shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone ordering the Kobo eReader?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw it in an email from Borders. Has anyone pre-ordered it?

It''s only $149.99.

Link

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, fun! I may be in the market for an e-reader soon, and I like how affordable this one is!
I wish I could view the demo from this computer...does anyone know if you can take/print your notes?
That''s the most important thing to me...because I would be using it primarily for school (if I get into the grad program I''m applying to I will have 3 very long reading lists).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 10:41:09 AM
Author:Haven
I just saw it in an email from Borders. Has anyone pre-ordered it?

It''s only $149.99.

Link
It''s only USB and WiFi. I think the more the merrier in this space...

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am going to! The only reason I haven''t ordered a Kindle or Nook yet is because I was hoping and waiting for a price cut. I like the look, specs, the bluetooth/USB doesn''t bother me and of course the price is great!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 5:56:06 PM
Author: InLuv101
I think I am going to! The only reason I haven''t ordered a Kindle or Nook yet is because I was hoping and waiting for a price cut. I like the look, specs, the bluetooth/USB doesn''t bother me and of course the price is great!
InLuv, thought you might find this interesting...

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/5/10/2010/id/28214

If nook and Kindle are really going to come out with a "lite" version instead of cutting the price of the current versions, it might be best to wait a wee bit longer. Sony E-Reader is about this price as well comes in fun colors. What''s nice about your choices is that you can go check them out and see what you like best for that price point.

I find it interesting that the nook and kobo look a lot like the kindle, which probably was going for the apple "white" look. These people have no originality!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 6:18:17 PM
Author: TravelingGal

If nook and Kindle are really going to come out with a ''lite'' version instead of cutting the price of the current versions, it might be best to wait a wee bit longer. Sony E-Reader is about this price as well comes in fun colors. What''s nice about your choices is that you can go check them out and see what you like best for that price point.

I find it interesting that the nook and kobo look a lot like the kindle, which probably was going for the apple ''white'' look. These people have no originality!!
So Kindle and nook are going the Apple route - basic iPod, then iPod Nano, then shuffle...

I really can''t say I ''get'' the ebook craze, but I do think you''re right on the money with the look they''re going for.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of an ebook reader, but I am waiting until there is a clear winner. I don't want to be on the betamax side! The main reason is that most only read their own format. The kindle only takes it own format, while the Nook (B & N reader) can read the free types from Adobe in addition to theirs. This is important to me because I could get a lot of books from my local library's online collection. I love real books, but I read so fast that for long trips, I could not afford the extra airfare cost to bring everything I would need along. Make sure this one can read PDFs, since most don't and that was the format of most of my reading for grad school.

For grad school I had the same problem. I was due for a new laptop (old one had been stolen over a year earlier) and I spent the extra for a tablet/laptop from HP. It really does work but obviously it is a lot more than a reader.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be interested to see what the Kobo is like. Im keen to get a kindle but keep waiting for the price to drop (with duty in canada its almost $350
7.gif
which i think is a bit steep...

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 6:18:17 PM

If nook and Kindle are really going to come out with a ''lite'' version instead of cutting the price of the current versions, it might be best to wait a wee bit longer. Sony E-Reader is about this price as well comes in fun colors. What''s nice about your choices is that you can go check them out and see what you like best for that price point.

I find it interesting that the nook and kobo look a lot like the kindle, which probably was going for the apple ''white'' look. These people have no originality!!
Thanks TGal, it''s good to read the other perspective as I''ve only read the ''good'' until now. It did pique my interest enough that I pre-ordered last night. I opted to order because I felt the Kindle and Nook were just too much machine for me. I enjoy reading but don''t read hours everyday. I usually read while enjoying my lunch hour, sometimes on the weekends, and when I travel.

I will take an honest look at it since it appears that the ''lite'' versions of Nook & Kindle may be on the horizon. I''ll post a review when I get it mid-June.
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I''ll be interested in your review once you get your Kobo, InLuv!

I''m really loving my Kindle even though I was super hesitant when they first came out. BrownEyedGirl totally enabled me to buy one by showing hers off at our Chicago GTG! Seriously, though, I love it. I''m really interested in trying out the other eReaders so I can compare them. I tried the Nook at B&N but I didn''t like it very much. I can''t really say why, though. I tried that before I had my Kindle, I should go back and try it again now that I''ve been using my Kindle for a while.

