Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it impossible to match pear stones with round?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My centre round looks very clear, and my side pears look very white. I have tried to capture it in pictures, but I’m not sure I’ve managed.

3C397287-A3E4-4C24-9482-DD343D119FBE.jpeg 4CBF9732-7A8A-47C9-A123-2C560FD610FB.jpeg 439919AB-8652-4950-9A37-C7DDAAD1B749.jpeg B03E6FBA-6BDA-4EAF-AC43-F7159A7A051E.jpeg 0DFB0268-5C34-4154-85BB-32AD5B9B0C95.jpeg B2B574F8-E39A-4A18-8AD9-CDFC6C969581.jpeg 22612B29-1D7B-495A-879F-B4F47E064E7D.png

What I’m wondering is: Do I have poor quality pear side stones? Or is it just the different cuts performing so differently that is causing this effect?

Thank goodness for Pricescope where such nitpicky questions are hopefully welcome :) because I definitely feel neurotic and a little crazy!

I think the last photo displays the effect the best. In many of the photos I don’t see the difference. But I’m wondering if I should try and upgrade the side-stones or if that’s pointless because pears and rounds will never “match”.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dear sweet husband says that he thinks the contrast is nice, and that it looks beautiful just as it is.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is more to do with the cut reflecting the light differently than colour matching... :think:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the pictures the difference is visible. I have only come across 2 pear sidestones settings twice in my in real life that I think suited my round. Idk if that helps you, lol. I guess yes, those stones are out there. How easily would it be that find a pair? Idk.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is more to do with the cut reflecting the light differently than colour matching... :think:
This. It's like round full cut melee - they always look like bright white dots compared to a larger centerstone... faceting and light play problem!

Size helps... If you got yourself a pair of three carat pears I'm confident the contrast would be greatly reduced :bigsmile:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. It's like round full cut melee - they always look like bright white dots compared to a larger centerstone... faceting and light play problem!

Size helps... If you got yourself a pair of three carat pears I'm confident the contrast would be greatly reduced :bigsmile:
Believe it or not... the same thought had crossed my mind ;-)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the pictures the difference is visible. I have only come across 2 pear sidestones settings twice in my in real life that I think suited my round. Idk if that helps you, lol. I guess yes, those stones are out there. How easily would it be that find a pair? Idk.
Ack! Indeed, that is the question.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect you are right. The question is: can I be ok with this? In most lighting I still find the whole effect beautiful... but the neurotic part of me wants everything to match perfectly always.

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @pearaffair -

I don't think you'll ever get them to match perfectly. But I do think your pears are dull looking, and I think you can do a lot better. The faceting in the tip is what we call 'mushy', and it's possible to find pears *not* like that.

What are the stats on all three stones? Clarity, color and size pls. And if you want new pears, I'm happy to take a look; I'm perpetually looking for pairs of pears - it's just an interest I have - so I'm happy to take a look if you'd like.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @pearaffair -

I don't think you'll ever get them to match perfectly. But I do think your pears are dull looking, and I think you can do a lot better. The faceting in the tip is what we call 'mushy', and it's possible to find pears *not* like that.

What are the stats on all three stones? Clarity, color and size pls. And if you want new pears, I'm happy to take a look; I'm perpetually looking for pairs of pears - it's just an interest I have - so I'm happy to take a look if you'd like.
Yes- they ARE mushy!!
I think their size is 4x3, if I remember correctly. I’ll check my notes tomorrow. The centre around is an E.

What a bummer because I thought I was done with this ring! I love the setting, love the centre, but the pears fall short.

I know you’ve had a setting with pear sides. You say perhaps to not expect a perfect match- where should my expectations be, do you think? How much should I expect from pears?

Last edited:

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes- they ARE mushy!!
I think their size is 4x3, if I remember correctly. I’ll check my notes tomorrow. The centre around is an E.

What a bummer because I thought I was done with this ring! I love the setting, love the centre, but the pears fall short.

