shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 3 carats too big?

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
Is 3 carats something you would wear everyday like to the grocery store, etc.? I had my original e-ring reset in a custom setting and it came out a lot bigger than I had imagined. The original stone is about 1.35 carats and with the halo of diamonds around it it is about 11 - 12 mm across. Because of the way I had the halo designed it looks like one humongous stone unless you are directly on top of it and at very close range. Everyone who sees my ring thinks it is one gigantic stone.

For my 30th anniversary I am looking for a new solitaire. My original stone was a G/H and I’m looking to upgrade to a D, E or F. I am thinking of a 3 carat but want to know if others feel this is too large for every day? Subjective and personal decision I know but I wanted to get some forum members opinions. I don’t think I want to go below 2.6 but there is a big price difference once you get to 3.0. Since my original e-ring is not really a great stone I am afraid to make the wrong decision again. I don’t want to get something too small that I will regret because I am not looking to upgrade this in the future. Any opinions welcome and if anyone has any stone recommendations I would appreciate it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Mine is 2.75 carats but appears larger because it's a marquise cut. I do not have a problem with it!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What ring size are you?

I’m a 6.75 and 3 carats definitely doesn’t look big on my hand.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not for me. Only you can answer the question for you. What to take into account. Your comfort level with the size; your finger and hand size and finger length; how you plan on setting it (lower is easier to wear and also less ostentatious if that is a concern).

And one more thing to keep in mind. DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) is real.

poolgif.gif

:lol:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I wear a 3.4 ct solitaire every day. But sometimes I think I must have fun house mirror vision. Case in point - I have always eyed my friend's oval stone thinking it was very large. She has a size 8 ring finger and her stone still looks huge to me. A few nights ago, we were having dinner and she asked to see my ring. When we exchanged them I was shocked that my stone was quite a bit larger than hers. Really shocked. Hers is a 2.5 ct oval, mine a 3.443 ct round. And all along I honestly thought her stone was bigger than mine. DSS is real.

helen8378

Rough_Rock
Not at all. At the end of the day, it depends on your sensibilities. I'm in the market for an oval/emerald 2.99-3.50 carat, D-VVS1.

I'm still young and I don't think it's practical for me to walk around with a huge rock, but hey that's me. My best friend, on the other hand, got engaged at 23 with a 4.5-carat emerald D-IF. Her ring is blinding and she absolutely loves it. Me? Not so much.

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
Nope. I wear a 3.4 ct solitaire every day. But sometimes I think I must have fun house mirror vision. Case in point - I have always eyed my friend's oval stone thinking it was very large. She has a size 8 ring finger and her stone still looks huge to me. A few nights ago, we were having dinner and she asked to see my ring. When we exchanged them I was shocked that my stone was quite a bit larger than hers. Really shocked. Hers is a 2.5 ct oval, mine a 3.443 ct round. And all along I honestly thought her stone was bigger than mine. DSS is real.

Is the ring in your photo the 3.443 ct? It looks huge to me and I love it! I wear a size 7 and I’m thinking I may be disappointed if I don’t get 3 cts or close to it. I’ll be 55 this year and like I said there will be no upgrades after this.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring in your photo the 3.443 ct? It looks huge to me and I love it! I wear a size 7 and I’m thinking I may be disappointed if I don’t get 3 cts or close to it. I’ll be 55 this year and like I said there will be no upgrades after this.

Thank you! Yes, the one in my avatar is 3.443. I LOVE IT. I wear a 6.5, so pretty close to your size. It is definitely large enough for me but not too large imo. My point was that your eyes will grow accustomed to the stone. What's huge the first day seems normal after a while! Fun house mirror vision!

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I had a 3.29. While it seemed fine on its own, when I put it in a halo setting it make it so large I felt it was gaudy and ostentatious. I honestly feel it made people perceive me in a certain way, a way I didn’t want to be thought of.
I now have a 2.01-ct. (8.10mm) and feel much better. And it is a solitaire, not even a halo. I don’t know what changed in me, but something clearly did.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Nope! :kiss2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 3.29. While it seemed fine on its own, when I put it in a halo setting it make it so large I felt it was gaudy and ostentatious. I honestly feel it made people perceive me in a certain way, a way I didn’t want to be thought of.
I now have a 2.01-ct. (8.10mm) and feel much better. And it is a solitaire, not even a halo. I don’t know what changed in me, but something clearly did.

I get this too. I love a halo on other people. On me I get self conscious that everyone is looking at a flashlight on my finger. I know they aren't but it just seems too much for me. On the other hand, a large solitaire doesn't bother me a bit. Diamond Neurosis- I think I have it!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're the only one who can answer if it's ok for you =) Have you tried a CZ in that size to see how it looks/feels on your hand? I think generally people don't pay too much mind to the jewelry others are wearing (like at the grocery store, running errands, etc.) but there may be occasions that call for leaving it at home so as not to draw attention or give others the opportunity to make assumptions based on your ring.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original diamond is a 2.8ct (it was an heirloom) and at this time in my life that’s a bit too large; I’ve instead opted to “upgrade” to a 1.28ct.

But I know I’m in the minority here with feeling that way.