I have to say that everyone in my book club was really anti-Kindle when I first brought it to a meeting. THEN, I bought a super cute cover for it from Elizabeth David Designs on Etsy, and they were all going ga-ga over the cover and saying "Maybe I do want a Kindle!" Hilarious. Put a nice accessory on it and people want it. I love it.

This Kobo does look interesting, though. I''ll be interested to see the lite versions of the other eReaders and how they compare.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
InLuv, I totally am interested in your review! The key for me is the wireless downloads, so that would be a dealbreaker. It''s the spontaneity that I love about the Kindle. But I guess it''s not really that necessary. I just have a mental block when it comes to connecting to my computer. I''m also interested to see if the one side page turn button bothers you. It''s another dealbreaker for me...I have to be able to page turn on both sides. I don''t know why this is an issue when you consider a real book can only be turned one way (although I can choose either hand to do it, I guess).

Check out the Sony products too....they are nice products, and have been around awhile so they should be stable. They would be able to compete with the Kobo and are open to non-proprietary formats.

Haven, I didn''t like the nook very much either. I think it looks more elegant, but functionality wise it doesn''t do it for me. I hope that Kindle can stay afloat because I love shopping for books on Amazon. I''m not sure there is room for all the ereaders, but maybe there is...who knows.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was completely against ereaders when they first appeared. But lately I''ve thought of how practical it would be. At any given time I have at least 6-10 books stacked in and around my bedside table. I''ve just broken another book case because of how overloaded they are. I really don''t have lots of space for book storage and have to keep most of them in the basement (which floods). My library can''t keep me in enough books. I can''t buy books for no place to put them.

I do love the feel, weight, smell of a book in my hand though. I don''t know how I could NOT have that.

I''m interested in seeing how this new device stacks up against the others!

Quick question for those with any readers--How long does it hold a charge??

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 2:42:23 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I was completely against ereaders when they first appeared. But lately I''ve thought of how practical it would be. At any given time I have at least 6-10 books stacked in and around my bedside table. I''ve just broken another book case because of how overloaded they are. I really don''t have lots of space for book storage and have to keep most of them in the basement (which floods). My library can''t keep me in enough books. I can''t buy books for no place to put them.

I do love the feel, weight, smell of a book in my hand though. I don''t know how I could NOT have that.

I''m interested in seeing how this new device stacks up against the others!

Quick question for those with any readers--How long does it hold a charge??
SS, my Kindle holds a charge for 20-25 hours of fast paced reading (it''s the page turns that drain the batteries, I think.)

And if storage is the big issue for you, an e-reader is the answer. Check the different booksellers to see which has the authors you like. Amazon is having some wars with the publishers currently so quite a few books are unavailable for Kindle.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 2:40:04 PM
InLuv, I totally am interested in your review! The key for me is the wireless downloads, so that would be a dealbreaker. It''s the spontaneity that I love about the Kindle.
I love the wireless downloads, too! Or even just the ability to access the Amazon store from anywhere. My book club met at a restaurant last month because I was too tired to entertain, and when we were tossing around ideas for future reads I whipped out my Kindle and downloaded samples of a couple choices. It was so cool! We were able to read the samples *right there* in the restaurant. It was pretty cool.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
NO NO NO NO

Part of the pleasure of reading is holding the book/magazine/newspaper. No electronics for me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t know that readers are only able to download some authors but not others. Hmmm...

sorry for the thread jack, but I have questions!!

what is the avg price of a download?
how long does downloading take?
when you "turn the page" does the screen have to catch up or is it immediately refreshed?
is the amount of text shown on the screen at any time adjustable?
can you book mark several books at once so you can pop in and out of many?

I''ve never seen a reader IRL. Poor me, I live in the boondocks....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 3:09:57 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I didn''t know that readers are only able to download some authors but not others. Hmmm...

sorry for the thread jack, but I have questions!!

what is the avg price of a download?
how long does downloading take?
when you ''turn the page'' does the screen have to catch up or is it immediately refreshed?
is the amount of text shown on the screen at any time adjustable?
can you book mark several books at once so you can pop in and out of many?

I''ve never seen a reader IRL. Poor me, I live in the boondocks....
I can only speak for the Kindle -

The average price of a download...new releases used to be 9.99, but no longer since apple launched ipad. I am also not seeing any pricebreak on some publishers between a Kindle edition and the paperback, which is ridiculous, IMHO. I would say the average would be about $10.

