shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited antique marquise diamond ring!

WellsyBells

Rough_Rock
I recently inherited my grandmother’s engagement ring and wedding band. She was married in 1952 and wore this ring day and night, until she was 95. I can picture it on her hand as far back as I remember!

I’m not sure if it was new when she received it. Can anyone guess as to when it was made, if it was around 1950 or possibly earlier? It is a 1.8ct marquise stone with baguettes, set in platinum. The two rings are soldered together. Below are pictures. Thanks for any insight! 2D08FBD6-AF47-4EDA-B7DE-F3CF9FA01E5A.jpeg 3BB37E9F-4842-4386-BA89-46504C94C381.jpeg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any useful insight, but I just wanted to say that's a lovely set, and you're very lucky. Your grandmother must have had fantastic taste!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I recently inherited my grandmother’s engagement ring and wedding band. She was married in 1952 and wore this ring day and night, until she was 95. I can picture it on her hand as far back as I remember!

I’m not sure if it was new when she received it. Can anyone guess as to when it was made, if it was around 1950 or possibly earlier? It is a 1.8ct marquise stone with baguettes, set in platinum. The two rings are soldered together. Below are pictures. Thanks for any insight! 2D08FBD6-AF47-4EDA-B7DE-F3CF9FA01E5A.jpeg 3BB37E9F-4842-4386-BA89-46504C94C381.jpeg

It's a lovely ring to be sure. It's wonderful you have this to remember her. When was the earliest record of her with this ring? See if you can look at her wedding photos. I could be wrong, but that setting looks very 70/80/early 90's to me. I remember back to the 80's the marquis cut went through an intense popularity phase, much like ovals have become popular now.

That and the baguette wedding band looks very iconic 80's, especially with the heavier setting. I wonder if it could have been an upgrade later in life.

The 50's were usually very much an illusion setting with a smaller diamond (depending of social circles). I am grabbing a picture off of the internet for a popular 1950's look.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

WellsyBells

Rough_Rock
It's a lovely ring to be sure. It's wonderful you have this to remember her. When was the earliest record of her with this ring. I could be wrong, but that setting looks very 70/80/early 90's to me. I remember back to the 80's the marquis cut went through an intense popularity phase, much like ovals have the floor right now. That and the baguette wedding band looks very iconic 80's, especially with the heavier setting. I wonder if it could have been an upgrade later in life.

She wore it on her wedding day in 1952, and there are lots of pictures of her wearing it when my mom was little in the mid 50s. It was definitely her original ring! I guess she was ahead of the times? =)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
She wore it on her wedding day in 1952, and there are lots of pictures of her wearing it when my mom was little in the mid 50s. It was definitely her original ring! I guess she was ahead of the times? =)2

That's awesome, and yes - she was!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@WellsyBells what a gorgeous set! You are so lucky to have them. I have my grandmothers rings, cherish them and think of her every time I wear them.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you, it’s lovely :kiss2:

WellsyBells

Rough_Rock
Looking at this online...it was a mid-century fashion (and I missed the mark). I learned a new thing today.

Thank you for looking that up! I appreciate it!

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful set - lucky you to have such a lovely reminder of your grandmother. Wear it in good health

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She had fabulous taste! What a beautiful way to always remember her.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! I hope it brings many happy memories of her when you wear it!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
what a fabulous set! it's extra fabulous because it was your grandmother's! and now, it looks lovely and elegant on you. i hope it brings you comfort and warm cherished memories of her

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Looks quintessential mid-century modern. I would be surprised if it dated back further - the marquise might... Looks like narrower, more modern facets but I could be wrong, but hard to tell from pics

Lovely set and how nice that you get to keep it and remember her by

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow ! :kiss2:
How lovelly you inherited your grandma's rings

Rosa

Shiny_Rock
This looks like it was made for your finger! It is chic and definitely looks mid-century modern to me. I wear some of my grandmother’s jewelry and it really brings joy to think of her putting the same pieces on. Congratulations and enjoy!​

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous set, I really love how the band fits with it, never seen a band like that before :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful, beautiful ring set!

I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother & I hope these rings give you much joy. What a stylish lady she must have been!

Nymf

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for your loss, that is a gorgeous set! Sorry no additional insight from my side

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful.. love it.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring!! Such a treasure to wear. Enjoy!

WellsyBells

Rough_Rock
You are all so nice! Thank you so much for the kind notes.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely set :)

collier

Shiny_Rock
So stunning! I think everyone would enjoy more photos. I love that you have the visual record of her wearing it on her wedding day and throughout your mom's childhood.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results