shape
carat
color
clarity

Insuring jewelry while living abroad (moving to France)

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

My jewelry is currently insured by Jeweler's Mutual, but I am moving to France (from New York) at the end of the year. Can anyone recommend a company to insure my jewelry while I am living abroad? The Jeweler's Mutual policy does not cover insureds who are not US residents.

Thanks very much.

Reactions: AV_

thewidow54

Rough_Rock
Hi boxbits,

Curious what you ended up doing about insuring your jewelry in France. My wife and I are in a nearly identical scenario as you were last year: We are moving to France from New York and have an engagement ring insured at Jeweler's Mutual.

Seems like jewelry is most commonly covered by homeowner/renter's insurance but coverage is limited and they don't reimburse if it's lost/stolen outside of the house...

Would be super helpful to read what you ended up doing... :)

Thanks

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
This is an extremely late reply, but I thought I’d respond in case my experience proved helpful (or unhelpful as is the case) to anyone else.

We were told that our French renter’s insurance would cover my jewelry, but only after establishing our residency for 2 years and, as thewidow54 mentioned, with rather limited coverage. We also looked into international insurance coverage, but found that this was really to cover priceless art and like objects.

We have now been here for almost 3 years and we still have not insured my jewelry. Instead, I wear my ring all the time (to the gym, on vacation, hiking, etc) and hide other pieces strategically throughout our house if we are gone for a length of time.

This seems to be the practice for most people we know, though there are some that keep their jewelry in safety deposit boxes at the bank.

Though this may not be the response most will be looking for, I hope it will at least save some time for anyone in a similar situation in the future.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results