shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to improve a polish on a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible to improve a polish on a diamond (from a good grade to ideal grade) to give it a better grade?

I know its not really possible improving the symmetry since it probably involves grinding down some surface some carat weight.

I am wondering if polish can be "redone" with minimal lost in carat weight.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Case by case. Usually there is something going on with the facet of the stone, such as graining of the facet, to prevent the cutter from giving it a better polish.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/12/2009 3:09:44 PM
Author:haagen_dazs
Is it possible to improve a polish on a diamond (from a good grade to ideal grade) to give it a better grade?

I know its not really possible improving the symmetry since it probably involves grinding down some surface some carat weight.

I am wondering if polish can be ''redone'' with minimal lost in carat weight.
Basically..., polishing an existing facet should not lose weight or change facet size/dimensions if done correctly by an experienced cutter...
Although different issue''s (like a facet parallel to the natural plane and some inclusions) on some occasions can stop a cutter from reaching Excellent results...

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With an experience cutter in most cases yes. However, unless the polish grade is really low, it doesn''t impact the diamond''s price significantly.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results