shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an SUV necessary or better with babies/young kids?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
The big debate.

Do we start looking for a new car?

DH has a huge F250 that is a work truck. He will always have a truck and we take his vehicle pretty much everywhere because he is 6'-3" and my car is pretty petite for him, he likes driving, AND his gas is paid for by the family company. Only problem is, that I have access to only my car during the day on weekdays and weekends.

I am tempted to start looking at a bigger car for myself. I currently have a 2002 Lexus IS300. It is a 4dr sedan, but it isn't by any means a "family" car. I've had it since driving it off the lot. It will be 8 yrs old when the baby is born, and will probably have around 115,000 miles.

So... for those of you that already have children. Is it really THAT much better to have a SUV? Why?

For those that have a sedan, what do you like or not like about it, in relation to babies and young kids?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to live in a state, that an SUV to me was necessary especially due to the weather condition like snow and hills. I moved to a State the does not have season really and no snow and flat as can be, but I have a mini SUV its a crossover, I love it- has great turning radius for an SUV (which usually suck on SUVs) great for packing my stroller and junk, however, I don't think it is necessary where I live now. As much as I will admit I'm not a minivan mom (I grew up with one) I do see the nice advantage of having the door slide especially in tight spot and the convenient of getting in and out of the vehicle with Minivan plus your back won't break
40.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a big help. Believe me I hate big cars...or anything big. I like petite things. But the fact is there is alot of "stuff" that comes along with baby (as much as you might try to limit it) and trunk space is key, particlarly hatch backs! I''ve tried transporting items in my mom''s car and it is a PIA..no trunk space once the stroller is in there so everything ends up in the front.

So SUV is sort of my compromise since I intend to avoid minivans at all costs (which from what I hear is most convenient when you have multiple kiddos). I suppose if there are cars out there that have ample trunk room or hatch backs that could work, but I can''t say I''ve tried.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you have to rush out and get a new car just yet. For my first months of motherhood i had to use our truck (with a cab) and it was pretty terrible. Trying to lift a car seat into that high position when you are exhausted and sore was not fun, but i had to get rid of my VW passat so i had no choice. My son is now 1.5 years and we still haven''t got around to getting a new family car but i am driving a Toyota echo that used to be my MIL (soooo tiny) it is great for parking etc. but terrible for fitting all the gear a baby needs. Something in between, either a bigger car or SUV would be best.

So, your current car should be fine for now as long as you can fit a stroller in it and have no difficulty getting a carseat in and out (just try it after it is installed). I think an SUV or (gasp) minivan is more necessary when you have more than one kid and you need to space and ease of getting them all buckled in. One kid is pretty managable.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had to do it all over again, I''d do minivan. It would have saved me a lot of hassle because the sliding doors would have been a lifesaver! At my old place, the cars were parked so close together, it was hard to get Amelia in and out of the car.

I''m not sure it''s NECESSARY, but it is nice. As long as your stroller fits in the back of the trunk, you don''t have to carry a ton more than that. It''s just more convenient if you''re going grocery shopping, etc. I try not to put anything in the seat next to her in case of an accident, I don''t want things to go flying. When SUVs are really helpful is if you are going on any sort of a road trip. The amount of stuff a baby needs (or you think that they need) is nuts. You need to have your luggage, plus all the stuff they need (which includes a place to sleep).

I have the Ford Freestyle (which is now the Taurus X, I think), and we love it. It''s a crossover and not that high off the ground. It''s also pretty darn big without feeling massive. I think it''s a glorified minivan, honestly!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Eh, your choice. I have a Corolla. It's just me and my girl whenever we go somewhere. She fits perfectly in the back seat, trunk is big enough for her SNG, diaper bag on the passanger seat and voila.

When I'm with FI and DD, we are in his crossover (Ford Edge). Again, perfect size for the three of us. SNG fits in the trunk well (seriously, get a SNG lol it fits anywhere). Seats in the back recline so if I need to breastfeed in the car, I can get nice and comfy.

We have never needed a bigger car. When we travel outside of our hometown (like to Orlando to visit family 4 hours away), we always rent a sedan and manage to pack in the SNG, PNP, bouncer, travel swing, bathtub, pump, and two suitcases without a problem.

