shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible

chrion777

Rough_Rock
Do diamonds ever get swapped by mall jewelers? How long does it take to swap? I'm a little nervous to get vit cleaned in a store since they take them in the back.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I would say it would take longer than a few seconds of cleaning.

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
You can get your own ultra-sonic cleaner and do it yourself!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not likely. Most jewelers don't want to face jail time for one diamond ;))

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Although I am sure that switch-a-roos happen, I just don't think it happens enough for you to be worried about it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it shouldn't be a worry, but I think it is best to only use high quality jewelers whose reputation means more to them than doing illegal things. I wouldn't use a mall jeweler unless it was a high end one.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, it's possible, but highly unlikely. It takes some seriously specialized skills, some specialized tools, an inventory of exactly the right things and a screwed up moral code. The mall stores are in very high rent locations, they tend to be owned by large corporations backed by big money, and they tend to hire low wage and low skill workers. They would be hard pressed logistically to do it and they have a lot to lose and very little to gain. If you're seriously worried about it, get an insurance policy first. That doesn't make it any less likely that someone will steal your diamond but it does make it someone elses problem. FWIW, the insurance companies cover this and a whole list of other perils for a fee of about 1%/year and they're making a profit at that. That tells me that they too think the risk is low and that their claims histories support this.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
it would take longer than even a 5 min cleaning in the back them to unset your stone- set it with one similar in size and then bring out to you. Is your stone inscribed with the lab document #? Do you have a clarity plot that you can verify under their microsope upon giving them the ring and then taking it back?

chrion777

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for helping me with new ring jitters :)

Yes I have the AGS cert with the clarity plot, and also it is inscribed on the girdle, but I don't have my own loop yet, it's on it's way. From previous experience, it's still pretty hard to read the inscription even under 10x.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
chrion777|1329853562|3131010 said:
Thanks everyone for helping me with new ring jitters :)

Yes I have the AGS cert with the clarity plot, and also it is inscribed on the girdle, but I don't have my own loop yet, it's on it's way. From previous experience, it's still pretty hard to read the inscription even under 10x.

You are in great shape then. Don't hesitate to take it for cleaning to a reputable jeweler. Let them know it is inscribed (take a copy of the cert with you) and ask them to verify the inscription for you. A good jeweler will do this at take-in anyway. When it is completed ask him to show you the inscription. A microscope makes this quite a bit easier, but you can do it with a loupe.

Like others have said, I think the risk of intentional switch by a reputable jeweler is very very minimal. In the rare cases where a switch occurs, it is most likely unintentional. Inscription is a great defense against that, for everyone's sake. I have a theory that the perception in the market that diamond switching is a real danger has more to do with the effects of cleaning! That is, diamonds often undergo a total transformation when cleaned, and look completely different. Sometimes features that were not visible for years because the diamond was so dirty now become obvious. This leads some people to erroneously think the jeweler swithhed the stone. Also, the customer is likely to be inspecting the piece more critically than ever before after getting it back from the jeweler.

Please do not hesitate to get your diamond cleaned. Like cars and houses, they look much better that way! Just relax and use good judgement on how you go about it. And yes, there are some great products that you can get to do it yourself at home.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup. What Texas said about the inscription viewing process :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results