shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an appraisal necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zabak80

Rough_Rock
I recently received a great diamond from Union Diamond.

I was just wondering if a full appraisal was necessary? It came with an insurance appraisal, and I wasn''t planning on insuring it for more than what I paid for it anyways.

Do I need an appraisal to confirm it''s the actual diamond? It has an AGS inscription on it that could be viewed with a regular diamond viewer?

Should I get an appraisal to verify that it is a "good" diamond?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on your comfort level.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As Stone Cold mentioned- it depends on your comfort level.
To me, checking that the stone matches the report would be why I'd want a second opinion, if my comfort level was not there.
To that end: Union Diamond is a well known and respected company.

In terms of "is it a good diamond"...how does it look to you?
If you love it, a second opinion on that particular aspect may not be needed.

If you do decie to get a second opinion, it's also important that you "shop" the appraiser very carefully.
There's a lot of people calling themselves appraisers that are simply not qualified.
If one of the posting appraisers- such as David Atlas, Neil Beatty or Rich Sherwood recommends an appraiser, you can be sure they are competent.

H

hlpkaixin3344

Union Diamonds is definitely a reputable vendor which is well known here on the forum and the appraisal which (I am assuming) they issued with the diamond will probably be accepted by most insurance companies. We encourage our clients to obtain third party verification of their purchase in the form of an independent appraisal for their own peace of mind because we want them to be confident in the quality of their purchase... having a neutral third party evaluate the diamond or jewelry purchased enables the customer to validate the quality of their online purchase. Not all customers need this sort of validation, plenty of consumers know enough about diamonds to be able to verify the purchase on their own.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/3/2009 5:27:20 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
Union Diamonds is definitely a reputable vendor which is well known here on the forum and the appraisal which (I am assuming) they issued with the diamond will probably be accepted by most insurance companies. We encourage our clients to obtain third party verification of their purchase in the form of an independent appraisal for their own peace of mind because we want them to be confident in the quality of their purchase... having a neutral third party evaluate the diamond or jewelry purchased enables the customer to validate the quality of their online purchase. Not all customers need this sort of validation, plenty of consumers know enough about diamonds to be able to verify the purchase on their own.

Hmmm, that was interesting. I updated my profile and came up as an anonymous user
2.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
From your reply I guess it was you. :razz:

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/3/2009 5:50:18 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
From your reply I guess it was you. :razz:

Yea it was me, I figured out that after updating my profile I was supposed to reply to the confirmation email that was sent by the system... Clicked the link and I suddenly appeared as "me" but then I thought "hey wait a minute, maybe it would have been fun to be ''anonymous'' for a day or two"
2.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha, so NiceIce is up and running?

zabak80

Rough_Rock
Well I had a great team check it out before buying it!!!!

Here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/might-buy-it-nervous-and-need-advice-on-specific-diamond.123806/

I'm happy with it and will be comparing it to some other diamonds in stores this week.

Is there anywhere I can buy a luope to check it out myself?

Assuming that Union Diamond gave me the correct diamond, and you guys checked it out, and I will be comparing it to other diamonds, is it worth the $150 to check it out or should I put the money to making the proposal even better?

As far as price, it was advertised with other vendors at the same, or comparable price. So to me that verifies that I got a good deal.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 6:39:21 PM
Author: zabak80
Well I had a great team check it out before buying it!!!!

Here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/might-buy-it-nervous-and-need-advice-on-specific-diamond.123806/

I'm happy with it and will be comparing it to some other diamonds in stores this week.

Is there anywhere I can buy a luope to check it out myself?

Assuming that Union Diamond gave me the correct diamond, and you guys checked it out, and I will be comparing it to other diamonds, is it worth the $150 to check it out or should I put the money to making the proposal even better?

As far as price, it was advertised with other vendors at the same, or comparable price. So to me that verifies that I got a good deal.
Hehehe! So glad you are pleased with it! It depends on you what level of an appraisal you want, if you just want verification that the diamond matches the report, or a more in depth appraisal which would naturally cost more.

As for a loupe, you can buy one at this link.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=19&ShowAdd=Y

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/3/2009 6:04:34 PM

Well, I''m getting it there... The lawsuit which was filed by my late wife''s parents against me / the estate / the company in what was essentially an attempt at a hostile take over of a company they were never involved in was determined to "lack any merit" in July, so I''m able to start playing again! I''ve leased an office in Downtown Roseburg, Oregon. It feels really good to be back to work again "officially" in the World of Nice Ice.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2009 1:15:46 PM
Author: Todd Gray

Date: 9/3/2009 6:04:34 PM

Well, I''m getting it there... The lawsuit which was filed by my late wife''s parents against me / the estate / the company in what was essentially an attempt at a hostile take over of a company they were never involved in was determined to ''lack any merit'' in July, so I''m able to start playing again! I''ve leased an office in Downtown Roseburg, Oregon. It feels really good to be back to work again ''officially'' in the World of Nice Ice.
Very best of luck Todd!

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I had to get an appraisal for an heirloom ring. It didn''t take very long, but the information given was pretty basic. If the company you bought the ring from includes an appraisal that will satisfy your insurance company, then i would skip getting another appraisal. The only exception would be if you thought the vendor was dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results