shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 23% window possible to close?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this mint garnet, I love the color, but the window is quite obvious. Vendor says the window size is 23%, do you think it will close after setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The window isn't particularly large but it will be very difficult to mask because the body colour is light and so is the saturation. Will the bowtie or dark band across the center bug you too? You wrote that you've bought it but I guess you have not received it yet? Once you have it in hand, try the foil test.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How on earth did the vendor calculate a 23% window????? That's very exact!

My issue with this stone is that the window has absolutely NO colour in the centre whatsoever. Typically you see at least some colour but there's nothing with this one. As Chrono has said, it also has a marked bow tie. Both may be less obvious in real life so I think you probably need to assess it when it arrives.

Hope both issues are minimal because the colour is very pretty.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1354648543|3322356 said:
How on earth did the vendor calculate a 23% window????? That's very exact!

My issue with this stone is that the window has absolutely NO colour in the centre whatsoever. Typically you see at least some colour but there's nothing with this one. As Chrono has said, it also has a marked bow tie. Both may be less obvious in real life so I think you probably need to assess it when it arrives.

Hope both issues are minimal because the colour is very pretty.

This! I've been thinking about this for a while and trying to figure out what the denominator is in that calculation - it can't be the top area because the window looks like less than a quarter of it. I agree that it does look pronounced and colorless. Funny how bowties don't bother me as much as others; I like their symmetry :loopy:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The total void of colour is akin to an old cut open culet where light leaks completely though. I don't mind it if it is small but this one is extra large.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Looking at that, it looks like a flat culet. That would mean a serious size reduction to close it. Those happen with crack fixing, bad calculations on crown vs pavilion (which is easy to do, especially as a new faceter), or just plain old thin rough - and a combination of all three could have been it (the facets look a little irregular).

I have a imperial colored tourmaline that has a small flat culet because I wanted a deep pavilion in a hex so I could try to preserve fragments of the green rind (not that successful, but there are hints).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results