shape
carat
color
clarity

Irresponsible Pet Owners!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I just want to scream for a moment...

Yesterday we had a nasty ice storm that made our town an ice rink. Very dangerous.

Today I am home watching my friends son because she had surgery yesterday...i am getting him into my car outside of my house to take him to school, and as I''m pulling away I see a dog...covered in blood. Her mouth was leaking blood, it was all over her paws, coat...everything! Blood soaked.

I could tell she was a pitbull and I had a moment of pause...a pitbull covered in blood, never a good idea. But as a dog-mommy myself I just couldn''t reason turning away.

I jumped out of my car, and slowly approached her...she immediately cowered and submitted. I felt reasonably safe taking her collar in my hand and walking her to my house. She went willingly, almost happily...wagging her tail. I rushed her into the garage...and went back for the boy.

I plopped him in front of the TV and went to tend to the dog. I brought a bowl of water and a warm blanket. She was exceptionally sweet but nervous. She kept trying to "jump" on me...I''m sure it was a thank you-for-saving-me jump, but I was still apprehensive.

I managed to get a phone number off her tag...and immediately called it...only to find it was DISCONNECTED!!!

I had my husband go knock on the owners door--a couple courts away...no one was home!!! My husband made the rounds at the neighbors...conveniently no one knew anything.

As my husband was walking back, a gold impala pulled into the court...my husband stopped the driver and asked him if her knew anything about the dogs owner...lo and behold, the guy driving was the owner!!

He followed my husband home, got the dog...no thank you, no rush to vet, nothing. Just threw the dog in car and left! I am now worried sick...not my dog, not my business--I know...but still, the dog is obviously injured and needed medical attention. I believe she probably slipped on the ice, once or twice or a bunch of time and knocked her mouth--whether she lost teeth, bit her tongue--who knows...but just taking the dog "home" doesn''t seem reasonable.

Not to mention the fact that her tags were outdated!

I am considering going over there again this evening to "check on her"...there was a lot of blood, mixed with saliva I''m sure it looked "more"...but it was more blood than I''d let "go" without a trip to the ER vet. If he hasn''t taken her in, I''m considering offering to pay for her visit...and if all else fails call Animal Control. Does this sound like a good plan??

Ugh, makes me sick.
15.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. I hate people. I could say something terrible now about the Impala, but I''ll refrain.

Call Animal Control tonight. Tell them you found the pitbull, it was bleeding, and you think the owner was fighting it with other dogs. They will go check it out ASAP and at least then you will know someone of authority was aware it was hurt.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Italia, I would feel compelled to go over there too, to check on her. As long as your super-sweet about it, then I can't see them having a problem with your going to see how she is. Hopefully, the outcome will be better than you expected. Maybe he was going to take the dog to the vet and that's why he left abruptly?

As far as animal control, if it comes to that, don't necessarily count on intervention. I would certainly call, however. I will hope for the best.

Poor little doggie. You are a sweetheart for helping her.

ETA: MP - Uggh, I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. I hope that's not the case, but hopefully animal control would be more interested in coming out, given the suggestion of dog-fighting.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I applaud you for taking care of the dog best you could, but there are a few things to consider.

Maybe the dog attacked someone else's dog/cat/rabbit/squirrel and for that reason the dog was not injured.
Maybe the guy doesn't have a job and cannot afford a vet bill.
Maybe he did drive straight to a vet.

If it were any of the three above or even a similar situation, I would think calling animal control is a little extreme given you don't have any facts other than it had blood on him. I would check with your neighbor and maybe bring some soft chewy doggie treats waaaay before getting officials involved.

I know when my dog was hit by a car on the highway (he's fine now) I didn't have the presence of mind to saying anything kind, actually anything at all. I was in shock and I felt terrible for having somehow allowed that situation to happen. All I cared about was whether or not my dog was alive and how bad the injuries were. I was thinking about whether the vet was in town, would he meet me at 2am and if not where else would I call. I later sought out who the person was in that situation and properly (probably profusely) thanked him. At the time though, my good graces were somewhere far, far away.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I would call Animal Control NOW.

