shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting household poll...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is totally silly, but...

So, with all the recent chat (maybe it''s more on-going than recent) about finding the right "balance" of the 4 Cs, I figured I would pose the following question to my boyfriend, my roommate, and her boyfriend:

Presuming that all cuts are equal and excellent, which would you pick if you had $20,000 to spend on a diamond:

a. 1.03 D IF H&A
b. 1.76 F VS2 H&A
c. 2.37 I SI1 H&A
d. 1.60 D VS2 H&A

The independent, blind answers were:
My answer - c
My boyfriend''s answer - c
My roommate''s answer - b
Her boyfriend''s answer - b

Even more interesting, BOTH my roommate AND her boyfriend, niether of whom know anything about diamonds, inquired about going down in color to a G and possible up in carat.

So, yeah, both couples were in total sync. Even though none of the couples have ever discussed diamonds (they''re not at that stage yet and we''re a colored stone couple) before!

Maybe try it out with your friends and their SOs... Could tastes in diamonds predict longterm compatibility?
(Hey, I told you that I knew it was silly!)

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I''d have to say I''d probably either choose b or d. The only reason I wouldn''t choose c is because I don''t think I need a diamond that big...lol. The reason I wouldn''t choose a is because I think spending $20,000 for a "perfect" diamond is a waste of money, especially if you only get one that size. My husband made the same choices, and he doesn''t know anything about diamonds other that what I''ve told him
2.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably choose "b" because even though the "I" color would probably be white, it wouldn''t be "mind clean" and that would bother me. But at the same token, I don''t need a "D" color and an "F" would be perfectly acceptable to me.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I can''t choose between B & C...I guess I''d have to see them in person to see how much I noticed to color difference, but if the I looks good, then the I it is.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm B all the way! Or even better...an "almost" H&A 2.0 FVs2 or Si1!!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My fiancee would pick D. That looks similar to what she ended up wanting. I''d have to take a look at B before I decide. I have to see if I really don''t notice the color or would it bother me compared to the size difference.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I''d have to agree with your friends, velouria, and go for a slightly larger G stone than the F stone in choice b. Or, like MMM said, a larger, almost H&A stone.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
b; good poll.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
b for me.
2.gif

nerdbot

Rough_Rock
Split between b.) and d.). Fiancee said the same.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I said B, my bf said B knowing basically nothing (that I know at least!) except for me emailing a quick chart of color and clarity to him along with the question.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did something like this a lonnnggg time ago, aka posting a budget and selections on what you'd get with it! I don't recall answers though or even the title of the post!!

I would choose C hands down, send that 2.37 over to my house ASAP!!!
2.gif

Greg would just say 'whatever is biggest' since he knows my madness quite well. Sounds quite compatible to me!
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with B or D. It depends how much I would notice the 0.16 carats...I''d need to see. If it''s pretty noticeable to me, then I''d go with B. I''d love a huge honker like C, but I had an I color stone once, and it wasn''t "mind clean" for me. So I''d have to pick the smaller size with higher color. My husband would vote "whatever she wants."

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
My first instinct would be C. I could handle the extra color NO PROBLEM.. Would give it some warmth.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It'd make most sense for me to pick A, even though I know that it's a total waste of money purchasing a D IF. My main issue is that I'd never actually wear a 1.60 or a 1.76, so even though I gravitate toward either a D VS2 or an F VS2, a diamond of either of these larger sizes would sit in my jewelery box.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
I would go with C. not because of the size but because I love warmer diamonds.

bobswench

Rough_Rock
d. for me.

Skavatar

Rough_Rock
B or D, but the F color stone would look just as white as the D color once its mounted. they''re color graded upside down. and since they''re all cut to excellent, there will be so much sparkle and fire and light return that you can''t tell the diff.

carrot

Rough_Rock
If all of the cuts really WERE equal, then d. But they aren't.

Every diamond is unique and H&A reveals more about symmetry than it does about light return.

Light return (brilliance, fire and scintillation) is the single most important attribute of a diamond. (People who understand the least about diamonds almost invariably sacrifice quality for size.) Compare Idealscope images and GemEx reports of prospective stones with those of known excellent performing diamonds. These will provide some of the most important information in the shortest amount of time.

Cut angles and proportions are absolutely vital information that you will want to evaluate before buying any diamond. If you don't understand what they mean, take the information to someone who does.

Make sure that you understand the significance of color. This might be more important than you think. Go to a jeweler where you can examine stones of different color grades, say D, F and H, or D, G and J. Then you will better appreciate why colorless stones command the price that they do.

Don't buy a stone that isn't eye clean, or at least eye clean after it is mounted. If your stone has visible inclusions, once you notice them, you will see them every time you look at your diamond.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Most likely C, but B is a strong possibility. I love a big diamond (duh), but I''d have to see the I color in person. I generally go for icy white, but size is just as important to me so that would make it a difficult choice. No choice for 2 ct G SI1?

DiamondLil

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
A of course- I am sensitive to color and over 2 car. is huge to me. Sure you are paying for high clarity you don''t notice. But I will know! :)
1.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I've narrowed it down to B and D...and I guess my final answer would have to be D...just because it would be fun to know that I had a D...stupid reason, I know! I think a 1.6 is a huge diamond and plenty big enough for my hand, esp. in a solitaire! I tried on some enormous round stones (2 ct+) and for some reason, they didn't "look" right on my finger. In other shapes, however, or maybe with sidestones, I think I could pull it off.
28.gif
I would never go for IF though...that's just silly! Fun poll! klr

mmorrison

Rough_Rock
A for me

I want my next big diamond purchase to be a ''perfect'' diamond, a real hierloom

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
So, so far, no one who asked their SO got a conflicting answer? Innnnnteresting!

z78gml

Shiny_Rock
I would pick "d" - size wise you couldn''t probably tell the diffrence from "b" but color wise it''s 2 grade higher.

My husband picked "d" as well.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, we didn't pick the same one
38.gif
39.gif
2.gif

i chose b and hubby chose d. of course he wouldn't be in too much trouble if he showed up one day with d.
3.gif
1.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
C all the way, especially if it''s eye clean with some fluorescence!!!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitally B.

My target value for diamonds is G VS2, and willing to vary around that.

In diamonds above 1.5 carats I believe that most people would notice the color of the I unless it were set into a gold (gold colored) setting.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results