shape
carat
color
clarity

Information about gold ring with red gemstones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cthoyes

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone can here can tell me anything about this ring. I found it in the grass about 20 years ago. There are no markings that I can see on the ring. I don''t know whether there is a specific purpose, style, or design associated with this ring or whether it''s just a unique handmade piece.

Thank you.

goldring65489871648432965.jpg

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Is it at least stamped for it''s gold origin? I would take it to the mall jeweler to have them test if it''s at least real gold. You might get more responses in Rocky Talk.

cthoyes

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your response. No, there are no stamps or markings on it whatsoever. No ''14K'' stamp or anything like that. And thanks for the suggestion about posting it in Rocky Talk, maybe I''ll do that if I don''t get any information.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a pretty rough casting, and it's not in any style or design that I recognise. By any means get it tested - most jewellers will do it for free - but I suspect it's a toy/costume ring in brass with coloured glass. Sorry.

One thought - do you have a good kitchen scale measuring weight with a resolution of 1g? If so, try weighing it. A gold ring of that size and shape should be somewhere around 10-12 grams. If it comes in at that or higher, there's a good chance it's gold. If it is about half, it's unlikely.

cthoyes

Rough_Rock
I will do that, thanks.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
my thoughts...
1-the design is from a ten year period dating from the late 1960s to the 1970s...modern geometric shapes was in wide use until the more organic nugget look took over in the mid 1980s.
2-the three red stones in a row in a mounting like this were popular in the 1970s.
3-the work is rough and looks like a jewelry class project...the color of the metal, rough interiors and un-polished surface suggest that its not gold but non-precious base metal used in jewelry classes.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this exchange fascinating. Did cthoyes, the original poster, ever weigh the ring or take it to a jeweler? I would be interested in any follow-up. I am impressed with the knowledge of our members!

Deborah
34.gif

cthoyes

Rough_Rock
The rings is at my father''s house. I only have the photo. I''ll bring it with me the next time I visit and see if I can get it to an expert.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I need to spend a little more time grazing in the grass! Good luck finding out info~

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/3/2009 2:36:16 PM
Author: cthoyes

The rings is at my father''s house. I only have the photo. I''ll bring it with me the next time I visit and see if I can get it to an expert.

Good! Let''s keep this thread open until then!

Deborah
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results