Between the blood, the expired tags, the unconcerned owner, and the fact it was a pit bull... yeah, I''d want them to investigate that household.
38.gif

You''re a much braver woman than I am. Never in a million years would I have approached a bloody pit bull.

D

Deactivated member 42515

argh! This makes me sooo angry! People should NOT get animals if they are not going to care for them! Animals can't talk so we need to be their voices!

Italiahaircolor, don't beat yourself up for it. You did a good thing. I know how you feel. My husband had a coworker that had a dog that had a large lump on the side of her body and when he told me about this, I kept telling him that his friend needs to take her to the vet and if he isn't going to, I will. And I was even willing to pay the vet bills! This poor dog. She couldn't even walk straight! I kept nagging and nagging but the dog ended up dying... and even now I beat myself up about it. I wish I had known where this guy lived so that I could just have just taken the dog in... then maybe she wouldn't have died... or maybe her last days could have been more comfortable and painless... i hate irresponsible people...
38.gif
39.gif

ETA: The only thing I may be concerned about is that do you live in an area where pitbulls are "illegal?" If so, and animals control is called, they might just be rash and put the poor baby to sleep! Its so stupid that pitbulls have such a bad rep because of humans! My friends and my mother in law have pitbulls and they are the NICEST dogs ever!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call animal control, give them all the info and let them take care of it. I''m pretty sure in my county they would
check. You might could mention that you were afraid that it was being abused
2.gif
...that way they would be required
to go. If the guy says anything to you you can tell him that you had already called animal control before you found
him (the owner).

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
There is no reason to try and get the owner in trouble because of sheer speculation. If you want to go check on the dog feel free, but there is no reason to call animal control and say that you think the dog is being abused or used as a fight dog (as others have suggested). Who knows why the dog was in that condition? It would be extremely unfair of you to put the owner under fire or even possibly get the dog taken away when you don't know the whole story.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Date: 1/21/2010 2:23:13 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
There is no reason to try and get the owner in trouble because of sheer speculation. If you want to go check on the dog feel free, but there is no reason to call animal control and say that you think the dog is being abused or used as a fight dog (as others have suggested). Who knows why the dog was in that condition? It would be extremely unfair of you to put the owner under fire or even possibly get the dog taken away when you don''t know the whole story.

I say better safe than sorry. If the owner is innocent, then everything will be cleared up. And everyone can go their separate ways but what if he''s guilty and animals control wasn''t called? THis dog is going to continue to be abused its whole life and can''t tell a single soul.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:26:37 PM
Author: YayTacori

There is no reason to try and get the owner in trouble because of sheer speculation. If you want to go check on the dog feel free, but there is no reason to call animal control and say that you think the dog is being abused or used as a fight dog (as others have suggested). Who knows why the dog was in that condition? It would be extremely unfair of you to put the owner under fire or even possibly get the dog taken away when you don''t know the whole story.

I say better safe than sorry. If the owner is innocent, then everything will be cleared up. And everyone can go their separate ways but what if he''s guilty and animals control wasn''t called? THis dog is going to continue to be abused its whole life and can''t tell a single soul.
In my opinion, That''s why Italia should check on the dog HERSELF. Because she cares enough to find out.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock

There is no reason to try and get the owner in trouble because of sheer speculation. If you want to go check on the dog feel free, but there is no reason to call animal control and say that you think the dog is being abused or used as a fight dog (as others have suggested). Who knows why the dog was in that condition? It would be extremely unfair of you to put the owner under fire or even possibly get the dog taken away when you don't know the whole story.

I say better safe than sorry. If the owner is innocent, then everything will be cleared up. And everyone can go their separate ways but what if he's guilty and animals control wasn't called? THis dog is going to continue to be abused its whole life and can't tell a single soul.

