume the melees will be around G color). Do you own/see any J colored halos and what is your opinion about it? What would you recommend as the lowest possible color for the center stone in a halo setting? I appreciate it a lot for your input!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on your color sensitivity. For me yes, haloing a J diamond with G melee will highlight the tint. Some people like that contrast and some (like me) do not. It's a matter of your aesthetic and there is no right or wrong. Just what you will enjoy. I am very color sensitive fwiw and others might not notice a difference and still others might but not mind or even like the contrast. YMMV. No right or wrong.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think lower colour melee might be available, you could ask some of the vendors (maybe David Klass or similar) if that’s an option?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pricescopenewbie Perhaps you might find these threads helpful.

HTH

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have an up close picture of the stone? Some stones will show more color than others due to the cut.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I remain with the impression that these tints that are not strong enough to even be seen as 'color', are more aparent - in contrast with whatever is just near them [all else equal, I am taking into account what there is to say about brilliance and transparent colors around here already].

What would I do? Consider settings with some yellow gold, especially this - www - I will certainly remember this ring for a long time & not least for its use of yellow gold.

If you feel everything disapoints, try single cut melee: the cut has so much more contrast, their color reads very differently.

Or change the J; if you so hate the tint, there is no point, a cluster or hallo will always be more of a show than a solitaire, whatever size you are starting with [everyone needs a seven stone cluster - I've just seen my first!] .

2c

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would either try getting J melees or going no lower than H, maybe I, but I am also very color sensitive. It will also depend on the cut of stone, if it's a well-cut MRB, you can get away with a lower color as it will face up whiter. If it's a step-cut, I would definitely get the same color center and melees.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d agree with PPs about matching the melee if you opt for the J. Cushions have a tendency to concentrate color compared to rounds. When I was looking for my perfect One, I had a beautifully cut I color and it clearly stood out. While I love lower colors, it wasn’t what I wanted for that particular ring, so I went on the search again to find a better match - I ended up with a G.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are having the halo made to fit your diamond, it is a simple matter of speaking with your jeweler to get lower color melee.

Wink

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
All, Thank you so much for all the good suggestions! looks like I have two options - either to find a higher color stone or go with lower color melee (or single cut melees). I think I need to go to a jewelry store and take a look at some J color stones and decide if I like that color range or not. I appreciate it a lot for your help!

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You definitely need to see if you are okay with a J... do look under many lighting settings.
If you still think you are okay with J, I would suggest you get melee to match.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps I missed it but who graded the diamond? GIA report or another lab? That makes a difference IMO. Is it really a J or is it lower than a J? And is it a high J or a lower J?

Definitely need to see it in person in all different lighting environments before deciding if you will love a "J" or need to go higher.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I have a GIA K that I considered putting in a halo. I ultimately decided the contrast would bother me. One thing that helped me decide was looking at sites like James Allen and Blue Nile, where they have 360 videos of recently purchased rings. You can really see the color contrast between the stone and the halo when the ring is being viewed from the side. Maybe take a look and see if you can find any J's, or see at what color the contrast isn't visible to you.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
My J round brilliant was set in a halo of H stones and it worked very well. I think cushions show colour a bit more, though, so it might not work as well.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello my fellow PSers, I am in the process to look for a cushion halo ring. I found a couple real nice J colored stones but I am afraid the yellow tint will become obvious when it is halo's ( I assume the melees will be around G color). Do you own/see any J colored halos and what is your opinion about it? What would you recommend as the lowest possible color for the center stone in a halo setting? I appreciate it a lot for your input!
[/QUOT

J is not a problem to do a Halo. Having a beautifully cut diamond with loads of fire will be stunning. First off the choice of metal is important. I wouldn't go with a yellow gold setting for the halo I'd go with Platinum and as for the stones in the halo, go with similarly graded diamonds or sapphires, rubies. It'll be beautiful.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a J stone with an H colour full cut melee stones & no issues. They blend. My ring was made by David Klass but as Wink mentioned, just ask your vendor to find lower color melee.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for sharing your experience! I was thinking to focus on I color and up. now you guys make me really go back and consider J again ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A J haloed by Gs would bug me, but an R S T U V W X Y Z wouldn't.
Those would look like they weren't supposed to pass as matching in color with G melee.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@kenny you have a good point actually that contrast makes the center stone pop up and is real pretty imo. So are the yellow diamond centers

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
As someone else said, it depends on the J. If it's closer to an I then I think it should be fine in a higher coloured halo. If it's closer to a K, it's worth checking to see what the stone looks like next to higher colours in white gold/platinum.

Chas23

Rough_Rock
Trade
I always thought J was just a ting too much for a halo. If you could go just a bit smaller or one clarity down it would be better. Sometimes there are lines to draw and this is one of them for me.

Charles Ciarfello
Good Old Gold, Inc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am laughing right now because d'oh :doh: I have a GIA J OEC in a halo setting. :lol:

This wasn't my setting choice rather the OEC I fell in love with came with this setting and temporarily while I think about what final setting I want I am keeping her in this setting. It is I think a setting from the 1950s so not true to the age of the OEC at all and not old cut diamonds in the halo. And while I do not know the color of the halo diamonds I do not notice a color disparity (could be because they are entirely different diamonds and also the size is dramatically different as well) and this setting is pleasing to my eye and will do quite well as a temp setting.