ETA: Just wanted to add that 115k miles on a lexus doesn't mean much since lexus is extremely reliable as long as you have always kept up with the maintenance. FI had a Ford Explorer before DD was born with 200k miles that would have been perfectly fine except that the AC gave out on him. We sold to a teen and got the Edge.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Mazda CX7.
It is a small SUV/crossover.

Love it.

The back seats fold individually to allow many options for seating & carrying stuff. The back holds LOTS. It is comfortable to sit in. The handling is very good. Add nice tires and it drives GREAT. Pretty good with gas use. (good on highway, okay in town)
Big enough to carry stuff. Small enough to park.
Lots of ground clearance but easy to get into.

B is 6'' tall and used to race. He likes cars that are big enough for him, comfortable to sit in, and handle great. (you should see him on the corners -- wow)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
meresal we are looking for a new car right now since we both have tiny cars, and my lease is up in Dec. i asked the same Q mentally and of friends.

my coworker's family has 2 kids, one is a baby, and they have one of those trucks that has the backseats, toyota tacoma maybe? anyway they are a very sporty family and they get along just fine with the limited space and the truck itself. they don't intend to buy another vehicle. they also are great at minimalizing 'stuff'...i hope to follow their lead.

me personally..we are small car people and don't like a lot of clutter. it blows my mind when people tell me they have huge SUV's that they FILL with baby stuff. i am like really, the kid is 8 lbs??? wth? i am sure that 'stuff' makes life with the baby easier, and yes things like having a sliding door or whatever again makes life easier, but for me it's kind of mentally like having an automatic vs a manual. how easy does life REALLY have to get??!?!

i will NEVER have a minivan (greg is under orders to shoot me if that happens), and can barely stomach the thought of a tiny SUV. but we're trying to do our research and end up with something that is smart for the at least intermediate term since we have to get something anyway.

i would see how you feel when the baby comes then make a decision. if you have cars/trucks you CAN fit the baby in then see how it works. i also have coworkers who kept their small 4 door sedans and got along just fine.

IMO...you don't HAVE to go get a big SUV just to fit the daily baby stuff. every family is going to be different. oh and for us if we need more room for big trips like to Tahoe or something, we'll just rent an SUV.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We had a sedan and a SUV--but the carseat was in the SUV at all times. Our weather is such that an SUV is conducive--but many sedans these days have 4 wheel or all wheel drive. And many sedans have large truck spaces....

Are you a sports family? Travel much to see out of town family for holidays/weekends? In the final analysis we have always opted for an SUV in our household b/c we had lots of stuff/equipment to stuff in the back. And of course a minivan was OMDB....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 11:58:32 AM
Author: canuk-gal
And of course a minivan was OMDB....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
lol

You know, minivans are pretty clever now-a-days. Automatic doors, a gagillion TVs, very comfortable
2.gif
. We never rent a van unless we''re moving someone because otherwise we fight over who gets to sit in the back
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Don''t have a kiddo yet, but bought a new vehicle because I drove a small pick up (jump seats in the back) that wouldn''t have been able to accomodate the kid. I have always driven a truck and as a result like being up off the ground, ended up with a Ford Edge and it''s the perfect size for me, I didn''t want to drive a huge car, but it''s just high enough (and heavy enough) that I feel safe in it. I was also thinking Volvo S60 or Passat. I don''t think an SUV is necessary, but the extra space will be convenient. My mom drove a 2 door Ford Mustang when my sister and I were little and managed just fine.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 12:01:40 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Don''t have a kiddo yet, but bought a new vehicle because I drove a small pick up (jump seats in the back) that wouldn''t have been able to accomodate the kid. I have always driven a truck and as a result like being up off the ground, ended up with a Ford Edge and it''s the perfect size for me, I didn''t want to drive a huge car, but it''s just high enough (and heavy enough) that I feel safe in it. I was also thinking Volvo S60 or Passat. I don''t think an SUV is necessary, but the extra space will be convenient. My mom drove a 2 door Ford Mustang when my sister and I were little and managed just fine.
I was in the middle of my reply to everyone and saw your post, and had to reply immediately because this made me laugh. My mom, before I was born, had an old 4-door chevette hatchback... she, my dad, and my older brother and sister drove from Texas to Indiana in it. My parents laid the seats down to fit everything and my sister and my brother rode the entire way laying down in the back with the luggage underneath the glass hatchback. I''m sorry, I just had to share! My family laughs about this at almost every gathering.
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh also i wanted to post this site for anyone looking for reviews of cars by moms....i have been reading some of them and they are interesting. it's obviously one person's opinion but they review things like LATCH connectors, cargo space, etc. for new moms it may be a bunch of things you don't even think about..so it's helpful to read what other mom's think.