If she goes and checks and something isn't right, then by all means call animal control! But I don't think it's fair to call Animal Control based on what I just read. Everyone is assuming the dog is abused when it could have been bloody for 1,000 different reasons. If OP will feel better calling animal control that's fine, but just keep in mind it might also cause problems for a possibly loving owner. Just a different perspective. I certainly am disgusted by people who abuse animals and it should NEVER happen
38.gif

ETA: If it were me I would go over and see it with my own eyes first and get a feeling for the owner and surroundings, then make the call if I felt it was necessary.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Date: 1/21/2010 2:34:00 PM

If she goes and checks and something isn''t right, then by all means call animal control! But I don''t think it''s fair to call Animal Control based on what I just read. Everyone is assuming the dog is abused when it could have been bloody for 1,000 different reasons. If OP will feel better calling animal control that''s fine, but just keep in mind it might also cause problems for a possibly loving owner. Just a different perspective. I certainly am disgusted by people who abuse animals and it should NEVER happen

38.gif

ETA: If it were me I would go over and see it with my own eyes first and get a feeling for the owner and surroundings, then make the call if I felt it was necessary.

Don''t get me wrong, I agree that she should go check first. Calling animal control because of assumptions may even cause more problems for italia if the guy is a loving owner, but she accused him of abusing his dog. But I say if she goes and checks and she has a weird feeling even tho it "seems" ok, she should trust her gut instinct. People are good at hiding things...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:34:00 PM

If she goes and checks and something isn''t right, then by all means call animal control! But I don''t think it''s fair to call Animal Control based on what I just read. Everyone is assuming the dog is abused when it could have been bloody for 1,000 different reasons. If OP will feel better calling animal control that''s fine, but just keep in mind it might also cause problems for a possibly loving owner. Just a different perspective. I certainly am disgusted by people who abuse animals and it should NEVER happen
38.gif

I''m also inclined to agree with PA. Italia, if you want to satisfy your curiousity, check yourelf.. if not - go ahead and call animal control. Report just what you did here. Tags outdated, and there was blood all over the dog. They can prioritize this how they see fit... and investigate if it meets their qualifications.

No need to speculate... just like Dragnet... Just the facts mam, just the facts.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Thank God for people like you...seriously. I hate the thought of animals being harmed. We rescued our German Shepherd baby and it makes me sick to know how badly treated she was before we adopted her.

If I were you, I would stop by the neighbors house and politely ask about the dog. If you sense that something is amiss, call your local ASPCA and have them check it out. As yay tacori said, better safe than sorry.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
double post... oops

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the owner switched him to a Raw Diet
27.gif

Am I the only one that is worried that if this psycho IS abusing his dog, that he will connect two and two and know that Italia called?
Not to mention he knows where you live?? Scary!

And obviously, if not, well, not a big deal.. but still..........

I have no idea what I would do in that situation. But I''m sure that dog is happy you took care of her for a bit!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so glad you stopped for the dog, Italia. Poor thing. I''d maybe go get a box of treats and a toy or something and then stop by their house. You could make it like, she''s such a sweet dog, I wanted to see how she''s doing and say hi and bring her a little treat. (or whatever)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how sad.

Do you feel you're safe going over to the guy's house? Maybe bring your DH along?

When we first moved in and I thought my cat had gotten lost (turned out she was relaxing under my desk!) I had gone out around 9:30 pm to find her. A neighbor came out and we talked for a bit. A few days later she came and checked to see if I had found my cat. I didn't mind it. . .but then again, we had just moved in and she must have felt we were safe. I kinda think that guy may not be a person you want to go up to especially with how he treats his dog AND how he treated you when you told him. . .no thanks or anything? He may be aggressive or dangerous.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:50:13 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Maybe the owner switched him to a Raw Diet
27.gif
hahaha Again, the question: have any neighbors gone missing? lol

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Is there an animal police type place there that you can call. Like that show. Maybe someone like that can go over and check on the situation and if the animal is not be taken care of they can take it away.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:53:13 PM
Author: swedish bean
Am I the only one that is worried that if this psycho IS abusing his dog, that he will connect two and two and know that Italia called?

