shape
carat
color
clarity

is it very difficult to re-size a platinum ring ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

malidd

Rough_Rock
my jeweler said it is very difficult and expensive to re-size a platinum ring, just wonder anybody has experience ?? thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
huh? if the band is plain, it''s not difficult at all. some vendors will even do free sizing for life. it''s recommened to not do it over and over to the same ring b/c it can weaken the metal but unless it''s a diamond encrused pave ring or something, sizing isn''t usually a problem. as for cost, I think my local guy charged under $50 for a 1/2 size down.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert on this at all, but I recently resized my e-ring and it wasn''t a problem. I was having it sized from a 6.5 to a 7.75, so it was a significant re-sizing I was really worried about the prongs shifting, but the stone seems to be secure.

Several years ago I was having another piece of jewelry sized down (from a 6.5 to a 6.25) and it opened up the prongs so the little diamonds in the band kept coming out. The repairs were covered by the jeweller, but eventually they just made me a new ring in my size. We didn''t buy the e-ring from this jeweller.

The boutique where my FI bought my e-ring is very reputable and I trusted that they would do a good job. I know that they offer free sizing for the life of the ring and I think that''s the status quo for jewellers. I would take it to where you bought the ring to be sized unless for some reason you don''t trust them to do it correctly.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plain platinum is not a problem at all. But many jewelers who do not work with platinum will try and convince you to get white gold because they can service it in house. You need much different equipment to work with platinum and many jewelers just aren''t in that market.

malidd

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone !

half of my ring band is covered by small pave diamonds, maybe that''s why the jeweler said it''s difficult to re-size.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 5:37:33 PM
Author: malidd
thanks everyone !

half of my ring band is covered by small pave diamonds, maybe that''s why the jeweler said it''s difficult to re-size.
Yes, this is probably the case. It is very difficult to re-size pave rings because the stones will pop out or continue to have problems if not done properly, if the sizing is a large amount, or if there is not enough space on the ring without stones on it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 5:37:33 PM
Author: malidd
thanks everyone !

makes all the difference. pave rings really shouldn''t be sized much, if at all. you jeweler is correct...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2007 3:38:17 PM
Author: neatfreak
Plain platinum is not a problem at all. But many jewelers who do not work with platinum will try and convince you to get white gold because they can service it in house. You need much different equipment to work with platinum and many jewelers just aren''t in that market.
Well this too makes sense. Cause I was told that plain plat (not PAVE) was expensive to resize! I guess I should ask a different jeweler! Pave I could understand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results