shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth it to upgrade to a 1.25 ct diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stremblay16

Rough_Rock
First off I would like to thank everyone for posting. You make this extremely difficult decision a little easier with your opinions. Here is my story. I have just recently purchased a D. Vatche x prong with the channel round diamonds. My question is right now I have a gorgeous 1 ct diamond E color and a SI 1, got it for what I believe to be a pretty reasonable price. My question is would it be worth it to upgrade that diamond to a size like a 1.25 ct if have money left within my budget?? Or would a more significant change in a diamond size would be to go to a 1.50, in that case I would not be able to afford and would have to stay with the 1.00 stone.

Thanks again!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you want a bigger stone than a full carat? If so, and if you can afford it, do so. There is a difference in size but look at some in a jewelery store just to see ift you can tell the difference.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... 1.25 should be about 7mm, versus the 6.5 of your current 1ct. You will definitely see some difference up close on your hand, even if the jump is not stryking
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping proportions in place, this is about it:
4.gif

size1251.JPG

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
You can't really see the diamond's size from pictures. A diamond's crown is alike a little convex lens. So, the apparent size when you look it it is much bigger than the actual measured size.... and the bigger the lens, the greater the optical illusion.
1.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
0.01c (not even worth 2cents)

If you already own, the 1c, you'll probably lose money on the upgrade vs. having bought the larger stone originally. I'd want to see a bigger size increase before going through the effort.

If you love it but want more bling, what about studs or a pendant?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you compared diamond sizes at a jewelery store. This is the best way to answer this. Everyone has different ideas of what size is perfect and all that, so comparing is the best way to figure this out.

Good luck

Michelle

stremblay16

Rough_Rock
I actually only paid the price of the setting (so it can be ordered) and have a 100 dollar deposit on the diamond. If I look for a bigger one at the place I have the deposit in I am sure they would waive that 100. Thank you for all the great feedback. Anyones ideal situation would get the biggest best quality diamond for there money. I am just wondering if upgrading to the 1.25 would be worth it. Thanks again!

stremblay16

Rough_Rock
I have looked at different diamonds sizes but I have not yet to see a 1.25. Seen a 1.50 but know that is out of the question
22.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
So, you want more size but have a budget
confused.gif

Have you seriously looked at changing your requirements?

See the great pics in this thread Pics of my Bezel Set RHR - YAY!

I'm not suggesting a J is right for you but if you were to drop to an F or G, you could find a beautiful diamond in a noticeably larger size, and stay within your budget. Remember, D color is rare and is not considered the best value color.

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/edu...diamond-eye-catching-or-beautiful-t15002.html

I read size (spread) and cut are the two key factors in making a beautiful diamond. Color is not mentioned /idealbb/images/smilies/confused.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd say that I think there IS a noticeable difference between a 1 ct and a 1.25 carat...and not just side-by-side.

Only you, though, can determine if it's worth the upgraded price.

stremblay16

Rough_Rock
So now I think I am going to begin my search for the 1.25 ct. Thank you all for the posts.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I, too, think that you will definitely notice the difference between a 1.00 and a 1.25, and personally, I would go for it in a heartbeat!
naughty.gif

I have read (and I agree) that a good "rule of thumb" is that generally you will (readily) notice a 20% size difference... and 1.25 is more than 20% of 1.00.

I don't know anyone who regrets getting a larger size diamond when it is affordable or achievable. I just can't think that you'd ever regret the upgrade!

Just my (humble!) 2 cents,
Lynn

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I'd also go up to the 1.25 in a heartbeat. The size difference is quite noticable to me and also, so many people have one carat stones, that anything bigger tends to get my attention. You might check though...If you've ordered the Vatche x-prong to fit a 6.5mm center stone, you may have to change the order so it will accomodate a 7mm stone.

stremblay16

Rough_Rock
Lynn B and Patty thanks for the encouragement. Patty I was thinking about what you said and I actually have a email out to the customer service of dvatche asking how they would handle it a larger diamond in the setting I have ordered. Thank you again for all your opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results