shape
carat
color
clarity

Is hurricane season affecting your honeymoon choice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone,

So we''re trying to figure out where to go on our honeymoon -- and this is maybe the most frustrating part of all! We''re getting married in September and want to take a honeymoon right away BUT it''s hurricane season in the Carribean, so that rules out just so many gorgeous places that I want to go to! We were contemplating the Dominican Repbulic, until he read that they got hit with two hurricanes in the past two years there. Oh boo.
8.gif

I know there are a ton of other places to travel to but I''m having this "I want someplace tropical!" thing that I can''t shake. I''ve never really had a vacation like that, and to me, that''s always been the type of honeymoon I''ve envisioned. I would looooooove Hawaii, but I don''t think that''s within our budget unfortunately!

We''re thinking maybe somewhere on the Pacific side of Mexico -- anyone been anyplace good there? Ixtapa and Zihuatenejo (sure I spelled that wrong) are the type of places we''re looking at ...

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Ella, I've read that the southern-most Caribbean islands are least likely to be affected by hurricanes: Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, Curacao, Turks and Caicos, etc.

You may want to check into that further... but it could be a good place to start!

ETA: This article may help, too... http://honeymoons.about.com/od/vacationweather/qt/Sept_October.htm

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Aruba is actually not in a hurricane line, so there aren''t any there at all. However, if there are lots of hurricanes around, it will affect the weather there...
Aruba is definitely my favorite island -- so much to do and the food is amazing!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info! My fiance has been to Aruba a few times, and we want to go someplace that neither of us has been before, so that''s out, but I''ve been curious about Turks & Caicos, so I''ll definitely look further into that option!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
uh, are you aware of how HOT it is in the tropics in september? where do you live?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 9:31:30 PM
Author: ellaila
Thanks for the info! My fiance has been to Aruba a few times, and we want to go someplace that neither of us has been before, so that''s out, but I''ve been curious about Turks & Caicos, so I''ll definitely look further into that option!
I''ve heard great things about Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos, it''s expensive but wonderful.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Lol, we're getting married on a cruise ship in August so no, we're not planning around hurricane season. I grew up in Florida (Jacksonville) and New Orleans and live in Houston, and while I definitely take hurricanes seriously if I planned around that possibiliity I couldn't go anywhere for eight months of the year. There are storms on the Pacific side, too, I just don't know when that season runs. I thik you should just plan to go where you've dreamed of taking your honeymoon and take out trip insurance. There really seems to be a much more heightened sense of awareness post-Katrina about hurricanes but the truth is, they're just more likely during certain months of the year but they can actually happen at any time.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES! We are going to Rivera Maya in Mexico b/c the travel agent said it was the best for the money, best weather, best beaches...we were also considering DR and Costra Rica.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously, talk to a travel agent or two before you rule out Hawaii. Maybe stay at an Extended Stay and do your own cooking to save some money.

I went to the Caribbeans during hurricane season (tail end of it) and it caused so much grief, that losing a destination and seeing destruction at the other places actually wasn''t as bad as the worrying. The airport we were flying in to to catch our cruise ship was closed the Wed before the wedding. The cruise dock wasn''t open until Thursday. That''s NOT how you want to spend the week before the wedding, trying to figure out if you need to plan a last minute honeymoon.

Otherwise, I would just stay at an all inclusive resort or osmething in mexico. I know you want someplace tropical, but do take a look at Alaska pictures before ruling it out. It''s still one of my all time favorite vacations. Can be very romantic and is quite relaxing. And those blue waters are just as hypnotic up there as they are in the Caribbean.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
We got married in Nebraska during tornado season and honeymooned on a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season and survived. We were actually in New Orleans a month or so before Katrina and were hit with Cindy the night before flying back home. If you''re taking a cruise, your captain will keep you out of harms way and you''ll still get the on-board amenities and some stops, although perhaps not the ones that were originally planned for. Check with the cruise line''s hurricane plan for details.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results