shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it true that you cannot differentiate a lab diamond from a natural diamonds if there is no inscription?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. The Lightbox stone I bought was a 1 carat solitaire necklace and there's no inscription, which is fine with me. I did wonder what the purpose would be? I was thinking it was there so that people would be able to easily identify a stone as a lab diamond. LB says there's an inscription on their stones over .2 carat, but I bought directly from them, so no, it's not always there.
At their prices, I'm not complaining. I know the LB stones aren't mined diamonds, and I'm fine with that.
Thanks in advance!

Are you sure there’s no LB inscription? They use lasers to inscribe INSIDE the diamond, and the inscription is tiny. I saw mine with a microscope.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my wife's LGD throwing off some fire this morning, posted in a thread with mostly mined diamonds:

On a side note...the white steams shooting out from the sides: is that normal?

Perhaps the light is reflecting off the metal?

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure there’s no LB inscription? They use lasers to inscribe INSIDE the diamond, and the inscription is tiny. I saw mine with a microscope.

Hmmmn. Well, I'm pretty sure. A jeweler told me it wasn't there, but anything is possible. I'm really not concerned about it, (I bought straight from Lightbox), but I am curious what the purpose of it is. My thinking was it would deter people from trying to pass a lab diamond off as a mined diamond, but maybe there's another reason. Thanks for the info -- no microscope here (lol), and I'm not sure if my jeweler used one or not, so maybe it is there after all!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmn. Well, I'm pretty sure. A jeweler told me it wasn't there, but anything is possible. I'm really not concerned about it, (I bought straight from Lightbox), but I am curious what the purpose of it is. My thinking was it would deter people from trying to pass a lab diamond off as a mined diamond, but maybe there's another reason. Thanks for the info -- no microscope here (lol), and I'm not sure if my jeweler used one or not, so maybe it is there after all!

LB diamonds are inscribed with the logo under the table. Maybe your jeweler was checking for a girdle inscription?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. The Lightbox stone I bought was a 1 carat solitaire necklace and there's no inscription, which is fine with me. I did wonder what the purpose would be? I was thinking it was there so that people would be able to easily identify a stone as a lab diamond. LB says there's an inscription on their stones over .2 carat, but I bought directly from them, so no, it's not always there.
At their prices, I'm not complaining. I know the LB stones aren't mined diamonds, and I'm fine with that.
Thanks in advance!

Hi @lindam1503 Did you check the table with a loupe? There is laser etching of a triangle/pyramid logo on the table, and not on the girdle of my Lightbox necklaces. Can only be seen with my 60X illuminated loupe!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I guess the last 3-4 posts were done at the same time!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am curious what the purpose of it is.
It's the same purpose as the VIN number on your car, or any other serial number really. It helps to identify the stone should occasion every require. They are a little hard to find sometimes, and it's always possible there's an error and they didn't put it on. Mistakes happen. That 0.20 rule has been in place for as long as the brand.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
It's the same purpose as the VIN number on your car, or any other serial number really. It helps to identify the stone should occasion every require. They are a little hard to find sometimes, and it's always possible there's an error and they didn't put it on. Mistakes happen. That 0.20 rule has been in place for as long as the brand.

Thanks! I understand the VIN number analogy :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results