I know you’ve had a setting with pear sides. You say perhaps to not expect a perfect match- where should my expectations be, do you think? How much should I expect from pears?
@pearaffair - I wasn't clear enough. Can you pls tell me the color and clarity of all 3 stones - not just the pears. And what is the ctw of each of the three?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair i tried doing a search. IIRC @Kaleigh has the most gorgeous 3stone with pear sides and round center. I could be misremembering though as I couldn’t find a photo. I’m on my phone though so it’s challenging. Here’s the results of one of my searches.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair - I wasn't clear enough. Can you pls tell me the color and clarity of all 3 stones - not just the pears. And what is the ctw of each of the three?
Centre is an eye clean 0.89ct E SI 1, AGS 1 excellent cut. 6.2mm.

Sides- no freaking clue! 4x3 in size.

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Centre is an eye clean 0.89ct E SI 1, AGS 1 excellent cut. 6.2mm.

Sides- no freaking clue! 4x3 in size.
In order to figure out what does work, you probably need to figure out what didn't work. For example, if there is a color grade difference between the centers and pears, you are missing a big data point in your pursuit to find your perfect pears. You should see if you can find out more about the pears, IMO. Your nitpicking will probably only be satisfied by a demand for more attention to detail. (I am nitpicky too, lol, so mean noooo offense)

I was looking at pear sides too, and found that D or E pears looked far nicer than F pears against my E center. The D visually seemed to make up for some of the lack of performance in these little pears but were slightly too *bright*, whereas the contrast with the F color really was unpleasantly obvious.

I ditched the pear idea altogether, because I have an antique stone, and wanted genuine antique sides and the splintery facets of modern pears looked awful to me against an OEC. They will likely take years and a small miracle to actually find a well-matched pair in such a high color...but I digress. :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see it too. I adore rounds with pear sides and have wanted that combo for a long time. However, the task of finding pears that will not only match each other but go well with my center stone is daunting to me. I love the shape but usually not the faceting which all too often is mushy, icy, splintery, has bowties, etc. I fear I am too sensitive to anomalies to be able to enjoy such a combination.

What a generous offer @mrs-b ! I hope a great 'pair of pears' your way comes @pearaffair ! I wish I had something of value to offer in terms of what it would take to make it work, but sadly I do not. Just some fingers I can cross for ya! =)2

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least, you guys helped me feel less crazy! I wasn’t sure if I was just completely neurotic or actually spying a difference. Also, now that I know how hard it is to find a nice pair of pears, I feel ever so slightly better about the fact that I screwed it up ;-)

Maybe Mrs-B and I can find the perfect duo.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mcgregor I now have even more appreciation for your ring! Now that I know how hard it is to mix rounds with pears!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think another issue that isnt easily resolved is that along with the different cuts reflecting light differently is that the pears are on a tilt compared
to your main stone. You are looking down into the pointy end of the pears from an angle. That's just not going to provide the best light return.

Can you find pears that do better...possibly.

The other thing I find with pears is that you have to keep them super clean. They "eat" light when they are dirty. Since their light return doesnt compare
to rounds to start with it makes an even worse discrepancy between the two (main and sides) when dirty.

BTW, I think your ring is lovely!

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think another issue that isnt easily resolved is that along with the different cuts reflecting light differently is that the pears are on a tilt compared
to your main stone. You are looking down into the pointy end of the pears from an angle. That's just not going to provide the best light return.

The other thing I find with pears is that you have to keep them super clean. They "eat" light when they are dirty. Since their light return doesnt compare
to rounds to start with it makes an even worse discrepancy between the two (main and sides) when dirty.

This. And i can definitely confirm that my beautiful D VS2 pear can look like chewing gum if it's grubby. When it's clean it is bottomless, but i have to give it a scrub every couple of days to keep it like this.

Good luck if you go on a Pear Hunt with Mrs B! I'm sure you can find stones that match your centre better, but it won't be easy. And your ring is gorgeous - I love the proportions!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So much to consider. I wonder if replacing them would be an expense fool’s errand! Maybe if I had a less nice centre stone the disparity wouldn’t be as great ;-) haha

Thank you for saying the ring is lovely anyways. Maybe perfection is not the goal (whaaaa?!!!).

