shape
carat
color
clarity

Interior design - choices choices

White or dark ceiling /baseboards

• White baseboards and ceiling (and door)

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Baseboards in wall colour, white ceiling (and door)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Baseboards and ceiling in wall colour, door white

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have completely refurbished a house from 1880. We stayed extremely neutral with clean lines for the whole place.
I want to have a really fun powder room downstairs though.
I picked a colourful metallic finish wallpaper (christian lacroix butterfly parade) and a dark colour (farrow & ball railings 31).
My question : the door is supposed to stay white like throughout the whole place.
Do I keep baseboards and ceiling white or do I have everything painted in the same colour? IMG_20171220_180437.png
023cdfc21428c3d1a305f370c8e00acf--butterfly-wallpaper-wallpaper-online.jpg railings_4.jpg
(Pictures for illustration only.... not my place in the pics)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooooooove! I’m excited to see the finished project and hope you share. I voted for white baseboards/white ceiling. Will provide a nice, clean contrast for the flyers. I think anything darker will make the space feel enclosed and smaller. White will keep it fresh and open.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks monnie!
The room os tiny, hope will be able to snap a pic!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Monnie. White baseboards/trim/ceiling and doors will be a fresh and clean contrast to the wall colors. At our beach house the original owners painted the walls baseboards and ceilings the same color as the walls and IOO it looked awful. We redid it all a year or so after we bought it with white baseboards and added white crown molding and painted the ceilings white and wow what a difference.

Love your space and love your wallpaper choice and cannot wait to see the finished room. It is going to be beautiful.:appl:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't want your life to get too straight-forward and boring, so I'm giving a different opinion! :mrgreen2:

I was always under the impression that all trim should be white/off-white; doors, ceilings, baseboards, window trim. However, I hired an interior designer a number of years ago and she suggested baseboards in the wall colour. A surprising concept to me, but I see her point and am glad I went with her recommendation. Go with the wall colour on baseboards unless the baseboards are substantial and a feature to which you wish to draw attention. Given the age of your home, perhaps your baseboards are substantial (and your ceilings high) and you might want to draw the eye to them. However, you're talking about a powder room and the beautiful wallpaper has enough going on that there is no need to draw attention to the baseboards.

Whatever you decide will look great!

A lot of these things are choices not a matter of right versus wrong.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This month's House Beautiful shows baseboards, windoww andd door trim painted the color of the walls or the desired/created dominant color from the wallpaper.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted all white, makes the wall colour pop :D

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy , @december-fire , @azstonie , @Austina
Thanks for your well thought input!

Painters are in and I told them white baseboards, ceiling, door..

HOWEVER, when I got back from my errands, they were done with the first layer and painted the baseboards dark. For the moment I'm ok with it and told them to leave it this way until the wallpaper is up. If I don't like it, they'll switch the baseboards.

(Every . Single. Step. of our reno has had some sort of "suprise" like this.... and our construction company is really professional and it's not our first total gut job on an old home :confused:)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s why I stand and watch @kipari , I don’t care if they don’t like it, my home, my money!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know! But I can't be everywhere at the same time... and sometimes I need to leave... and I tell myself, well, I JUST told him how exactly it's supposed to be.. and BAM... the tiles go all the way up to the ceiling, the dark colour goes on the baseboards etc etc...

I think I should start a reno mishap thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know! But I can't be everywhere at the same time... and sometimes I need to leave... and I tell myself, well, I JUST told him how exactly it's supposed to be.. and BAM... the tiles go all the way up to the ceiling, the dark colour goes on the baseboards etc etc...

I think I should start a reno mishap thread

Haha unfortunately I think I will have much to add to the reno mishap thread soon. We are renovating our beach kitchen we are doing it long distance and OMG let the fun/mishaps/terror begin.:lol:

This month's House Beautiful shows baseboards, windoww andd door trim painted the color of the walls or the desired/created dominant color from the wallpaper.

As I mentioned before when we first bought our current beach house the baseboards and all the trim and ceiling and doors were the same color as the walls and it was super UGLY. The previous owners hired a interior designer and somehow it was "all the rage" and quite in style at that time (2010 or so) but it was (at least to us) really unattractive. So we repainted about a year or so after we moved in and wow what a huge difference for the better. Of course aesthetics are personal taste and YMMV and there is no black and white right and wrong here but IMO white trim and white ceilings or at least a contrasting color is so much fresher and more attractive than painting it the same color.

Kipari hang in there and we can lean on each other as the reno continues for us both. Good luck and fingers crossed. And remember in your example above...it is only paint! It's when they start knocking down walls etc that I start getting a bit anxious.:pray:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari , that's not fun. We can deal with some things not going as planned, but its exhausting and stressful when it seems as if everything is getting done wrong.

I bet there would be a lot of people contributing to renovations/home construction gone wrong.
Thankfully, things in that department have gone pretty smoothly for me.
Not that there weren't moments. :lol-2:

Keeping fingers crossed that the work goes smoothly from this point and you'll be able to smile and enjoy the beautiful results. =)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys for the encouraging words @missy and @december-fire!! I keep my fingers crossed for your project, missy!
In the end everything will turn out gorgeous, I'm sure!

For us, in the meantime...
It's been ... complicated :rolleyes:

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
We have completely refurbished a house from 1880. We stayed extremely neutral with clean lines for the whole place.
I want to have a really fun powder room downstairs though.
I picked a colourful metallic finish wallpaper (christian lacroix butterfly parade) and a dark colour (farrow & ball railings 31).
My question : the door is supposed to stay white like throughout the whole place.
Do I keep baseboards and ceiling white or do I have everything painted in the same colour? IMG_20171220_180437.png
023cdfc21428c3d1a305f370c8e00acf--butterfly-wallpaper-wallpaper-online.jpg railings_4.jpg
(Pictures for illustration only.... not my place in the pics)

I can’t wait to see a pic of the finished room. Fabulous wallpaper!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
this is a thread from 2017!! Looks like someone resurrected it to promote their business

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results