shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited sapphire & diamond ring

SparkleRookie

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

A couple months ago my mother gifted me an heirloom ring that was my great-grandmother's. I'm told it's a center sapphire, and the cluster/halo is diamonds (all original except for a couple which my mom had replaced in the 90s). My mother doesn't remember much about the ring except that my GGM wore it nearly every day. When my mom had the missing diamonds replaced, she was told by the jeweler that the stones were genuine, the shank and inner prongs are yellow gold (although can't recall if 14k or 18k, and stamps have been worn off for many years), and the outer prongs are platinum.

I'm going to being having some repair/resizing work done on the ring this year in order to get it in a safely wearable condition again, but I was hoping those of you with more knowledge of jewelry history could tell me more about it! I'm curious about what era you think it might be.

My GGM was alive from 1885-1961. My aunt believes that GGM definitely had the ring pre-WWII but doesn't know what year it was gifted to her. I don't know if the diamonds are "RB" or "OEC" - my eyes aren't trained enough to know the difference. :confused:

mring1.jpg

mring3.jpg

mring2.jpg

mring4.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a colored stone appraiser or expert near where you live? The reason I ask is because in the 2nd pic it looks like there is some wear and scratches on the table of the sapphire. If you are going to have the prongs rehabbed you may want to have the sapphire polished at the same time. But, I wouldn't trust that to just any jeweler. I haven't used David Atlas, appraiser, but I've seen other PSers feedback on him and it is positive. I might contact him before you do anything. You don't want to have a vintage/antique repaired too frequently so learning all about it can help make repolishing, stone replacement, prong repair, etc decisions. Especially since this piece has sentimental value, too.

I like the elongated shape of it and would love to see hand shots if possible.

SparkleRookie

Rough_Rock
kgizo said:
Is there a colored stone appraiser or expert near where you live? The reason I ask is because in the 2nd pic it looks like there is some wear and scratches on the table of the sapphire. If you are going to have the prongs rehabbed you may want to have the sapphire polished at the same time. But, I wouldn't trust that to just any jeweler. I haven't used David Atlas, appraiser, but I've seen other PSers feedback on him and it is positive. I might contact him before you do anything. You don't want to have a vintage/antique repaired too frequently so learning all about it can help make repolishing, stone replacement, prong repair, etc decisions. Especially since this piece has sentimental value, too.

I like the elongated shape of it and would love to see hand shots if possible.

Thanks! Actually, in the time since I posted this thread, I brought it to a jeweler who specializes in restoring antique jewelry. I got the call today that it's ready for pickup, so I'm going to get it tomorrow! I'll probably post photos in this other thread I have going in the Colored Stones forum: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...heirloom-sapphire-rings-pics-attached.226562/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results