shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to lighten a dark emerald?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone!
All the experts here have opened my eyes to gemstone possibilities and got me thinking... is it possible to lighten a dark emerald?

My situation... I have a Colombian emerald that is quite dark, at least darker than I would prefer. I recently purchased a Colombian that is lighter in color which I really like. This made me think... is it possible to lighten an emerald? For example, can one remove all treatment and put in new treatment? Would that help with color? If that even possible or any other thoughts to lighten an emerald? If yes, do you have any recommendations of who might provide this service?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No - think there is no treatment to do this.

Otherwise only recutting...

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @nosea and @Allgems I think I will probably get rid of it. Maybe someone who prefers darker emeralds will enjoy it more.

Bummer I can’t lighten it. Thanks for your help.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Miki Moto, would you post a picture of the dark emerald please?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
75D9207B-55FE-4B95-9C20-67D482AC6439.jpeg C8B0217B-252C-4C4F-8463-77CF8ED2B084.jpeg 15B31254-2EB0-4BAD-A263-F89437DEECE2.jpeg 503A39FC-385F-4DE0-8880-1F99CB375A3C.jpeg @tonysgeko Hi! Here are some photos of my emerald. The color changes in different light so I posted a few. You can also see it compared to a new emerald I just bought at the Tucson gem show. The photo of the three loose emeralds are the ones I was considering at the gem show. I almost got the little darker ones because they actually looked so pretty (mich better than this photo), but then I had to stop myself because it seems to me, I prefer the lighter color ones to the classic darker ones. Live and learn. I’ll just get rid of it since I can’t “bleach” it light! You can see I like much mighter emeralds.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please share!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I like the setting too!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it an open back setting? If so, I'm wondering if you could close the back in a high white metal to reflect the colour back to the eye. To see if it'll work, get some tin foil (the type you use for cooking - sorry not sure what it's called in the US) and try to make a temporary back with it.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To see if it'll work, get some tin foil (the type you use for cooking - sorry not sure what it's called in the US) and try to make a temporary back with it.
Aluminum foil.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it an open back setting? If so, I'm wondering if you could close the back in a high white metal to reflect the colour back to the eye. To see if it'll work, get some tin foil (the type you use for cooking - sorry not sure what it's called in the US) and try to make a temporary back with it.

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion. It does have an open back, and I am going to try putting aluminum foil completely on the back when I get home (I am traveling for a few days).

Your comment made me think...
With your aluminum foil comment, ignoring my dark emerald, as a general statement, would a closed white metal head make any stone lighter or darker? For example, I purchased a new lighter emerald and I was going to put in a flat bezel/halo setting. Do you think would make the stone darker?

Also, I was going to use platinum but YG prongs and/or bezel only because the dealer said he recommended YG around the emerald. Do you have thought on platinum vs YG prongs?

Above all else, I am in fear of dark stones once it is mounted.

Thank you for your input.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results