shape
carat
color
clarity

Inspiration pictures for moonstone metal halo - I'd love some help!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi. I have a rainbow moonstone cab that’s being set in a pendant. I had originally decided on a metal halo with the stone bezel set, but I hadn't realised how much of the height of the stone the bezel would cover. The stone is comparatively small for a cab, around 8 by 6mm and around 4.75mm deep, and the cads showed about 40% of the height of the stone being covered by the bezel. I know the cads need to show more metal than will actually be the case in the finished design, but it worried me that, even so, a bezel would hide too much of the surface of the stone (given that it's a small cab and that it's moonstone, so the interest is in the play of light on the surface of the stone, not just in the colour of the material like it would be for an opaque stone).

So I thought that having the stone prong-set would be better, as it would enable more of the surface to be exposed, and the metal halo could gently tilt away from the base of the cab. My problem is in finding an inspiration picture that shows this to send to the designer. If anyone has any examples of prong-set, metal halo, cab stones that they could post I'd be very grateful! I haven't managed to find anything that covers all aspects, which is making me worry that it might not be a good idea for some reason!

Here's the style of metal halo (but converted to a pendant) I'm after, but I can't find something similar that's prong set:

halo1.jpg

This one is probably the closest (again in ring, not pendant, form) in terms of indicating how I'd like the full height of the stone to be visible (but I'd like fewer and much more delicate prongs, and without the clunky gap between the stone and the halo), but it's a coloured stone halo, not an engraved metal one.

halo2.jpg

And prongs probably more like this one, but with a halo gently sloping away from the base of the cab so that the full surface is visible:

halo3.jpg

Has anyone seen examples that pull together some/all of those elements in one place? Or is there a reason why it wouldn't work? I guess I could send the individual pictures, but I know it's a busy time and I think I'm frustrating the designer after changing my mind when I saw the bezel cads, so I wanted ideally to be able to send a picture that clearly indicates what I'm after. Any help, ideas or inspiration pictures would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about moonstone. How soft are they? Sounds like this will be a lovely project. Are you able to show any CADs of your previous design?

As a first thought I thought two things - one, what about a semi bezel? And two, what about an air gap between stone and halo?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Some examples, probably you have seen all these already but just in case it's inspiring:

This?

This is obviously an exaggerated air gap, personally that gap is too big for my liking, but makes a point?

Is your halo just metal or will there be stones?

What about this? That looks very proud, I know that's not a moonstone but it's the correct shape.

I wonder actually how much of a stone like this is in the bezel? It might not actually cover that much of it?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently had a similar dilemma wth a marquise that I didn’t want to bezel because it would decrease some of the sparkle, but I love the look of bezels and wanted to protect the girdle.

I ended up going with the idea of a collet style setting! You can see inspiration pics here. My ring is still being made by my jeweler.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezelling-a-marquise.244555/page-4

rosemarygumdrops

Rough_Rock
It sounds like my rings mount is kind of what you are looking for. I could be totally off.
20180719_171727.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder actually how much of a stone like this is in the bezel? It might not actually cover that much of it?

I was surprised when I saw the cad at how much height was covered by the bezel. I guess, as it’s a cab, there’s no hurdle to grip onto so the bezel has to go higher?

Thanks for the pics! The third one you posted is probably closest to what I’m thinking but the halo will be engraved metal rather than stones. A picture with the combo of engraved metal halo but with prongs holding the stone is proving elusive to me!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently had a similar dilemma wth a marquise that I didn’t want to bezel because it would decrease some of the sparkle, but I love the look of bezels and wanted to protect the girdle.

I ended up going with the idea of a collet style setting! You can see inspiration pics here. My ring is still being made by my jeweler.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezelling-a-marquise.244555/page-4

I adore collet settings and would love one with an OEC in the future. They manage to look traditional but sharp and uncluttered at the same time. My worry with a collet for a moonstone is that it might not go with such a whimsical stone - don’t know if that makes sense? I can’t wait to see your marquise!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Obviously not exactly the same, but this is what I imagine when I read your post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm34EJuFI2R/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=9n8ilnr2yr1s

Cvb does a lot of great prong/bezel hybrid styles that might be a good starting point for your jeweler.

I love Caysie’s casa, and her Anne style which is pretty much my perfect metal halo! My only problem with it is that I have a tourmaline cushion I want to set in an Anne pendant and would like something different for this. Not a real problem, I appreciate!

You’re right though - I could definitely use either as an example of prongs inside a halo, but just with the halo in my case being engraved metal.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like my rings mount is kind of what you are looking for. I could be totally off.
20180719_171727.jpg

Is this cvb’s Anne setting? If not, it’s very similar and I love it. I’m planning on setting a tourmaline in this style, so wanted an engraved metal halo for the moonstone. But the prongs inside the tightly fitting halo are perfect. I can’t seem to find any similar examples with an engraved metal halo - I wonder if there’s a reason why it isn’t doable or advisable?!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the pictures! Tab prongs are great - I have them on my engagement ring. I’ve been assuming that prongs on a cab stone would need to be longer and slightly chunkier than on a stone with a girdle as there's no girdle edge for them to grip on to. So I think tab prongs might need to be too large for this setting to work? Love the pics though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results