shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it normal for gemstones to go dark in sunlight?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I saw a beautiful color change sapphire online and requested a video but in the video it was so dark... It wasn’t nearly as nice as the vendor photos.

And then I saw this one that also looks really different in the studio photos vs hand photo. And this one that also looks darker than the vendor photo...

Is this normal? Is this something I need to be aware of when buying gemstones? The search is on but buying gemstones seems way harder than buying diamonds...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it can be tricky. Obviously studio photos or videos are under controlled if not “enhanced” conditions so how it looks in person, where you live, time of the year, inside and outside can be quite different.
thats why it’s best to buy from a vendor who offers a no fuss return if it doesn’t met your expectations.
my royal blue sapphires look quite different under bright sunshine, they look better in the shade and led light is their best friend! My ruby and pink sapphire on the other hand light up neon under bright sunshine.
Its a rare coloured gem that looks optimal under any and every lighting condition.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it can be tricky. Obviously studio photos or videos are under controlled if not “enhanced” conditions so how it looks in person, where you live, time of the year, inside and outside can be quite different.
thats why it’s best to buy from a vendor who offers a no fuss return if it doesn’t met your expectations.
my royal blue sapphires look quite different under bright sunshine, they look better in the shade and led light is their best friend! My ruby and pink sapphire on the other hand light up neon under bright sunshine.
Its a rare coloured gem that looks optimal under any and every lighting condition.

Huh that is difficult... could I avoid the going dark issue by just going with light colored gems?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think even light color gems can go dark in the sunlight. As an example this is the same spinel as in my avatar and as you can see in the sun it looks like a totally different stone! IMG_6694.JPG

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I think even light color gems can go dark in the sunlight. As an example this is the same spinel as in my avatar and as you can see in the sun it looks like a totally different stone! IMG_6694.JPG

I see it. Is going dark considered to be an undesirable trait in gemstones?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it. Is going dark considered to be an undesirable trait in gemstones?

I think with colored gems it's more personal preference. Some don't mind stones that shift gray and others strongly dislike it. Also the degree of darkness matters, if my spinel shifted so dark it went black that would be an undesirable trait for me.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with any coloured gem you have to accept that it probably won’t look fantastic in every lighting condition. Normally you choose a coloured gem for its colour and tone.
the main thing is that you’re happy with it most the time.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think under direct sunlight , some stones look darker. But most gems looks the best at diffused sunlight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, some gems, like indicolite, are infamous for it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires are know to color shift quite a bit in different lighting sources.

Figure out what lighting you will be wearing it in most of the time and buy the color that you like in that lighting, easier said than done.

Spend some time looking at Vendor pictures and PS pictures and see how the different vendor's photos tend to look in PS life. This thread will help you approximate what vendor stones look like before you buy.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the help. I know diamonds do this too but I guess I need to ponder on how much this bothers me in gemstones...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results