shape
carat
color
clarity

International Gem and Jewelry show vs online diamond retail?

mnovosel

Rough_Rock
I did a search but didn't see this question. I see that in Chicago there's the international gem and jewelery show coming this weekend: http://www.intergem.com/

My question is on the reputable nature of the vendors or if anyone else has had experience with it? I'm currently in the market for a diamond and a mounting and have looked at places such as Brilliance, Bluenile, and JA. My budget is around $11,000 for a mounted stone. Before I head off to the show, if anyone has suggestions of what to watch out for that would differ from either local or online stores. My guess is that many of the stores are sending a rep on the road so there may not be much of a difference.

Also in terms of price, do the shows typically offer about the same pricing as online or higher or lower?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: International Gem and Jewelry show vs online diamond ret

Most of the mounted pieces I've found that are quality at Intergem are antiques. The settings most of the vendors have are relatively low quality and I'm not sure if any sell loose diamonds. With a budget of 11k, I wouldn't buy a diamond ring from Intergem.

alyssak

Rough_Rock

Hello,

I was wondering about this too, but for a different reason. I am looking to either buy an antique ring to replace my current engagement ring, or to find an inexpensive colored stone to fit in the setting. The setting is a bit complicated and I think I should start another post about it, but would this be a good place to find an inexpensive colored stone? Or a good place to find an antique? I had little luck in the jewelry district of Chicago for what I was looking for (a pre-1920s piece).

In the long run, I would like to replace the ring for something antique, but for now, there is no return policy on it so I'm looking for the most economical way to make it wearable.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

alyssak|1354854231|3325131 said:
Hello,

I was wondering about this too, but for a different reason. I am looking to either buy an antique ring to replace my current engagement ring, or to find an inexpensive colored stone to fit in the setting. The setting is a bit complicated and I think I should start another post about it, but would this be a good place to find an inexpensive colored stone? Or a good place to find an antique? I had little luck in the jewelry district of Chicago for what I was looking for (a pre-1920s piece).

In the long run, I would like to replace the ring for something antique, but for now, there is no return policy on it so I'm looking for the most economical way to make it wearable.

For vendors for colored stones, I (and the others from the colored stones forum) would recommend Vance Gems and Prima Gems. I don't know about "inexpensive," as that really depends on the type and quality, but they have a good selection, amazing quality, and excellent prices. They both specialize in different types of stones, although they each carry a wider variety than just what they specialize in. Vance (Bill and Elke) specializes in collector items, and Prima (Jaimeen and there's another guy who is also at the shows whose name I always forget) specializes in East African stones (forumites particularly like them for mahenge spinels, spessartite garnets, and tsavorite and mint garnets). I have purchased from both of them and been extremely pleased with the transactions. You can read all about them by doing PS searches for them. I've bought from other vendors but those were by far the most pleasant and knowledgeable of the bunch, and also have the best stuff, and now whenever I go to Intergem I pretty much beeline to their booths with my money. They both know about Pricescope so if you mention you're a Pricescoper they'll tell you funny stories about other PSers they've met and sometimes randomly show you cool stuff. They have both also been GREAT to my fiance, who knows absolutely nothing about gemstones. If you are looking for a specific size/type of gem, I'd email them before to make sure they can bring something that fits the bill with them, because they don't always bring all of their stock.

Antiques - as long as you know what you're looking for and can judge whether or not it is a fair price and good/wearable quality, I would say go for it. There have been a number of PSers who've bought antiques at Intergem. I know Elim Gilim (or something like that) is one some people have bought from. The one thing I will say is in my experience the antiques sellers are not as nice as Vance/Prima. But that could also be because I'm in my mid-twenties and look about 17 so maybe I don't look like a serious buyer. Often they'll just ignore me for a really long time even when I'm going "hey, can I get a closer look at this?" I have found good prices on things at some booths and bad prices on things at others. You can definitely find pre-1920s stuff.

eta: Also, STRATEGY. Look at the list of Intergem vendors on the website before you go and write down all the ones you want to go to (I usually search on PS and the internet for recommendations before I go). When you get in, there are maps of the booths on the table - find and circle/highlight the ones you want to go to and then go to those FIRST. Only once you've seen your targets can you then browse. If I'm really interested in something but unsure about it, I have my target vendor set it aside while I look around/think about the purchase, then I make a loop of all the booths and then go back. Also, definitely stop by the Andrew Sarosi booth to look. I can't afford anything they have but boy is it fun to try the stuff on! Absolutely amazing design and craftsmanship.

alyssak

Rough_Rock

Wow, thank you so much for that incredibly informative post. I think I will go, but I am not sure I'm of the budget that is required for most transactions there. I'm making a separate post about my current ring, and I'll link it here, maybe you can give me some advice. I'm looking for a relatively small stone on a budget. I hope that in a few years I will be a more seasoned buyer!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're welcome! The first time I went to Intergem I was SO overwhelmed because there was just way more stuff than I had imagined and so I ended up spending way more time and money than I really should have, so whenever anyone asks about going to Intergem I like to share the tips I can think of for making it a less confusing experience. I'll also say re: budget that every vendor I have ever talked to there has been really good about working with my budget. I just got done with college and so my budget is miniscule - and it was even MORE miniscule when I was actually IN college - but every vendor I have ever been to, even the ones not specifically recommended, has been amazing about helping me find something that fits my requirements that is still within budget.

(And I saw your other post and am working on a reply.)

alyssak

Rough_Rock

oh, thank you again! I'm so new to all of this, though I've been lurking for years. I know exactly what I want but it's been sold, recently, at auction! A beautiful antique cluster ring with a center warm colored diamond surrounded by a whiter cluster and bounded by yellow gold scrolls. But for years I wanted a colored stone ring, so I am thinking this can be my colored stone ring until the next antique beauty comes along.

I really am going to go with your plan in hand!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was looking through your other posts and you posted in one of Gemfever's threads and that reminded me she's the one that definitely bought from Elim Gilim or whatever at Intergem - she got the earrings in her avatar from them, I believe. Possibly a ring too. She has a thread on it somewhere.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results