The reason I am not keeping her in this forever is because at heart I am a solitaire girl for my engagement ring. Got engaged with a soli and married with a soli and up to 2018 I wore a solitaire ER. Yes I have gone through a number of ER diamonds and settings lol but this diamond is "the one" for me forever. Just haven't gotten around to finding the HG setting for my HG diamond quite yet.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but it struck my funny bone that I have the exact color diamond in a halo that you were asking about and I answered your post and didn't even think about my ring. Of course the main difference is my diamond is an OEC and we are comparing apples and oranges but if it helps you at all here is a photo.

In the foyer of our apartment. No overhead lights on...just natural daylight coming through the windows.

And outside this winter on the beach.

bubbalahthiswinteronbeach.png

Mr_GL

Rough_Rock
Hey , I was in similar situation . I have given my mum a J color stone with G/H color melee . It looks white on face up however I do see slight yellowish from side view sometimes. Overall I am really happy with my purchase. Attached are pics under sunlight.
730626 730625

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
So I am laughing right now because d'oh :doh: I have a GIA J OEC in a halo setting. :lol:

This wasn't my setting choice rather the OEC I fell in love with came with this setting and temporarily while I think about what final setting I want I am keeping her in this setting. It is I think a setting from the 1950s so not true to the age of the OEC at all and not old cut diamonds in the halo. And while I do not know the color of the halo diamonds I do not notice a color disparity (could be because they are entirely different diamonds and also the size is dramatically different as well) and this setting is pleasing to my eye and will do quite well as a temp setting.

The reason I am not keeping her in this forever is because at heart I am a solitaire girl for my engagement ring. Got engaged with a soli and married with a soli and up to 2018 I wore a solitaire ER. Yes I have gone through a number of ER diamonds and settings lol but this diamond is "the one" for me forever. Just haven't gotten around to finding the HG setting for my HG diamond quite yet.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but it struck my funny bone that I have the exact color diamond in a halo that you were asking about and I answered your post and didn't even think about my ring. Of course the main difference is my diamond is an OEC and we are comparing apples and oranges but if it helps you at all here is a photo.

In the foyer of our apartment. No overhead lights on...just natural daylight coming through the windows.

bubbalahfacetsyummy.png

And outside this winter on the beach.

bubbalahthiswinteronbeach.png

Oh @missy that OEC is to die for! I don't think the setting will ever matter because all the attention will be on her! Actually I have seen her at different spots on PS and have been drooling! I didn't realize she is a J. When you see her light performance you forget to notice other specs.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hey , I was in similar situation . I have given my mum a J color stone with G/H color melee . It looks white on face up however I do see slight yellowish from side view sometimes. Overall I am really happy with my purchase. Attached are pics under sunlight.
IMG_20200115_171601.jpg IMG_20200115_171541.jpg

@Mr_GL that is an elegant ring! That's exactly what I like about halo! She looks white and blend well with the melees. Now you got me back to think of that J cushion I have been eyeing on... thank you for sharing her!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy that OEC is to die for! I don't think the setting will ever matter because all the attention will be on her! Actually I have seen her at different spots on PS and have been drooling! I didn't realize she is a J. When you see her light performance you forget to notice other specs.

Thank you @pricescopenewbie! I appreciate your kind compliments very much. Sometimes I think I am posting too many photos :oops: but I hope that my fellow bling lovers are enjoying them and not minding I go overboard.

I think she will look different in a solitaire and I just hope she will look beautiful like you said no matter what I choose for her final setting. Because until I do it I just won't know and while my dh is wonderful and generous I do not want to reset her only to have to reset her again if you kwim. Plus with healthcare costs rising I have to be more careful now. My meds are crazy expensive. :( But I digress. Thank you again for your lovely comments. ♥

I hope whatever you decide upon will make this your dream ring. I am excited for you on your journey and looking forward to seeing your beautiful new ring.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@missy please keep posting her! It is sad a lot beautiful jewels "disappear" after they become personal collections. I appreciate you and a lot PSers here to share your wonderful pieces so we can still admire them although we don't have the opportunity to own them. As a jewelry lover, they always enlighten my day!

We happen to own an expensive hobby: diamonds, settings, reset, updates......they are all costly and that journey seems never ends. BUT, I see it as a great investment to our mental health :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy please keep posting her! It is sad a lot beautiful jewels "disappear" after they become personal collections. I appreciate you and a lot PSers here to share your wonderful pieces so we can still admire them although we don't have the opportunity to own them. As a jewelry lover, they always enlighten my day!

We happen to own an expensive hobby: diamonds, settings, reset, updates......they are all costly and that journey seems never ends. BUT, I see it as a great investment to our mental health :lol:

Thank you! And I agree wholeheartedly with this.
"I see it as a great investment to our mental health"

Truth. :appl:

Vivatwo

Rough_Rock
1D9CC5E2-D3C7-4700-859A-AA89E7A62F11.jpeg 31ADCFFD-A6FC-4E6D-BA9E-8233B463814D.jpeg

I have an I coloured 2.51 cushion cut, GIA graded diamond. I prefer it over my G 2.36 RB, AGS graded. Both are haloed by G-H stones. The cushion's halo is more dainty, which would make the colour difference less noticeable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results