shape
carat
color
clarity

Internet Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sailor322

Rough_Rock
I''m a newbie here - doing all my homework before the purchase. What is the mark-up from one of the reputable internet firms and how much negotiating room is there really? I''m in the market for a very high quality 1.5 to 1.7 carat D,E,F - VVS1 or 2 - H&A cut stone. I will have an independent appraisal done etc. I see the per carat pricing information (at least what''s available to the public). Are there any guidelines to negotiating the best deal?

Thanks......

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
It's an interesting question. I am a happy internet buyer based on information and references to a great company to buy from. I believe internet prices are significantly less than what you'd pay at a B&M store, but because there is tremendous partnership between Pricescope and the online internet stores that they refer customers to, I'm not sure you're going to get an answer like "yeah, the internet companies mark their diamonds up 25%," or any similar claim.

I will be interested in responses, if any. It's likely most agree that it's up to the particular customer to negotiate to the degree he feels comfortable. Likewise, it's up to the company you're buying from to accept or decline an offer you may make.

Get some specs onlike and take that to a local Jeweler and you will at least see how much *more* they mark up the diamonds, at the very least!

Good luck. Lots of great info here!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There isn't too much room to negotiate with the online pricing, the prices are already much lower than anything of equal quality that you'd find in a B&M. Sometimes vendors will try to assist you with budgetary restrictions, but for the most part they are operating on an already slim margin...it's not like a B&M store.

That said, curious as to the DEF VVS requirements...the size stone you are looking at is substantial, not sure what your budget is but you could maximize that budget and get the 1.7 as opposed to 1.5 if you at least drop clarity down from VVS. Color is personal to some people and while I am extremely happy with my G colored stone as it's very white...I would drop to H if I had to in order to get better cut or size. However, with clarity, as long as you get an eye-clean stone, you can drop the clarity significantly and no one will be the wiser as long as there are no visible inclusions. If you are wary about clarity, stick with VS but I would highly advise not to pay the premium for VVS...because at that carat size it will be a large $$ difference. Some food for thought.

Good luck!
1.gif

sailor322

Rough_Rock
I'm sure you're right about the VVS. I did look at one stone at a B&M which was a 1.66 G VS2 not ideal around $18K for the stone. It was nice but not great. I am just starting with my sights set high on the quality and will back off as I see what's availbale. I am no rush so I'm taking my time. I'm sure I make a compromise somewhere. The setting picked out looks great with a stone from 1.5 carats to 1.7 size wise so at least I have part of the problem solved
wink2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/22/2003 4:56:58 AM sailor322 wrote:

The setting picked out looks great with a stone from 1.5 carats to 1.7 size wise so at least I have part of the problem solved ----------------

Actually, that weight range does not correspond to a size (diameter) ramge. Among the three stones below, the 1.5cts has a biger diameter (looks bigger) than the 1.7 and the 1.6 is the bigest... The 1.5 and 1.6 may be too shallow cuts for your taste, but they are not exagerated. The example is meant to show that even within that 58%-63% interval depth will influence size as much as weight in the weight interval you mention. It sounds like your setting loos fine with a 7.5-7.8mm stone of whatever weight.

157size.JPG

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pricing of diamonds sold on the Internet is highly competitive. You will not find huge variation in the asking price of any stone from one vendor to the next on the same diamond. Prices are determined on each stone, not in some more general way. Every diamond is sold in a competitive market from the time it is cut until it is retailed. The market is very reactive and seems "smart". Every detail of a diamond is considered and the price generally reflects it. Sometimes a little benefit is gained by a buyer who is sharp, but not a big margin. A tiny percentage extra by being ready and willing can be obtained if you strike at the correct moment to make a "deal". Beyond that, there is no great amount of room to negotiate with Internet vendors.

princess521

Rough_Rock
great info! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results