www.motherproof.com

we're considering the Audi A3 pretty seriously and i was happy to see their 06 review said it was a good car for 2 kids or less and just enough space. one other thing, our dog is a small one (20 lbs) but i could see how if you had one or two really big dogs AND a kid then an SUV would make a lot more sense.

speaking of what our PARENTS had...my mom had a FIAT. that thing was tiny. AND yes i had a car seat!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 12:08:31 PM
Author: meresal

I was in the middle of my reply to everyone and saw your post, and had to reply immediately because this made me laugh. My mom, before I was born, had an old 4-door chevette hatchback... she, my dad, and my older brother and sister drove from Texas to Indiana in it. My parents laid the seats down to fit everything and my sister and my brother rode the entire way laying down in the back with the luggage underneath the glass hatchback. I''m sorry, I just had to share! My family laughs about this at almost every gathering.
41.gif

People got away with smaller cars back then because carseats only became law sometime in the 70''s. I don''t recall ever being in a carseat. We were poor when we moved here so my mom had a red, 2 door beat up toyota corona mark II that choked out fumes so bad you couldn''t see behind you. Not only that, the door locks didn''t work very well and I have vivid memories of my mom once making a sharp turn and the passenger door flying open. We didn''t use seatbelts either.

Yes, they made do, but sometimes I think it was a miracle we survived.

TCMII.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 12:08:31 PM
Author: meresal

41.gif
Just another reminder of the difference between what we want and what we need! I wanted to be up off the ground, so I chose a CUV, our whole family would have been just fine if I''d choosen a smaller vehicle. My dad drove a Duster, and he put manure in the back, that thing never stopped smelling, it''s our family car funny story, so I can relate.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
We didn''t make the jump from sedan to something bigger until we had our 3rd kid. We could still fit everyone in a sedan - 3 carseats!!! - but we wanted more room from our second car, and a minivan made more sense at that point.

For one kid, you really don''t need all that much space. As long as the carseat fits properly in the back and you can stash a stroller and diaper bag in the trunk, you should be fine in your sedan. I''m with Mara - you don''t need that much stuff.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 12:22:05 PM
Author: Clio
We didn''t make the jump from sedan to something bigger until we had our 3rd kid. We could still fit everyone in a sedan - 3 carseats!!! - but we wanted more room from our second car, and a minivan made more sense at that point.

For one kid, you really don''t need all that much space. As long as the carseat fits properly in the back and you can stash a stroller and diaper bag in the trunk, you should be fine in your sedan. I''m with Mara - you don''t need that much stuff.
Nope, but you know where a big car comes in handy? Hauling home all the craigslist finds for the kid! I found a Pali dresser in impeccable condition for $79. Would not have been able to bring it home in a sedan.

E B

Ideal_Rock
With one baby? Not necessary. We've got a Civic and are able to fit ourselves, my son's bulky infant seat, LARGE stroller (Uppababy), and any other baby stuff inside it with room to spare.

Two or more kids? Not sure- aren't there yet. My husband is very anti-SUV, so it'll be interesting to see how we all fit once we've got #2.
41.gif
People do it all the time, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I had a 2 door Tiburon when we got pregnant, and I knew that wasn''t going to work. My DH also has a giant truck, Ford F-350 with a lift! So we don''t take it many places, just getting the kid in the back is a workout. I got a medium/small SUV, Santa Fe, and I do manage to fill the back with just the umbrella stroller and a trip to the store. If I had my choice, I would have gone for a smaller SUV, the Nissan Rogue looks really cute!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No you don't need one. We have 2 kids (BOTH in big bulky rear facing seats) and we are totally fine without an SUV. We even have double strollers and they fit in the trunk.