I have no idea what I would do in that situation. But I''m sure that dog is happy you took care of her for a bit!!!
When people allow fear to keep them from doing the right thing...................

Well, there was a whole country that used that justification in the past.

I would check with the owner. I was wondering if perhaps the dog had been hit by a car in the ice? Certainly it should have seen a vet. What was a dog doing outside a fenced yard anyway?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really makes me ill how so many people abuse their dogs in large ways (like this) and small.

Thank you for doing what you did, Italia, and I definitely agree that you should pop over there as a concerned neighbor to check in on the pup.

It''s really disgusting how so many people are grossly negligent dog owners. We have so many neighbors who *NEVER* walk their dogs in the winter because they''re too cold to do it. They adopt high or moderate energy dogs, walk them for a measly 20 minutes a day when it''s nice out, and then leave them cooped up inside with only a back yard to use in the winter. Do people just adopt dogs and neglect to read anything about what the *dogs* need from their owners? It makes me sick.

CellarDoor

Rough_Rock
Are pit bulls not allowed in your area? Maybe that is why he was hesitant to take it to the vet, I think that in my area if animal control takes in any dog that they even think might be a pit, they just put it to sleep right away. It was very brave to approach that dog, I''m pretty scared of pits. I took my little 7 pound mutt to PetSmart a few weeks ago and some lady came in with two pits on leashes. She could barely restrain these dogs as they barked and growled at my little puppy, licking their lips like she was a treat. Three employees came running out to keep those dogs away. I picked my dog up and she was so scared that she pooped on me.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 4:25:08 PM
Author: CellarDoor
Are pit bulls not allowed in your area? Maybe that is why he was hesitant to take it to the vet, I think that in my area if animal control takes in any dog that they even think might be a pit, they just put it to sleep right away. It was very brave to approach that dog, I''m pretty scared of pits. I took my little 7 pound mutt to PetSmart a few weeks ago and some lady came in with two pits on leashes. She could barely restrain these dogs as they barked and growled at my little puppy, licking their lips like she was a treat. Three employees came running out to keep those dogs away. I picked my dog up and she was so scared that she pooped on me.
Pits are a very misunderstood breed. They''re powerful, so they can be trained to be fighters, but in the hands of a responsible owner they can be the sweetest, most loving dogs. We currently have a pit mix and I''ve never had a more affectionate, eager to please dog in my life.

That woman with out of control pits should be ashamed of herself. It''s people like her that give the breed a bad name.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just can''t fathom how some people...
29.gif

Please do check in on her, and I think calling animal control is a great idea if she hasn''t yet been to the vet, or at least cleaned up with a darn good explanation as to just why she was covered in blood outside in the ice...

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I just can''t fathom how some people...

Me either.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
There is nothing speculative about finding a loose blood-soaked dog. I've never seen an animal "fall" on the ice and hurt themselves so badly as to be bleeding enough to get covered with blood and saliva. Something is definitely up and in my neighborhood it would be suspicious enough to warrant a call to the police so that they can check it out. Personally, I would not go to a stranger's house and ask them how their dog is doing. Like they are going to tell you anything other than, "He must have slipped on the ice."

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 4:05:26 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 1/21/2010 2:53:13 PM
Author: swedish bean

When people allow fear to keep them from doing the right thing...................

Well, there was a whole country that used that justification in the past.

I would check with the owner. I was wondering if perhaps the dog had been hit by a car in the ice? Certainly it should have seen a vet. What was a dog doing outside a fenced yard anyway?
That''s what I was wondering. That poor dog.
39.gif
I am glad you were there for him Italia.. Please keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results