shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting JCK Article on State of MMD Industry and Capabilities

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting.
Going to be interesting to see how this market evolves in the coming years.

I also appreciate this from the article:
"All its product is produced “as-grown” and untreated, which Peres now considers part of the company’s value proposition.
“We do not treat our diamonds in any way,” he says. “We believe that will become more important in the future.”

This was important to me when I was looking for a fancy colored lab grown Blue. I didn't want it to have any kind of post growth treatment, no heat, nothing. I wouldn't have purchased a color enhanced MMD.

I'm now hoping someone can prove/disprove that CVD's has less brilliance, and fire than their mined counterparts.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was important to me when I was looking for a fancy colored lab grown Blue. I didn't want it to have any kind of post growth treatment, no heat, nothing. I wouldn't have purchased a color enhanced MMD.

I'm now hoping someone can prove/disprove that CVD's has less brilliance, and fire than their mined counterparts.
There is a certain irony to that first part :lol: lol, but I totally get where you are coming from :)

I am also interested in the potential negative effects of CVD so await further info!

I thought these bits were interesting in the article:
“In some of the [lab-grown categories] there might have been price decreases, which is also the case with natural diamonds,” says Peres. “It depends on the market, it depends on the demand. There are certain kinds of shapes and products that we haven’t seen any drop in price because others cannot grow them.”
His company’s pricing is “all over the place,” he says. “We don’t have a set discount off of [the Rapaport price list]. It depends on the rarity of the item. But we’re competitive.”

That seems to bolster the previously discussions around growers/cutters needing to create their own niche and work it, in order for them to rise above the rest and survive in the longer term :)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
@OoohShiny - I totally get why some may find it ironic.. :lol::lol:.. But I wouldn't buy a mined diamond that was clarity or color enhanced either.
So since I don't make a big distinction between natural vs lab grown, I follow the same logic.. :D:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results