Now I do have a small wagon which I LOVE (Jetta Sportwagen). But we can all fit comfortably in a regular sedan too-I just like the wagon because I love to haul craigslist finds home sometimes so I like more space in the trunk. A few of my twin mom friends have sedans and do just fine. And MANY of my singleton friends have sedans and again are totally fine.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Hi meresal
If you had a Lexus make it''s going to be hard to find a good match [drove the suv version for about 2 years] they are all easy to park and ga$. If I were in the market for a ''family'' car I''d prob get another Lexus SUV. I''m not a minivan fan but they are def popular. If you/DH are tall, find a car that has enough room between driver''s/back seats [ sedans or smallish SUV''s] DS started kicking the driver''s seat around 8mos.
I have both, my take:
Sedans are great if you need professional look [ work ] great mileage, too small if you have more than one kid, in my case they are tall like their DAD and backpaks have to go in the trunk. If you plan on giving snacks to your baby [and most of us do] while driving...be ready, most will see what your child had and, like DH''s says most likely to get hurt by a SUV driver.

SUV will provide privacy since most cars will be shorter than you
9.gif
ga$ stinks but I love driving them, more room to put kids'' ''stuff'' first two years: diapers & stroller [unless you plan on holding your baby while out] then sports, rolling backpacks incl carpool, etc. Some are very comfortable, smooth enough to read a book, good luck
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I drove my beloved Saab 9-3 (sporty 4 door sedan) until my son was 18 months old, but then we traded it in for a Volvo XC90 (SUV). I loved my sporty little car, but the SUV is MUCH BETTER for toting around kids and all their accoutrements.

I am 5''9", so bending over with either the infant car seat or to put my toddler in the seat was killing my back. With the SUV, the seats are higher, so I can get my son in the car without bending over.

Of course the biggest bonus is the trunk space. With my sedan, I can''t tell you how many times I would go to Costco, and go to load my trunk with the huge packages of toilet paper and diapers, only to find that since the stroller and a set of golf clubs was back there that I had no room to fit anything. The Volvo has huge trunk space, and now I can easily hit Target, Costco and the supermarket without having to go home to unload.

Now I''m pregnant with our second, and it''s going to be much easier to fit two carseats in the back with the SUV as well.

I liked my sedan until I got a taste of driving an SUV with young kids. One day, when the kids have graduated from boosters, I would probably go back to a 4 door sedan, but until then, I really like having a big car.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all very much for your input.

I guess my original thinking is that I am going to have to put some money in my car pretty soon, and I'm wondering if it will be worth it, or just make the plunge right now. I love my car, but it is pretty much for day to day travel. We always take DH's truck on out of town trips, and since it has full second row seating and the bed with a cover, there is so much room for everything.

Since my car is paid off, I would much rather hold off on the car payment for as long as possible, so if a few of you don't have problems with the sedan, then I'm sure I will be fine.

TooPatient- If we look we might consider the CX7 or the CX9. My BIL is a VP of sales in their corporate offices and he says great things about it. They get a new one every 6 months and before her miscarriage in Feb, they decided to try the CX7, and she liked it while she had it.
Other than that, I love the new hybrid option from Lexus, and a few other higher end vehicles, but I'm not sure that I wan't those car payments just yet. Back to the drawing board I guess.

FWIW, I am from the not-going-to-happen minivan clan. I can't wait for some company to build a SUV with a sliding door. It can't be that hard?! Right?!

ETA:
Vesper- I am also 5-9, and it is always a pain to bend over and get groceries from the middle of the seat. Is this kind of similar to what you are talking about? It was something that had crossed my mind. Thank you for pointing that out.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I drove a 4 door sedan until my daughter was 8-9 months. No problems. I think a two door would be a PITA but you can make do with a 4 door car pretty easily. Now I have a SUV and I do love it. It is nice to have to bend down to strap her into her seat. It has a built in dvd player which is a life saver for longer trips. It can hold a ton of stuff and when we go on road trips we pack it full WITH the car pod on it. I also feel safer in a bigger car since pretty much everyone here has SUVs/trucks. But it all comes down to a personal choice. Do you need a new car b/c you are having a baby? No. Can you afford one and want one? That''s up to you.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Tacori E is right....if it''s the right time for you go for it, specially with this economy..... I''m 5''8 ½ had a very hard time doing a diaper change in the sedan [100% likely to happen] aaaannnnddd on beds with standard height, TG for changing tables
1.gif

•sorry for the hijack•

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A warning on minivans:
They SUCK in accidents.

