shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it OEC? Transitional? Either way it's pretty.

Amphoteric

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've been lurking and reading and trying to educate myself as much as possible as I was in the market for an antique diamond. I finally found the diamond that stopped me dead in my tracks and it was in a beautiful platinum deco setting to boot. I purchased it from a B&M Jeweler after seeing it online so I was able to see it in person in the store first. This is a jeweler that deals sometimes in antique diamonds but may not be experts in the field. The diamond is uncertified but I am absolutely in love with it. The question is, I'm not quite sure what to make of the (absolutely beautiful) facet pattern. I've tried to educate myself as much as possible but I would appreciate some expert eyes. It was sold to me as an estimated J VS1 1.86ct 7.99x8.01mm late OEC. To my untrained eye, it's likely more of a L-M-N, as it does have a yellow tint in profile, which is not an issue to me. As far as the OEC, that is the questions, as the facet patterning looks more like a transitional cut to me, with the very distinct star under the table and the larger table, which I crudely estimated through measuring my photos to be 55%-60%. It has a very small culet that is not really visible in these photos. It alsonhas the most beautiful transition zones and I finally understand what people mean by the diamond looking like it turns on-and-off as you move it! The diamonds it most closely resembles (to me) are the ones that Dreamer included in her transitionals chart here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...1mm-european-cut-diamond.177658/#post-3233683

I realize this is splitting hairs as the late OEC-Transitional cut can be more a spectrum than distinct categories, but I'd love to get your opinion. Unfortunately, the photos are not the best as they're from my phone (and there was a fingerprint right on the table, oops) but I tried to select the photos that best display the facetting and structure. I was too star-struck to get bottom photos which I'm kicking myself for now. Thanks in advance!

FullSizeRender_4.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg IMG_2099.PNG FullSizeRender_3.jpg

So you can see the general table size IMG_2123.PNG

Last edited:

Amphoteric

Rough_Rock
and for funsies, here's some fire photos:

IMG_2104.PNG

IMG_2096.PNG

FullSizeRender.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding th one that stops you dead in your tracks!! :lol: I think you've found your stone! It looks like it's got a distinct facet pattern and does feel OEC - tranny. I am feeling more tranny than OEC. Regardless beautiful. I agree about color too. I would guess M. As long as you love staring at it, and think you have a winner. More pictures please and give that girl a really good cleaning! Warm water with dishwashing liquid and brush gently. And I'll post pics of an M tranny that was stunning.

Amphoteric

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on finding th one that stops you dead in your tracks!! :lol: I think you've found your stone! It looks like it's got a distinct facet pattern and does feel OEC - tranny. I agree about cooo too. I would guess M. As long as you love staring at it, and think you have a winner. More pictures please and give that girl a really good cleaning! Warm water with dishwashing liquid and brush gently. Hand shots, outdoor, indoor! Can't wait. And I'll post pics of an M tranny that was stunning.

Thanks so much! Tragically I won't have it on my hand for a month as the store is out of state and the next time I'm going to be there is in June :( It has to be sized pretty significantly as I have giant hands (thanks, Dad), and so they're sending it out to someone with more experience working with old settings. I can't wait. I have a video, I wonder if I can post it somewhere.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2198.JPG This was a tranny I saw at Lang's, also an M. They can be stunningly lively and beautiful. My oec is on the left. The one that reminds me of yours is on the right.

Amphoteric

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the photos! The tint on mine is definitely more noticeable in the photos than in person. I was actually a little surprised when I looked at my photos closely, but I still love it. That central star catches your eye even at an arm's length! I wonder if there is some fluorescence at play here :think: maybe just wishful thinking.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean. Irl at the store the tint isn't as obvious because your eyes are just chasing the sparkle around the diamond. Congratulations!! Sounds like you are in love!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! what a beauty :love: I'd agree with the tranny call - it's got lovely faceting. However will you wait until JUNE?! I love the setting too - it's a beautiful ring. Please post all the pictures when you get it home

Amphoteric

Rough_Rock
WOW! what a beauty :love: I'd agree with the tranny call - it's got lovely faceting. However will you wait until JUNE?! I love the setting too - it's a beautiful ring. Please post all the pictures when you get it home

Thanks! I will be sure to post a smtr thread. The setting is incredible, I'll have to try to get some better detail photos of the filigree. Oddly, I'm more of a yellow gold person but for this one I'll make an exception :)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice! I had never heard about non-modern cuts until I visited PS. Here's to it arriving sooner rather than later!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone and a Transitional Cut.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely find!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and what a perfect setting, great find!

Amphoteric

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! I'm pretty infatuated. So the general consensus seems to be a Transitional Cut. Now, would that put it around the 1920's? The setting certainly has that Art Deco 1920s look and the jewelers believe the diamond has not been removed or reset. I wish I knew more about it, I love knowing the history behind antiques.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results