shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing a new cat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
We adopted a new cat 4 days ago, and we''re having problems getting our old cat and new cat to get along. Does anyone have any tips or experience?

Our current cat is a 3 year tabby who loves cats and dogs and we really wanted to get him a friend. The previous owners of the new cat told us they weren''t going to adopt out their cat to someone who didn''t already have a cat, because he didn''t want to be the only cat.

We did the recommended separation for the first couple of days, and slowly cracked our door so they could see eachother and share some space. They''re not after eachother all the time, but my old cat is being a big bully, biting and tackling the new cat. We decided today that we were going to start enforcing our rules to the new kitty, and the kitty went berserk meowing and hissing at us, and then the old cat ATTACKED him. We had to put them in separate rooms again. Things are getting so out of hand. We don''t know why the cats are acting this way. I know cats, in general, are territorial, but neither cat is unfriendly and both owners were convinced that each needed a companion. Can anyone help?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
It can take months. 4 days is nothing.

and in fact, sometimes it can take years. but I don''t think it will. But still, 4 days is nothing. They should still be apart right now. Ask FireGoddess!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have done this. We kept the kitten in a seperate room for awhile. I can''t remember how long but I have a thread on here about him titled "free kitty." Might say in there. Our older cat would sniff under the door sometimes. Finally we let the kitten out. They fought a lot at first. Our kitty wanted to play ALL the time and really annoyed (and rightfully so) our older female. But with time they are friends now. Not to say they don''t have their moments, because they do, but most the time they are very civil. Good luck. It takes time but it does get easier when they realize they have to deal with each other b/c no one is leaving.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and the biting and tackling thing is a display of dominance. Our cats still do that and it''s been several months. They aren''t really fighting, just saying "I''m in charge!" "No, I AM". As long as nobody is getting injured and there isn''t serious screaming going on, it could just be a fight for dominance which is completely normal.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Should we teach our old kitty not to tackle the new kitty? If we let him do it, the new cat will just hide under the couch and never come out.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
How old is the new cat?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with sumbride-it takes much longer than days for most cats to get used to each other. The best thing is to do it very very slowly. Normally I wouldn''t introduce them actually face to face for about two to three weeks. I''d let them see each other as much as I could through a glass door. Then I normally let them have some contact for a few minutes each day. Slowly build up this time over days and weeks. It will be quite hard to get your old cat to stop fighting the new cat as he is telling the new cat that he is dominant. There isn''t really much that you can do with that as it''s part of their behaviour. It does get easier with time but just take it really really slowly.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Which PSer was it that had a big thread about a cat she found & introduced it to her her kitty who was submissive? There was a lot of good info in it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been through this many times and I am sure, have a few extra grey hairs because of it, but there are 2 things you need to integrate a new cat...

Time and patience.

Cats are very territorial and it can take a long time for them to accept an usurper/ interloper, expect a lot of hissing and yowling, spitting even, hair standing on end and challenges, this is all necessary for them to learn their place and for indoor ' territory' to be alloted, such as mutual chairs, areas, what belongs to whom etc.

This is another good thread which may help you! It is another long one!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kitty-update.34189/

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I know this is something a lot of people have struggled with, and I recall several threads in the past which people have kindly linked here. I know I put this on those threads as well, but just for convenience sake I''ll post it here as well. This link has a really good, free download with step-by-step instructions for integrating a new cat into the household. When we added #3, we followed them pretty much to the letter and it worked like a charm.

I do think that the importance of patience can''t be overstated, but I''m sorry its been such a frustrating experience for you so far.

Good luck!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 7:21:18 PM
Author: sumbride

Date: 1/22/2008 7:07:54 PM
Author: VegasAngel
Which PSer was it that had a big thread about a cat she found & introduced it to her her kitty who was submissive? There was a lot of good info in it.

FireGoddess did it!

It's a LONG thread...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feral-and-stray-cats.61246/
The info was good, but I have to say the cats still live separate lives in my house, and it's been 6 months!!!

Holly (new cat) did get into my bedroom (old cat's safety lair) somehow one evening last week, because I woke up to a ruckus of scrambling screeching cats. Holly was sorta just sitting there at one point, but Chloe (the scaredy cat who has been attacked by Holly previously) threw out some gutteral growling like I did not even know she was capable of. I think it might be possible to let them duke it out, but I can't bring myself to try it. Chloe definitely despises Holly, with good reason. If I could be sure that Chloe could put Holly in her place, I'd let 'em figure it out themselves. But I don't want the new one tormenting the old one.
20.gif
It's really a lot harder when one cat has issues (extreme fear). Everyone else here has had success...AG, rainbowtrout, so I am definitely holding out some hope. I can't live dual lives forever!!
40.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Four days is not very long. The older cat you''ve had for awhile is jealous right now; but eventually (and ''eventually'' could take some time) it will accept the new cat. The younger cat is expressing a little fear because the older cat has anounced its superiority, and basically told ''newbie'' that "This is mine, it''s all mine, the house, the people, everything. Just so we''re clear on that."

The older cat will, in time, begin to act like it was their idea all along. Heck, they wanted you to get the new cat; it was totally cool with them; as a matter of fact, they told you to bring them a playmate!

They will find their own truce, and probably without the bloodshed you fear.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the assurance and helpful resources, everyone. We'll just take it slower. Both of them really are very friendly cats-- I hope they can work it out!

You all are so sweet for taking the time to respond to my cat confusion! Amos says, "Meow!" and Jasper says, "Meow! Hiss!!"
9.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
When we got kitty #2 we locked her up in the bedroom. Kitty #1 knows how to open doors so K was instructed to lock the door when he left for work. Except he forgot.
38.gif

I came home from work to find the bedroom door open and the kitties sitting on opposite ends of the couch. No one was dead and I didn''t see any blood so I figured I''d just let them be. It probably took 6 to 8 months of struggles between them before they worked out who was in charge. Most times #1 would pounce on #2, hold her down for a moment or two, then let her up when he thought he had made his point. I just looked at it like I did when my horses would rank themselves - as long as there is no screaming or blood they can do what they want.

Two years later they are fine. There aren''t friends at all, but #2 absolutely loves her big brother. He pretty much wishes she would drop dead.
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It took a year before we caught our older female licking the younger male. So give it time! Some cats will never get along.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 2:39:30 PM
Author: misysu2
Thanks so much for the assurance and helpful resources, everyone. We''ll just take it slower. Both of them really are very friendly cats-- I hope they can work it out!

You all are so sweet for taking the time to respond to my cat confusion! Amos says, ''Meow!'' and Jasper says, ''Meow! Hiss!!''
9.gif
Your real problem is that they are two males. They have to establish which one is gonna be ''Alpha Cat''. It''ll take some time.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t read all the replies but I think four days is not long at all. When you are not home, I would keep both cats separated. When they are together, I would not let it come to "fisticuffs". As in I would not let any tackling or biting occur. If you have to sort of hold on to one or both I would. Or at least keep them from running toward eachother. I would also praise them when they are near eachother and not fighting saying lots of "Good kitty". I have usually waited a week before I''ve put mine together. I think for us it has always taken quite a bit of time for the cats to figure out their "pecking order" and to tolerate eachother. I have had 8 cats in my married life and so have had to go through the introduction thing quite a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results