shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a j color 3 carat cushion Gia, si1 ok?

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Do you think a 3 carat j color would show too much yellow? It's a clean si1, modified brilliant. I've attached the cert and some photos. I'm also concerned that a white gold halo would also make the diamond look yellow? Thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks I

_19970.jpg

_19971.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a GIA J SI-1 August Vintage Cushion in a platinum halo. In certain environments it can look white and in others slightly tinted. But it all depends on your personal preference for color. Here's my thread w/ pics in different lighting environments:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-5-ct-august-vintage-cushion-in-steven-kirsch-halo-setting-t200231.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-5-ct-august-vintage-cushion-in-steven-kirsch-halo-setting-t200231.html[/URL]

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply. Your ring looks beautiful. Any thought on the spec and photos of the one in attached? I put a deposit on it and I'm a little nervous since its hard to tell without a setting ..

_19973.jpg

_19974.jpg

_19975.jpg

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
One more image

_19978.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Too much color" is really personal. Like, I can see a tint in the pictures you provided. But PLENTY of people's rings have that much color at least.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it for you or for someone else?

If it is for someone else, what have they said they want?

And what is your budget?

Also, color is VERY dependent on cut and light return. Have you seen this in person? If you are shopping online, you HAVE to be shopping at a vendor that has pictures and ASETs.

If you are NOT working with a vendor that has pictures and ASETs then you are frankly not shopping smart.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for your help. I'm buying this as an engagement ring for my gf and she said she would like a cushion, but that's about it. We've talked about the size being around 3 carats. I've seen the diamond in person a few times and have compared it to other 3 carats and this seems to be the best in my price range which is about 25k. What are asets? Should I ask the jeweler for this? Appreciate the help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good princess is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return.This will show you how to interpret what you see. Basically you want more Red than green and only a some blue as patterning. And VERY LITTLE to no background color (so white or black).

Most vendors will not have this, and will make disparaging comments like "You don't need that!"... etc. Yes, as a new diamond buyer, you do. If your vendor doesn't have it, you can easily buy one yourself and take it in to check out the diamonds performance yourself. If you are spending thousands this is a VERY smart choice.

That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond you are looking at has a lot of promise.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.57 J SI1 GIA diamond and it does show a little bit of a yellowish tint in certain lighting. My diamond does have strong blue flourescence so it helps it appear whiter in some conditions. I find it looks yellow in the car and in some indoor lighting, otherwise it appears pretty white.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J SI1 antique cushion, and was able to hide the one inclusion under a prong. I would look for a stone with at least faint fluorescence. My J has none, and in some light, I see warmth. See photo of J next to M color stones. Modern cushions are a challenge! There are some good tools out there to help you judge the performance of a stone, but ultimately, your eyes will be your best asset.

You have an exceptional budget to work with! You should be able to get something really incredible for your money. Good luck!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, there are several old threads about color with tons of photos. Many savvy people have opted to go J for the size they want! They face up very white and you can hide the tint on the sides with a halo (diamond color is graded face down). There was a recent poll where many women voted that if they could buy their ER all over again, they would go bigger and slide on color/clarity for the size they crave. Assuming cut was fantastic!

Your cushion selection looks pretty good with the images we have. If you are open to other suggestions and not so much in a time crunch, you may be able to find an eye clean I/Si2 in your size request and budget not easy but they can be found with effort. But the J/Si1 in hand, so to speak, is a good contender. Please let us know more about how you want to proceed? Getting more advice about moving ahead with this stone or wanting suggestions...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant read the paperwork...how big is the table?
The faceting pattern looks like it could be nice.
Really need an aset image and a clos
Up image of the stone.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for he info. This is a great forum. I put a deposit on the stone, but i'm sure i can choose another diamond if it comes down to it. I'm under a time crunch to get it done this week and i'm trying to figure out what to do. I really liked the size and clarity, it's the color that i'm unsure about. I'm going to see the stone again today after work. Is there anything specific i should ask for? I'll see if i can get an ASET image. If he doesn't have it, do you know where i can get it? I. The dimensions of the stone are 8.78x8.18x5.57.

Do you know where i can get an ASET from? I don't mind a tiny of yellow every once in a while, but would prefer it not too be that noticeable in most conditions. I know that the size is important for her. I didn't think getting a ring would be this hard...thanks so much for your advice and reccomendations. I've posted a few more images.

