shape
carat
color
clarity

Irradiated blue diamonds

LadyCerulea

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm new to the site, but I've been lurking for a bit and have learned a LOT from the discussion threads here! So here's my question that I haven't been able to find an answer to anywhere on the Internet so far, but that it seems like the folks here might know about: is it possible to find a cultured (synthetic, man-made, lab-created, whatever you want to call it) diamond that is irradiated for color? It seems like the quality cultured diamond producers out there all take pride in NOT irradiating their diamonds for color... And that all the quality irradiated diamond producers out there take pride in the fact that their diamonds are NATURALLY mined and NOT synthetic.

So here's my story: my partner and I have been semi-casually searching for an e-ring together for the past several months and I have learned a lot--both about myself and about jewelry! I originally thought I wanted an emerald, but have come to the conclusion that the stone is probably just too soft (I work with my hands a lot and am tough on everything I own). I never thought I wanted a diamond because I always thought the prices were arbitrarily inflated and had heard a lot about the ecological issues, the "conflict-diamond" issues, etc, and wanted no part of that. Plus, white diamonds always just seemed kind of boring to me; I like vivid colors. :)

But as I said, I'm tough on stuff. I think a diamond might actually be a good idea for me (especially for something I'd be wearing constantly on my hand!) because of its unparalleled hardness. So after looking at a ridiculous amount of pictures online and doing a lot of research, I think I've figured out that what I really want is an irradiated blue diamond. I just love the deep teal color of the stones--I really prefer it to the "natural" blue diamond color, which is too much of a steely-gray-blue for my tastes. But for the same reasons above, I'd actually prefer a cultured diamond to a mined diamond. Also, we're both professional musicians (which means we're very happy doing what we're love, but means we both have a pretty low income!), so can't really afford to break the bank with this purchase--so my natural tastes (hopefully!) line up well with something that wouldn't be too expensive.

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
-Bethany

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bethany,
Welcome to Pricescope and to Lab-Grown Diamonds! Congratulations on your engagement and especially on your decision to go with a cultured diamond!

:appl:

D.NEA is the only company I know that irradiates diamonds in colours other than pink (Chatham makes pinks). But I'm sure that there's more going on in the industry than I am aware of.

Here's a link to their listings of coloured diamonds (other than blue, yellow and orange):
http://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/Other-Colored-Diamonds

I have in the past seen blue-green diamonds on their site. I don't know if they have any at the moment, but you could contact Eric and ask him. They often have more available than is listed on their site.

Here's a pic of a blue-green heart from D.NEA. I'm guessing this isn't what you mean, but if they can make this, they might well be able to make teal.

ETA: Found more pics (on their facebook page!). Still fairly green, but is this closer to the colour you're talking about?

green_diamond_heart.jpg

greenish_blue_asscher.jpg

green_blue_rb.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!! I wonder if the blue-green color you are thinking of is the type that you get with typical irradiated blue diamonds, i.e. http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/14k-White-Gold-1ct-TDW-Blue-Diamond-Solitaire-Earrings/6388580/product.html

If so, then I think the 3rd stone down looks pretty close!

General question for everyone else as I am pretty new at this too...why the difference in blue tones with natural/mined diamonds irradiated to blue vs. naturally blue diamonds and blue lab diamonds? It definitely seems as if the diamonds that have been irradiated to get the color tend to be this electric blue rather than the pale gray-tone blues that you find naturally or the lab created shades?

bluediamondoverstock.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pandabee,
My understanding is that diamonds that are irradiated to turn them blue are usually diamonds that are too yellow to sell as white. The irradiation process turns them blue, but the yellow is still there - thus the greenish tinge.

Blue diamonds that are not irradiated, whether lab grown or mined, contain boron, which makes them blue.

Here's a beautiful example of an irradiated diamond: it's DearBuddha's 1 ct asscher (not lab-grown!).

Attachments

• dear_buddha_blue_asscher.bmp
    698 KB · Views: 7,015

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
periwinklegirl|1361676453|3389005 said:
Hi Pandabee,
My understanding is that diamonds that are irradiated to turn them blue are usually diamonds that are too yellow to sell as white. The irradiation process turns them blue, but the yellow is still there - thus the greenish tinge.

