shape
carat
color
clarity

INFO OVERLOAD! HELP PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling77

Rough_Rock
If anyone can help that would be great. i need to tell my diamond guy specific parameters for an RB that i''m looking for. All of the calculations are a little overwhelming & confusing. I know the basics for the RB that i''m searching for, but can someone give me their expertise on a .80-.85RB breakdown that would be an overall balanced & nice diamond for my budget??

my budget is $3500-$4000
.80-.85 RB
SI1
H&A
E-H color

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
depth - 60 - 62 ( although you can go deeper if all else is right, suggest a max of 62.6%)

table - 54 - 57%

crown angle -shallower 34 - 35% getting a bit steeper = further eval

pavillion angle - shallower 40.5 - 40.9 or 41 getting a bit steeper= further eval

girdle thin to slightly thick, medium, slightly thin are all fine, avoid extremes such as thin to ex thick.

Make sure to come back and run the numbers through the HCA tool to make sure you are getting a well cut stone before you buy!

bling77

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much neatfreak! This definatly helps to lighten my load=) Is the HCA tool on pc? just a newbie!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 6:55:31 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

Date: 1/18/2009 6:49:28 PM
Author: bling77
Thank you so much neatfreak! This definatly helps to lighten my load=) Is the HCA tool on pc? just a newbie!!!

HCA is https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

You can find it under the tools tag above.
Importantly...your diamond guy can find it, too, and it''s a free utility.

Ask you them to just use it, and only get back to you with options scoring from 0 - 2. Using this sort of measurement is just much more direct (and available) than deferring to something else that only kind of tries to say the same thing (like the parameters approach).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with going much below 62 on depth is that it may cost you on the diameter, or face-up size/appearance. Do specify that you only want GIA or AGS certified stones.

You might want to use this search tool and put in excellent-excellent for cut and check AGS and GIA for labs and get some prices to compare with the ones you get from your guy.

https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bling,

Added to the numbers Neat gave you as below, here are some angle combos which might help you.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate.

Also here are some good angle combos which might help from one of the experts.

Here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

bling77

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for everyones imput! I''m one step closer to finding the perfect diamond!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2009 4:45:56 AM
Author: bling77
thank you so much for everyones imput! I''m one step closer to finding the perfect diamond!!
You are most welcome and you will find the one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results