shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it a good price? Need help, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I'm new here, but I have been reading a lot on the forum. I'm very glad I found this web-site!

I'm looking for a Round 1.6-1.99 E/F, VS2/SI1, and at least a very god cut. I looked at several stones, and so far these two seem like a good buy:

GIA 1.63 F, SI1, Depth 61.9, Table 55, EX/EX, no flour, no culet, excellent cut. $14000.

GIA 1.71 E, SI1, D 61.7, T 61, VG/VG, no flour, no culet, very good cut, crown 35.5%, pavilion 41%. $15700.

I will have two more to look at, and will post as soon as I have the info. But if it's between these two, which one looks like a better deal?

Also, has anyone bought from Blue Nile and returned anything that expensive? I found the stone I like but have HUGE concerns about buying over the internet.

Thanks so much for your advice!!!

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
I shoud have added, if you know of a really good reputable on-line retailer who would have stones in the range I''m looking for, please let me know. Post a link or something. I''m excited about the stone (it''s an upgrade for my e-ring), but don''t want to jump into a bad deal.

Thanks!
19.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have anymore information? I'd avoid the second stone-poor cut.

I'd drop a few color ranges (G/H) to stay in this price range. Or, throw more money at this.

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! That''s what I was thinkng about the 2nd stone too.

I would drop to a G color, but isn''t it fairly easy to tell a G from, say, an F and especially an E?
My first stone was AGS 0, E VVS2, 1.26. I lost it, and now I want to get something bigger but not compromise on the quality too much. I know I''m probably asking for too much, but I can''t spend much more than that on the stone. My budget on the stone is preferably $14k, and no more than $16.

Thanks again!

dmus

Shiny_Rock
I would trust buying (and did) online from any of the vendors recommended here. BN, GOG, WF, Excel, JA etc. I have not had to return but I have not heard anyone here having a problem returning within the time frame allotted.

I like your stone #1 if eye clean but it would be nice to see pav and crown angles.

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input! I will see the jeweler on Monday next week, and I will get all the info. It looked very good in person. Do you think the price is right?

But if I wanted to go larger in size, is G a noticeable difference? I''m pretty color sensitive...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely pass on the second diamond for sure. The first looks promising, but we need the crown and pav angles as Dave says. A G is a sweet spot for many, especially in that size, but the only way for you to know for sure, is to look at some in person, similar size, cut quality, shape and lab grade, to get an idea of your colour tolerance.

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! It''s done, I passed on the second stone. I''m going to look at three more in an hour, and post the onfo right away if they''re any good at all.

I''m getting so impatient! How do I keep myself from jumping into a not-perfect-but-decent deal??? LOL

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2008 10:42:35 AM
Author: cectra79
Thanks! It''s done, I passed on the second stone. I''m going to look at three more in an hour, and post the onfo right away if they''re any good at all.

I''m getting so impatient! How do I keep myself from jumping into a not-perfect-but-decent deal??? LOL
LOL!!! By taking a slightly detached view of it while you are choosing. It is a lot of money to spend, so try to find exactly what you want, ask questions and check out the diamonds thoroughly and take as much time as you need to make a decision. Then if one keeps jumping out at you, that might be a cue you are getting close to finding your stone!

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so here's another one:

$11800
EGL Europe(is it a problem???)

1.57 (7.59x7.53x4.54)

F (It looks more like a GIA G)

SI2 (it looks clean to the eye, and I'm picky with inclusions)

Depth 60.1%
Table 57%
crown height 15% The cert doesn't show crown angle -- Is it strange???
pavilion 43%
EX/EX, no culet, no flour.
EGL Excellent Ideal Cut.

Is it a good deal? Please help!

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, in the previous post I worte that pavilion was 43%, but is the depth, not the angle. Again, EGL cert doesn't show that.

Now, if the overall depth is 60.1, pavilion depth is 43, and the crown hight is only 15... How is that possible, when according to the cert, the girdle is thin, faceted???

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
How did you guys know that the second stone was not cut as well. What part of the details were you looking at? Just trying to learn more about this whole diamond world... Your help is appreciated!

rogeshoe57

Rough_Rock
I would strongly consider looking into GoldoldGold.com and Whitelfash.com they are alot of people''s favorites on this site. I actually bought a Blue Nile diamond and returned it for one at GOG. They have alot more information on cut than Blue Nile gives. Especially making such a large purchase as yours. But if you do decide to go BN they do have some great diamonds.

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
I looked on GOG and WF but they don''t have anything I like in my price range. I did find an interesting stone on Jamesallen.com. Is he ok to buy from?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
huangtOn, there is a Holloway Cut Adviser under TOOLS where you can plug in the depth, table and angles for round stones. The aim is to score 2.0 or lower. It's meant to weed out the poor performers.

On PS you'll probably hear the recommendation to get an excellent/ideal cut and go down in color a little. Color will be less noticeable if the cut is really good. D and E is kind of overkill if the cut has to suffer.

And James Allen has a good reputation here. You need to call these folks and talk about what you are looking for. They don't always post their entire inventory.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 10:40:32 PM
Author: cectra79
I looked on GOG and WF but they don''t have anything I like in my price range. I did find an interesting stone on Jamesallen.com. Is he ok to buy from?

YOu can always email them give them your specs and budget and they can call you stones in :)

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
I found a fabulous diamond on jamesallen.com! It read 0.8 on HCA.

I''m trying to work out details on the custom setting. As soon as I have everything worked out, I''ll post here. Also, as soon as soon as I have the ring, I''ll make pictures.

So excited!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results