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
At 3 cts does color matter more than at 2 cts? I was thinking I want D,E or F but do most people considering this size stone go up in color to G or H to make it more affordable? When I am at Costco and they have the D and I stones near each other I can usually tell a difference but not always. I am also hung up on the color because when I got engaged my best friend said my stone was bigger than hers because hers was a D and my was a G :(2 After all these years I still remember that and wonder if I get a G or H will people say the same thing. I know I shouldn’t care but I do. My DH says to get the D,E or F but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra cost.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 3 cts does color matter more than at 2 cts? I was thinking I want D,E or F but do most people considering this size stone go up in color to G or H to make it more affordable? When I am at Costco and they have the D and I stones near each other I can usually tell a difference but not always. I am also hung up on the color because when I got engaged my best friend said my stone was bigger than hers because hers was a D and my was a G :(2 After all these years I still remember that and wonder if I get a G or H will people say the same thing. I know I shouldn’t care but I do. My DH says to get the D,E or F but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra cost.

Sorry but that is a very snotty thing for her to say. I don't think most people can pick out a D from a G, at the same time some people feel better just knowing it's a certain color grade - it's really what matters to you that counts. Sounds like she was trying to make herself feel better about whatever issues she had with her own ring.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another thing that happened with my friend and her oval last week. Her oval is a D. When she asked about my stone, her words were, "what is this an F or G?" It's a J! She isn't a diamond enthusiast but hey I'll take it! Cut is key!!! A better cut will look brighter and whiter face up.

Last edited:

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you are not sure about the size, then you can order a similar sized CZ solitaire from Amazon and wear around the house and see if you like the size. They are inexpensive and you can use them as travel ring later. Maybe after a few days of wearing it, you want to go higher than 3 ct.... :mrgreen:. Amazon has some classy solitaire and they are of very good quality. I believe someone had posted some links before but I cannot find them. I am sure some PSers can give good recommendations.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's another thing that happened with my friend and her oval last week. Her oval is a D. When she asked about my stone, her words were, "what is this an F or G?" It's a J! She isn't a diamond enthusiast but hey I'll take it! Cut is key!!!

sorry to threadjack, but @ceg, i have to say your ring is to die for! Wear it in good health.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Foxtails99

Rough_Rock
Here's another thing that happened with my friend and her oval last week. Her oval is a D. When she asked about my stone, her words were, "what is this an F or G?" It's a J! She isn't a diamond enthusiast but hey I'll take it! Cut is key!!! A better cut will look brighter and whiter face up.
Wow! Would not have thought that was a J. Gorgeous ring!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at @ac117 and her avatar. 3.25 ct on her size 7 is stunning.

3.03 on my 9+ is... alright...:???:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m gonna go against the crowd and say, FOR ME, yes, 3 carats would be too large for everyday and Safeway.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nahhh...no such thing as too large till you reach 12mm in diameter. :wink2:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think something can be too big, but only you know your lifestyle, social circle, activity level, etc. Without that info, I’d venture to say 3ctw is doable for everyday wear where I live (of course one can do whatever/wherever).

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think something can be too big, but only you know your lifestyle, social circle, activity level, etc. Without that info, I’d venture to say 3ctw is doable for everyday wear where I live (of course one can do whatever/wherever).

Do you mean 3 ctw or 3 carat round diamond? I’m thinking you mean both, but just to be certain ... ?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at @ac117 and her avatar. 3.25 ct on her size 7 is stunning.

3.03 on my 9+ is... alright...:???:

Stellla shrinks by the day :lol: OP, definitely go for the biggest and beautifully cut stone you could afford! My previous stone was a 1.81 E and my upgrade is a G-I'm color sensitive in MRBs and my G is still plenty white so I wouldn't limit yourself to DEF only (especially if it allows you to cross the 3ct threshold!).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a diamond forum mainly full of size whores, 3+ carats is big by society standards but it's fairly normal around here. Plus it depends if you are setting it as a solitaire or you are going to halo it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't pull it off where I live, as I am a little older than you and all my friends wear their original engagement rings from their early 20's! I just have multiple diamond rings over 2 cts instead! But since you've been wearing your diamond in a large halo anyway, I think a 3 ct solitaire would not be a problem at all.

I would absolutely go for G-H in any size diamond, and especially over three carats. The key is to get an ideal cut diamond, and I highly recommend Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds. I personally have diamonds from Whiteflash, but both companies carry top of the line diamonds and the pricing is better than brick and mortar jewelry stores.

Here are a few possibilities (WF doesn't have a 3 ct G VS in their ACA line at the moment, and HPD only has one stone over 3 cts and it is J color):

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4054989.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4082507.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3755577.htm

I know WF is getting in new stones every few weeks, so do call and tell them what you're looking for and they can tell you if they have anything coming in. The great thing is that you can get full credit for what you paid on an upgrade. So if you ever decided to go higher in color or larger, you could. Many people here have H and I color stones in 3-6 carats. So a G might be a good choice for you since you do want a very white face up stone without the price jump to F. I do love F color, but I'd never pay for higher than F.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a diamond forum mainly full of size whores, 3+ carats is big by society standards but it's fairly normal around here. Plus it depends if you are setting it as a solitaire or you are going to halo it.
Dont you use a different measuring system in your neck of the woods? We are talking American size 3+. It's like super sizing a fast food meal, very American. :lickout:

And arent your mm, cm and inches different because of the gravitational pull where you are? Same as the way water swirls down the drain? :dance::lol-2::whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results