shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it true? I read from this magazine..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
I subscribed to this magazine called "solitaire pro" which reported that....

"Researchers at the Carnegie Institution''s geophysical Laboratory have made a scientific breakthrough-they are able to produce a colourless 10 carat diamond in the laboratory in just a matter of hours. The half-inch-thick single crystal diamonds are created at rapid growth rates of 100 micrometres per hour using a chemical vapour deposition (CVD) process. The size is approximately five times that of commercially available diamonds produced by standard HPHT methods and other CVD techniques.

Presently, colourless diamonds are costly to produce, and are mostly small in size. Large and flawless ones over 3 carats are difficult to create using the conventional approach. The Carnegie researchers also grew gem-quality diamonds sequentially on six faces of a substrate diamond plate using the CVD process to increase the size of the crystals.

They achieved three dimensional growth of a colourless single-crystal diamond in the inch-range (300ct). New shapes have also been fabricated with the blocks of the CVD single crystals, allowing for new type of scientific experiments"

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Yeewl. Thanks for the info. I knew that Carnegie was doing some fascinating work with the CVD process, but wasn''t aware of them achieving this level of growth. I''ll make a few calls to see if those figures are accurate.

Marty Haske and myself just met with the chief research scientist of Gemesis, Rob Chadelko PhD, a couple days ago. CVD stones were discussed along with other topics, with no mention of an increased growth rate. I''ll be curious to see if this is correct. The non-industry press is notorious for incorrect info.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is another thread around here some place with links to pictures of the stone they created.
It was 10ct but yellowish with dark carbon stots.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/1/2005 2:52:49 AM
Author:yeewl
I subscribed to this magazine called ''solitaire pro'' which reported that....

''Researchers at the Carnegie Institution''s geophysical Laboratory have made a scientific breakthrough-they are able to produce a colourless 10 carat diamond in the laboratory in just a matter of hours. The half-inch-thick single crystal diamonds are created at rapid growth rates of 100 micrometres why do the spin doctors use nondescript measurement terms unless they wish to exaggerate the growth rate?per hour using a chemical vapour deposition (CVD) process. The size is approximately five times that of commercially available diamonds produced by standard HPHT methods and other CVD techniques.

Presently, colourless diamonds are costly to produce, and are mostly small in size. Large and flawless ones over 3 carats are difficult to create using the conventional approach. The Carnegie researchers also grew gem-quality diamonds sequentially on six faces of a substrate diamond plate using the CVD process to increase the size of the crystals.

They achieved three dimensional growth of a colourless single-crystal diamond in the inch-range give us factual data not "ranges" - this is all PR hype designed to get venture capitol (300ct). New shapes have also been fabricated with the blocks of the CVD single crystals, allowing for new type of scientific experiments''

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeewl,

Did the authors mention that the colorless crystal that Carnegie grew was not transparent or that their usage of the term ''colourless'' is not the same as it''s common usage in diamond industry?

Date: 7/1/2005 2:52:49 AM
Author:yeewl

Large and flawless ones over 3 carats are difficult to create using the conventional approach.
This is absolutely true. Breeding flying pigs is also difficult using the conventional approach.

The people at Carnegie make no claim of any jewelry potential for their products although I''m sure they will love it if this turns out to be the case. The fact that the people doing the work don''t see this potential is remarkably absent from most of these articles. Hmmm. At the same time, most consumers aren''t very interested in the industrial ramifications of CVD diamonds (which are considerable). Remember, they aren’t selling diamonds, not even industrial research diamonds. They’re selling magazines.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Hello again,

I only received the magazine (Solitaire PRO-The trade magazine for insiders) yesterday and what i had written were the exact words that the magazine printed. You may try to access to this website: www.solitaire-pro.com and see if you are able to find out more.

Hope that I did not open a can of worms....

Regards

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Hi again,

I had copied the entire column. The authors did not mentioned anything else.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Beaty

Did the authors mention that the colorless crystal that Carnegie grew was not transparent or that their usage of the term ''colourless'' is not the same as it''s common usage in diamond industry?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Somehow and this is JMO I think that if these created stoens were going to be used for jewlery the fuss being made would be bigger. But I tend not to trust any info that is publsihed in magazines prior to a ton of peer review and the data being replicated, or in this case the created diamonds. Still I wonder how it would effect the industrial type diamond industry. Now I need more
34.gif
off to bother engineering boys.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I made some calls today, and found out that producing the CVD crystal mentioned requires multiple etching procedures and the final product is not white and loaded with large stresses.

Additionally, the technology is not proven out and needs several years of work prior to an impact on the (gem) market, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results