shape
carat
color
clarity

Is AGI credible?

Jeff42

Rough_Rock
Found an engagement ring I like, been looking at it for some time now. Its a Jubilant Crown cut round diamond solitaire. The jeweler is ID Jewelry. I wanted a little more peace of mind from the jeweler about the quality and he mentioned they can give me an AGI certification for $60. (yes, cert. is from AGI, that's not a typo)

My question is, is this really worth it or better off taking the ring to my a local jeweler and having it appraised there? Not sure taking it to a local jeweler will do much either because its one of those branded high faceted diamonds. Just wasn't sure how credible AGI really is..has anyone found their certifications to be accurate?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take it to a VERY GOOD appraiser.

In NY David Wolf; MGA ASA, GG: Just Appraisers, NY NY: www.justappraisers.com; [email protected]; ph: 212-812-7945

That's what I'd do. I've never head of AGI and I wouldn't pay for a report from them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff42|1351019584|3290895 said:
Found an engagement ring I like, been looking at it for some time now. Its a Jubilant Crown cut round diamond solitaire. The jeweler is ID Jewelry. I wanted a little more peace of mind from the jeweler about the quality and he mentioned they can give me an AGI certification for $60. (yes, cert. is from AGI, that's not a typo)

My question is, is this really worth it or better off taking the ring to my a local jeweler and having it appraised there? Not sure taking it to a local jeweler will do much either because its one of those branded high faceted diamonds. Just wasn't sure how credible AGI really is..has anyone found their certifications to be accurate?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
in other words...a cert from a Mickey Mouse lab.. :knockout: ..$60???... :lol: i wouldn't even pay $1 for their cert... :nono:

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to chime in and say that I have used AGI NY (at the recommendation of Yekeutial) for an insurance appraisal of my e-ring. They are independent appraisers, NOT a lab. I sat in the room with the appraiser (Mark?) as he examined my BGD diamond. He asked me not to show him the AGS certificate at first, and he was pretty much spot on with his evaluation of the color/clarity/cut. The whole process took roughly 30 minutes and I walked out with the insurance appraisal in hand.

Perhaps Yekeutial meant he would ask AGI to certify that the diamond is as described, not produce a diamond grading report?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results