Downloads take under seconds. Usually about 10 seconds via Kindle "whispernet" .

Turning the page takes under a second, although I don''t have the formal time. I would say it''s the same time as turning a page in the book. I have no lag time at all when I turn the page for reading. It''s a smooth transition for me, and I rarely ever notice the black "flash" as the page turns anymore.

Kindle has several font sizes. I use the smallest one, but yes, it''s very adjustable. I believe Kobo has adjustable font sizes.

Kindle saves the last page you left off, so you can go in and out of many books. You can also bookmark the pages yourself to make sure you don''t lose your spot.

What you may not be used to is that there are no page numbers...just "locations" and I haven''t quite figured that out yet.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t gotten an e-reader yet for some of the reasons mentioned. I might buy one for the practicality of it though, but I want to make sure I buy the right one for me. For those who have one, what are the things you look for? I''m not even sure what features I should keep in mind.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in Canada, and I just received my Kindle yesterday. I researched the alternatives but it came down to the "support" issue. Amazon has the most books available and will be continuing to produce new versions of the Kindle for the forseeable future. It''s like going with an iPod and iTunes--the software support is in place and is firmly supported. Maybe sometime in the future things will be more equal, but right now Kindle is just the easiest to use to put it simply. I can search for books on my laptop, buy them, turn on the Kindle and they''re there. Super easy and I''m very comfortable using Amazon. I don''t mind the price. I am the only one in the family without an iPod, so I''m not buying music, I buy books instead. Sort of the same thing really.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:41:48 PM
Author: Zoe
I haven''t gotten an e-reader yet for some of the reasons mentioned. I might buy one for the practicality of it though, but I want to make sure I buy the right one for me. For those who have one, what are the things you look for? I''m not even sure what features I should keep in mind.
I look for someone established and committed to the game. An e-reader is only as good as the vendor content when the product is proprietary. Otherwise I have a brick on my hands. For this reason, I understand why people are choosing products like nook. If Amazon gives up on Kindle, the product is worthless, while the others can still be used.

But Amazon is committed because they do focus on books. I look for an e-bookstore that I''m comfortable with. I shop a lot on Amazon and am familiar with the interface.

I look for the wireless download. I love to shop for books on my computer and send all the samples. But then once I read the samples, I buy the book from the Kindle. It would be really annoying to me to have to get back to my computer, download it, hook my reader up and sync it.

I look for a page turn button on both sides. I look for long battery life.

Things I don''t need are note taking abilities, which the Kindle has. I do like the dictionary feature though. I also don''t care that it plays music (never used that feature) or has a read out loud feature.

I like that the Kindle is light, but it doesn''t matter how it itself feels in my hand because I have a cover I use. So stuff like the quilted back of the Kobo isn''t a big deal for me.

I look for good customer service, which Amazon has. If a book is really bad, I can return it (although I don''t do this often because Amazon has been known to cut off accounts, which would again, make my Kindle into a useless brick.) A PSer recently dropped her Kindle and it broke. She admitted this to the CS person, who said it shouldn''t break like that on carpet. She was sent a new one, rushed.

I like one that has a lot of 3rd party options. There are many vendors who make covers for the Kindle as well as reading lights.

I love my Kindle...without it, I simply wouldn''t be reading.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Tgal.

Perhaps a "push present" could present itself in form of a reader.....

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much TGal! I don''t buy a lot on Amazon, but I''m pretty familiar with how things are laid out. I know what you mean about the wireless download. I think I''d like that option, but I''m not sure I would have really thought of that myself (my husband is more computer-literate than I am). Thanks for pointing it out! It makes a lot of sense. I''m positive that he would love that feature too.

I don''t think I''d care so much about the note-taking capability or the music either.

Customer service is KEY, I would think. I know Amazon has great customer service, which is a big bonus.

I''m pretty sure that if I do get an e-reader, it would be a Kindle. I think I just need to check them all out more and go from there.

Thanks again!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 1:22:37 PM
Author: Haven

I''m really loving my Kindle even though I was super hesitant when they first came out. BrownEyedGirl totally enabled me to buy one by showing hers off at our Chicago GTG! Seriously, though, I love it. I''m really interested in trying out the other eReaders so I can compare them. I tried the Nook at B&N but I didn''t like it very much. I can''t really say why, though. I tried that before I had my Kindle, I should go back and try it again now that I''ve been using my Kindle for a while.