I was in a Ford Windstar and bumped the guy in front of me. Barely 10 mph. Didn''t even scratch this guys bumper. The van''s bumper & hood were a mess. (how does the hood get twisted when the other guy is in a super short sports car?) And I had back/neck pain.

I''m sure they aren''t all this way, but look at the crash information. Stuff happens and your family needs to be safe.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want an SUV, some folks like them, but where I live, it is socially a huge no-no and I don''t want to get keyed. Plus I''m spoiled by our current set-up. I drive a prius in the summer, which is super fun and 53mpg ROCKS! Baby seat is fine in the backseat and the trunk hatch has good room. Plus the seats go down for those craigslist finds. But in the winter we switch and I get to drive the Subaru Forester, awd, huge open hatch space with dividers and like the prius, a cover for safety, the mileage is OK (35mpg) but I find that even when going with several adults on long trips that we take the Prius just because she has all the gadgets and the savings on gas. Meresal, the Forester is not an SUV, but the back hatch space works great for bags, I hear you on hating the reach down for bags in the back seat.

Good luck with the search, I would be so tempted to keep the Lexus...

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 1:41:08 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I drove a 4 door sedan until my daughter was 8-9 months. No problems. I think a two door would be a PITA but you can make do with a 4 door car pretty easily. Now I have a SUV and I do love it. It is nice to have to bend down to strap her into her seat. It has a built in dvd player which is a life saver for longer trips. It can hold a ton of stuff and when we go on road trips we pack it full WITH the car pod on it. I also feel safer in a bigger car since pretty much everyone here has SUVs/trucks. But it all comes down to a personal choice. Do you need a new car b/c you are having a baby? No. Can you afford one and want one? That''s up to you.
I''m with Tacori, you don''t NEED one but bigger cars can be nice with kiddos. I drive a Corolla and did when I was a nanny to two little girls. It was fine. Enough room for two big Britax car seats and a double stroller in the trunk, or sometimes two strollers and many bags of groceries. When my charge got her wheelchair even that would fit in my truck (broken down of course). But one huge benefit of SUVs (besides all the space) is being able to change diapers in the back. Oh and when they are potty training and beyond it''s great to put a travel potty seat in the back and they can go potty when there is no time to get to a bathroom.

As far as putting kids in carseats. Smaller car usually = having to bend down, and in to car to put baby in (not great for back). But bigger SUVs like my boss''s Suburban are also difficult because you have to lift baby up and in (no fun especially if you are standing on that little step while doing it). But the smaller SUVs like the Subaru Tribeca or Mazda CX7 are nice because you are putting the baby almost directly straight in.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When London was born, we had a Neon. That sucked. I''m short, but I still had to bend down and crawl in practically to put her in the carseat base. And nursing in the car sucked. Trying to change her in the car sucked. When she was 5 months we got a Ford Escape and wow what a difference. It''s great for the snow and ice during the winter, and there''s a lot more room. We''re hoping to trade it in this year for something a little bigger, but if we just get another Escape I''d be fine with that too. I feel weird driving a car now-even tho the Escape isn''t huge by any means..I just feel safer in it and I like being higher up. I have friends that have minivans and they adore them...but I just could never do it, myself. Which is fine b/c JD hates them.

Like the others said, it''s not necessary, but a bigger vehicle makes things easier.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
After my first was born, I bought an SUV with back-seat tinted windows - and believe me, those come in handy when BFing (could do it "out in public" without anyone actually seeing! One reason I liked having an SUV is that I could climb into the back part and do diaper changes ***AND*** the big back part easily fit my stroller and later, after my second son, my second stroller.

Now I have a Forester and still love that I can access the back. Once kids get older and become involved in sports, it's IMPARATIVE that the back part of the car have a plastic liner for dirty sports gear. I just toss everything back there and wipe down the liner after every game. I wouldn't want a sedan with a small trunk, that is for sure. The bigger, the better. Within reason, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results