As far as the halo setting, should i request maybe similar colors to the J so it doesn't stand it? One of the pics shows the stone sitting on top of a setting.

photo_753.jpg

photo_754.jpg

photo_755.jpg

photo_756.jpg

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
couple more.

photo_757.jpg

photo_758.jpg

photo_759.jpg

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, you can get an ASET image from an appraiser that has ASET (maybe once you buy the stone with a return policy if the ASET isn't good). But while you can still consider it after work, around the store with it, check it in shade by holding it under your cupped hand or go under the desk, ha ha, as many lighting conditions as you can. Walk outside the store with it. Ask to check the stone in an office room with different lighting (not the show room lighting).

Another idea: I know your gf asked for a cushion. She might also consider a round with a cushion halo. A 2.5 ct. mrb will face up larger (about 9 mm) and an exceptionally cut mrb can hide color/clarity very well. Just a thought.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help! I just spoke to the jeweler and he didn't know much about the ASET, but said he would find out. Either way, he's confident that the yellow tint wouldn't be noticable once it's on the setting. My friend got a ring with him as well, so i'm somewhat relying on his expertise. He seems pretty honest. He also said he would credit me for the stone if it didn't come out correct or we wanted to upgrade later. That makes me feel a little better as i'm under a time crunch. I will go check out the stone in different settings to see what it looks like. The pics of the stone i took are actually taken in his office, with not much lighting. I'm hoping it will look even better in natural lighting conditions.What do you think?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi! I also went to a J color in my cushion to get the size I wanted; however I totally agree with the comments about fluorescence, i have strong blue and it makes my stone look significantly whiter. In addition, to have less contrast in the halo go for H-I color single cut diamonds and unplated white gold- everything will blend seamlessly! I have pics of my setting and stone in another thread, check it out- my stone/ setting always has a bit of warmth but NEVER looks yellow :loopy:

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot about your advice. Unfortunately, my stone doesn't ahve any florescence. I'll request that the setting stones be made from H/I color stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please get any "promises" or assurances in writing. Preferably with his signature. Anything that is outside the store's stated printed returns and exchanges policy should be given to you in writing, and signed.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Gyspy- thanks for the advise. Very good idea. I requested the poilicy in writing.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would insist on a money back return policy vs a store credit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1404850869|3709170 said:
I would insist on a money back return policy vs a store credit.

Me too. In writing.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
I saw this setting and was curious how to describe it ? Is their a name for it? I like having stones on 3 sides of the band.what do you guys think of this for a j color 3 carat cushion? I heard my girlfriend mention that she would like a modern vintage setting.. Any recommendations on what to look for? She in her low 30's. I've been googling a lot of things and haven't found too many that I think she would like. She likes a halo setting, but I was thinking of mixing it up a bit. Thank you.

_20040.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't recommend that. It's called three sided pave. If your lady wants to wear a wedding ring next to her wedding band three sided pave is a bad idea. Also the setting you posted before will allow a flush fit wedding band. This one will not.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I'd personally rather have a slightly smaller diamond in the G-I range than a 3 carat J. I'm not that color sensitive even but can see the color in the one you posted. I'm afraid in certain settings it'll look even more tinted.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
Thakns for the feedback guys. The problem with going to an H color, i'm finding, is that i would need to drop to a size 2-2.5 carat to get it for my budget. Maybe it's worth it. I'm going to the jeweler again today to look at the J color 3 carat to see if i can see a noticeable yellow tint in different environments. Would a setting make the yellow tint even more pronounced? Is there a setting that you would reccommend that would actually improve the color performance or make the yellow tint less noticeable. I've heard both that a solitaire and a halo setting could do it so i'm a little confused.

Thank you all

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A three stone with matched J sides would be lovely. You could do milgrain and engraving to make it look modern vintage. A solitaire two would work.

Mazyar

Rough_Rock
As always, thanks Gypsy. I'm really glad i found this forum. Would you have any pisc of setting that you liked for a 3 stone or modern vintage that your explaining? I'm googling it but it's hard to make a choice.

I'm also curious to hear if people would rather have a 3 carat J or a 2.25-2.5 Carat H cushion? THoughts? Gypsy, what would you prefer?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results