I have to say that everyone in my book club was really anti-Kindle when I first brought it to a meeting. THEN, I bought a super cute cover for it from Elizabeth David Designs on Etsy, and they were all going ga-ga over the cover and saying ''Maybe I do want a Kindle!'' Hilarious. Put a nice accessory on it and people want it. I love it.

This Kobo does look interesting, though. I''ll be interested to see the lite versions of the other eReaders and how they compare.

Haven how are you liking your Kindle? The new cover is super cute!

I ditto what everyone else has said about the Kindle. I have the US version because I got it last March, and I love it. The only quibble I have right now is the issue with pricing between Penguin and Amazon (meaning I had to get the new Sookie book in hardcover! Not happy that it''s not part of my Kindle collection that I can take with me wherever I go). LOVE the fact that there''s a huge amount of storage. And my battery lasts forever, it feels (and I use my Kindle for a couple hours at least, everyday).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
huh? I don't even know what this is. Guess I should click on the link.

ETA - no, I'd rather spend that $150.00 on 18 $8 used paperbacks. lol Sorry, I'm just so anti-technology when it comes to books. UGH, I will freak if eventually books quit being printed and have to buy an electric book gadget thingy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say that everyone in my book club was really anti-Kindle when I first brought it to a meeting. THEN, I bought a super cute cover for it from Elizabeth David Designs on Etsy, and they were all going ga-ga over the cover and saying ''Maybe I do want a Kindle!'' Hilarious. Put a nice accessory on it and people want it. I love it.

Haven - would you say the kindle cover is really "girly-girl" in real life? My MIL''s b-day is coming up and she has a kindle. Wonder if the cover would be good for her (in her mid 60s.) What do you think?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 9:53:37 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

I ditto what everyone else has said about the Kindle. I have the US version because I got it last March, and I love it. The only quibble I have right now is the issue with pricing between Penguin and Amazon (meaning I had to get the new Sookie book in hardcover! Not happy that it''s not part of my Kindle collection that I can take with me wherever I go). LOVE the fact that there''s a huge amount of storage. And my battery lasts forever, it feels (and I use my Kindle for a couple hours at least, everyday).
I LOVE IT! I really do. I''m still reading a lot of paper books, too, but I love that I always have my Kindle in my purse. You definitely recommended a good one, BEG!
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 9:53:37 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

The Penguin thing is annoying. Amazon priced that hardcover at 9.99 to annoy them, I think. I still didn''t buy it. Reviews are very lukewarm anyway and I can wait for it to come out on Kindle, if it ever does. If not, Penguin lost my money, as far as I am concerned!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 10:00:06 PM
Author: MC
Haven - would you say the kindle cover is really ''girly-girl'' in real life? My MIL''s b-day is coming up and she has a kindle. Wonder if the cover would be good for her (in her mid 60s.) What do you think?
My cover is pretty girly-girl, but that''s because I chose a super girly design. Elizabeth David has so many different fabrics available, so I think if you want something less girly-girl, you could find it.
Here''s a link to her esty store. I know she has a link to pictures of the available fabrics in her store, too.

I think it would be a great gift if your MIL is really into her Kindle. I''m not kidding when I tell you that many of my friends and colleagues who said "No way, I''ll never get an eReader" suddenly say "Well, now that I see it in that cute cover, it might not be a bad idea . . . "

It''s hilarious.

I was admittedly one of those "No way!" people when I originally heard about eReaders. I decided to get one because I was intrigued, and because I''m a READING SPECIALIST, so I''m constantly making sure that I''m keeping current on all of the reading trends.

Once I ordered it I did become a bit excited, but I had no idea how well I''d take to it until I actually had my own Kindle in my hands.

You can still find me hauling ten or twenty books out of the library each week, don''t get me wrong. But boy oh boy am I loving that I can read my Jane Austen favorites on my Kindle whenever I have a free moment.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Haven, yay so glad you like it! I''m actually not using my Kindle today - I''m rereading Christopher Moore''s Lamb which I have in paperback
3.gif
I so wish I could move ALL my paper books to my Kindle somehow, without buying them again!

TGal, I actually ended up buying the Sookie book from B&N! Darn, my Amazon Prime trial ended before it came out. But yeah, honestly, I love the Sookie books, but it is not worth buying in hardcover I think. It was far from being my favorite book of the series.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results