shape
carat
color
clarity

Insuring ring during shipping

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your reassurance! I've decided to work with Sako to rehab my setting. I was wondering how you all insure your jewelry during transit? I've seen "U-PIC" online but am not sure this is legitimate? Should I pay for insurance through UPS/FedEx/USPS? Is there a preferred carrier? I saw some old threads indicating jewelry might not be covered?

Thanks again for the help!

Sherry

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your ring is not an inexpensive trinket, USPS is your only truly viable option -- and USPS registered mail, with insurance (think $50,000 is the max available), is what Jewelers Mutual recommends.

That said, have you asked Sako if he will send you a FedEx shipping label for your use? Jewelry-gemstone dealers/vendors often have a special account with FedEx, not available to us consumers, Even if you reimburse him for the cost, it's likely to be less expensive -- and less hassle (the USPS has very strict requirements re the packaging-taping for registered mail items) -- than using USPS.

Also, do you have a fairly recent appraisal for the ring; in the event that the ring gets lost en route, either USPS or FedEx will want you to submit an appraisal as part of the claim process. They won't take your word for what the ring is worth ;))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your ring is not an inexpensive trinket, USPS is your only truly viable option -- and USPS registered mail, with insurance (think $50,000 is the max available), is what Jewelers Mutual recommends.

That said, have you asked Sako if he will send you a FedEx shipping label for your use? Jewelry-gemstone dealers/vendors often have a special account with FedEx, not available to us consumers, Even if you reimburse him for the cost, it's likely to be less expensive -- and less hassle (the USPS has very strict requirements re the packaging-taping for registered mail items) -- than using USPS.

Also, do you have a fairly recent appraisal for the ring; in the event that the ring gets lost en route, either USPS or FedEx will want you to submit an appraisal as part of the claim process. They won't take your word for what the ring is worth ;))
Yup, this. I've gotten prepaid FedEx labels from Jewelers before and it makes everything easier even if it's pretty expensive ($40-50).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto. Have Sako send you an insured shipping label. Less cost and hassle in the long run.

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I’ll ask him if he can do this. We have an appraisal from 2016 when we purchased the ring (in its original setting)- do you think this is sufficient?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone, I make this explanation regularly. I don't guess I've ever stated this more clearly.

Welcome! Are you with Mark Morrell? If so, be sure you add the trade designation to your profile so it shows up on your post. We've had a lot of members in the past get your beautiful settings!:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I’ll ask him if he can do this. We have an appraisal from 2016 when we purchased the ring (in its original setting)- do you think this is sufficient?

I would say yes. We haven't seen any significant price increases in that time. Sako is very skilled and does a lot of engraving on CVB pieces including some of mine! It's really fine that you are going directly through him for your changes/repairs, because that way you pay one person instead of two!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the warm welcome, diamondseeker2006. I am Mark Morrell. I thought I had checked the "Trade" reference box when I signed on. I don't see a way to verify / change that at the moment.

Wow, it is so great to see you here! I am afraid I don't know how to do that, either! But I think you can click report concern below your post and ask an administrator for help! I'll tell you what? I am going to start a new thread to welcome you here. So watch for it in a few minutes here on Rocky Talky!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually just sent a few items to DK and asked him to send me a prepaid shipping label for the insured amount. It cost me $109 but I felt it was well worth it because it gave me peace of mind.
He used UPS next day delivery and I sent the box out in the afternoon and he received it by 10 am the next day.
In the pst when I’ve sent things to Whiteflash I always used their prepaid Fed ex shipping labels as well.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am not the norm and gamble at times. I have shipped registered mail without full insurance and it was fine. Not saying you should, but registered mail is pretty secure.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not the norm and gamble at times. I have shipped registered mail without full insurance and it was fine. Not saying you should, but registered mail is pretty secure.

It is very secure and usually registered mail packages are not lost, since they must be signed by each person who handles it along the way. It can take two, three, or more weeks before it is delivered though, and the post office will not even take a lost package report on registered mail untl 30 days have passed.

I once sent a package to a lady in Oregon with two beautiful sapphires who chose one and asked her husband to send the other one back to me.

About three weeks later I called and asked if they had forgotten to send the other sapphire back. Her husband had done so. I told her the package was not received and he needed to file a claim. "Oh," was the reply after she talked to her husband, "He told me he did not bother with insurance as the mail is so good."

We waited another month and nothing. I took mercy on her and sent every penny over my cost back to her for the two gems.

I think it was two and a half years later that I received the package, postmarked way back when and again in some Eastern city three days before I received it. I asked, "Hey what the heck?"

The local postman guessed that the box had not come out of the bag when it arrived to Boise and the "empty" bag was tossed in a corner to be reused when needed. Apparently it was not needed for those two and a half years and then went back East, only to now be returned to Boise.

I called, all excited for the lady to tell her the gem had been returned and what the post office said they thought happened. She was not at all happy.

Oh well... Just saying, ship wisely!

Wink

sherryberrybear

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Sako was able to send me a label and now the ring is in California fingers crossed it’s a relatively easy/inexpensive tune up!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
elizat said:

I can understand why you might be tempted to declare less than the proper value, but it is against Postal Regulations to under declare value in Registered Mail. They calculate the risk of loss with an eye to the relative value of the contents. When you don't declare the proper value, the Post Office can't take the measures it might choose to take to secure the shipment. There is some logic to their rules in regard to correct value declaration. In addition, I understand that some businesses or individuals lost their Registered Mail privileges due to not following the regulations. I don't think it is worth the risk to gamble with this shipping method although I do sympathize with saving a buck.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
elizat said:

I can understand why you might be tempted to declare less than the proper value, but it is against Postal Regulations to under declare value in Registered Mail. They calculate the risk of loss with an eye to the relative value of the contents. When you don't declare the proper value, the Post Office can't take the measures it might choose to take to secure the shipment. There is some logic to their rules in regard to correct value declaration. In addition, I understand that some businesses or individuals lost their Registered Mail privileges due to not following the regulations. I don't think it is worth the risk to gamble with this shipping method although I do sympathize with saving a buck.

I would not make a claim though. The risk is on me if it goes missing.

I just don't make claims. I had a break in at my old house and instead of submit the claim to insurance, I just dealt with it. I had property damage at my old house and my insurance would have covered it, but I just paid for it. It wasn't worth the hassle or increases premium to me.

Eta: I am a lawyer and work in the realm of insurance companies and coverage. I understand that most would submit a claim for the above. I have too much insight into the process with my particular situations to want to even go down that road.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have many friends who works for the USPS and they told me they handle all Registered Mail packages the same way with or w/o insurance. He said if they lose a high value package the USPS will fight you to death before they'll ever pay you. They say it is up to you to prove that there was a high value item inside. How the heck can a customer prove what was inside? :confused:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have many friends who works for the USPS and they told me they handle all Registered Mail packages the same way with or w/o insurance. He said if they lose a high value package the USPS will fight you to death before they'll ever pay you. They say it is up to you to prove that there was a high value item inside. How the heck can a customer prove what was inside? :confused:

My retired post man Uncle Larry says the same thing. He also says to tip your post person at the holidays- lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results