Maybe things can be ok as they are. (Gah but I still want perfection!!)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. And i can definitely confirm that my beautiful D VS2 pear can look like chewing gum if it's grubby. When it's clean it is bottomless, but i have to give it a scrub every couple of days to keep it like this.

Good luck if you go on a Pear Hunt with Mrs B! I'm sure you can find stones that match your centre better, but it won't be easy. And your ring is gorgeous - I love the proportions!
Ok I’m going to clean this ring within an inch of its life and report back.

Thank you :)
I love the proportions too! And I find it to be a beautiful ring without being over the top. I’m not shy about wearing it, which is nice!

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I’m going to clean this ring within an inch of its life and report back.

Thank you :)
I love the proportions too! And I find it to be a beautiful ring without being over the top. I’m not shy about wearing it, which is nice!
Please post pictures when you do! And also a head on of the pears would help, as opposed to the MRB with the pears on an angle.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @pearaffair I sometimes jump right in to my response that I neglect the other thoughts in my head!

In this case these other thoughts are that your ring is beautiful wether or not you decide you are happy with these pears or wish to keep looking. The proportions are spot-on. I absolutely love the whole and how it looks on you.

I have seen two 'round-with-pear-sides' IRL and both were stunning. I remember them vividly to this day. I didn't get long close-up looks but I recall them as being drop-dead gorgeous. They caught my eye right away from a distance and I think I made both women uncomfortable because I could not disengage from their rings to look at their eyes while they spoke. :lol::saint: Both rings looked to be similar in size and proportion to yours.

All that to say... don't give up hope! If you really want a different effect from the pears than you currently have, I think it can be done! It may take a little more patience, savvy, and help than if you were making a three-stone with all rounds, but it will be all the more gratifying when done. (I have seen other examples on here as well that seemed to have cohesive appearance/performance from sides to center.)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @pearaffair I sometimes jump right in to my response that I neglect the other thoughts in my head!

In this case these other thoughts are that your ring is beautiful wether or not you decide you are happy with these pears or wish to keep looking. The proportions are spot-on. I absolutely love the whole and how it looks on you.

I have seen two 'round-with-pear-sides' IRL and both were stunning. I remember them vividly to this day. I didn't get long close-up looks but I recall them as being drop-dead gorgeous. They caught my eye right away from a distance and I think I made both women uncomfortable because I could not disengage from their rings to look at their eyes while they spoke. :lol::saint: Both rings looked to be similar in size and proportion to yours.

All that to say... don't give up hope! If you really want a different effect from the pears than you currently have, I think it can be done! It may take a little more patience, savvy, and help than if you were making a three-stone with all rounds, but it will be all the more gratifying when done. (I have seen other examples on here as well that seemed to have cohesive appearance/performance from sides to center.)
What lovely thoughts :)
And certainly these ideas will let me enjoy the ring for now while I hunt for pearfection! And like you say, I’ll enjoy it all the more when I get there <3

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Pearaffair, I cannot take any of the credit for finding the pears to compliment my center stone. You may recall that I purchased the center stone from Mrs-b. She took the stone and physically brought it back to Victor Canera. Between Mrs- b and VC, I came away with my beautiful ring. I can claim no credit for this and am eternally grateful to both Mrs-b and VC.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearaffair, I cannot take any of the credit for finding the pears to compliment my center stone. You may recall that I purchased the center stone from Mrs-b. She took the stone and physically brought it back to Victor Canera. Between Mrs- b and VC, I came away with my beautiful ring. I can claim no credit for this and am eternally grateful to both Mrs-b and VC.
Sue you can’t take the credit but now you get to take the compliments q’s it’s on your hand :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do we think of these? I have no idea so I defer to the PS hive mind. D129684D-946C-47EB-B3B9-9C68F32BD41F.jpeg

0.29ctw, E color, VVS2 clarity. They measure 4.25 x 2.8mm.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.