Blue diamonds that are not irradiated, whether lab grown or mined, contain boron, which makes them blue.

Here's a beautiful example of an irradiated diamond: it's DearBuddha's 1 ct asscher (not lab-grown!).

An that makes perfect sense! Wouldn't have thought of that. So are lab blue diamonds made that way during the process (with the boron that is found in mined blue diamonds) or can they be irradiated too? In other words, what mineral/element allows them to make the greenish blues?

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Lab yellow diamonds can be irradiated to blue-green. It's nitrogen that makes diamonds yellow. Lab blue diamonds are grown blue, with the boron.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Since diamonds can be grown blue (with boron), and there are plenty of mined irradiated blues (with nitrogen), there isn't much demand for irradiated blue lab-grown diamonds. However, they certainly are different blue hues (teal blue vs. pure blue), and I can see the appeal for the eco, social and tech reasons if you prefer that color.

When trying to irradiate to bubblegum pink (for example), the diamond can easily go red, purple, brown or orange. The colors periwinklegirl posted were all intended to be green, so there is some randomness with greens too. Starting with a yellow or off-white diamond, teal blue is a relatively easier color to irradiate and is possible to have one treated for you to teal blue. What size and shape are you ideally looking for? Last I checked, we have two 3mm (~.10ct) round "aquamarine" irradiated blues available.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
EEFranklin|1361809708|3389967 said:
Since diamonds can be grown blue (with boron), and there are plenty of mined irradiated blues (with nitrogen), there isn't much demand for irradiated blue lab-grown diamonds. However, they certainly are different blue hues (teal blue vs. pure blue), and I can see the appeal for the eco, social and tech reasons if you prefer that color.

When trying to irradiate to bubblegum pink (for example), the diamond can easily go red, purple, brown or orange. The colors periwinklegirl posted were all intended to be green, so there is some randomness with greens too. Starting with a yellow or off-white diamond, teal blue is a relatively easier color to irradiate and is possible to have one treated for you to teal blue. What size and shape are you ideally looking for? Last I checked, we have two 3mm (~.10ct) round "aquamarine" irradiated blues available.

Eric, I don't want to take over OP's thread and I'm not actively searching right now but thanks for the helpful explanation. I tried to do a search but didn't see any rounds with that size/color available. Can you direct us to them so that we can post pictures of them here in case that is what OP is looking for as well?

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pandabee|1361843497|3390454 said:
I tried to do a search but didn't see any rounds with that size/color available. Can you direct us to them so that we can post pictures of them here in case that is what OP is looking for as well?
Currently, the site just lists graded diamonds (mainly .30ct and up). We will be listing more diamonds under .30ct in the coming months, but in the meantime it is best to just ask in those sizes.

Here is a (mediocre) photo of the two irradiated blues next to two near-colorless whites and a brownish red (each about 3mm and .10ct). It isn't our normal setup and the white balance was off, but "aquamarine" is an appropriate color name. IIRC, they are in the "fancy" saturation level, but with slight green hints, not the typical "neon/electric" deep teal blue in many mined irradiated blues.

irr-blues.jpg

LadyCerulea

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone for all the responses! Yes, Periwinklegirl and Pandabee, it's that deep teal color that I love (the 2nd two loose stones are close and the studs are it!). It's definitely the color you get from irradiation and NOT the boron coloration of naturally or lab-created blue diamonds. Like I said, I originally thought I wanted an emerald (also lab-created--you get much more rich, deep greens from those!), so irradiated blue diamonds being more towards the teal/green end of the spectrum isn't a defect at all in my mind. :)

Eric, thanks so much for the information! D.Nea is actually one of the first places I started looking, but I found that your blue diamonds were all too "true blue" for my tastes. Even the "aquamarine" ones are a bit more on the lighter/bluer side than what I'm looking for. But I'm definitely open to suggestions and ideas! I think we'd probably be looking for something in the .3-.5 ct range... assuming we can afford it. :)

LadyCerulea

Rough_Rock
Update! Turns out this was all for naught (though very educational!) as my fella surprised me with a beautiful vintage diamond/emerald ring. Here it is, along with the watch I gave him in return. Thanks to everyone for all their help, though! engagement_.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results