shape
carat
color
clarity

Indented natural???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocoa

Rough_Rock
hi all,
i need your help to understand indented natural on diamond

if it''s a tiny piece of rough diamond skin that didn''t get cut/polish off, can one "feel" it, see it, since it''s an external blemish (exclusion)?
How''s that different from feather/cloud/crystal - you know, those typical inclusions

i''m considering this diamond that has 2 indented natural spots in the middle of the table
it''s an SI1 so i''m afraid that they''ll be visible and "bumpy"
i''ll have to call the vendor to ask, but would like to have your opinions/thoughts
thanks
michelle

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
An indented natural is on the surface of the stone and generally the other types of inclusions you mention do not break the surface. And they are just all different types of blemishes. Think of it like the different types of acne (sorry this is the best I can come up with right now!) there are blackheads, whiteheads, cysts, etc., but they are all types of acne. This is just like inclusions...

They are probably so small that it's fine, but it is certainly worth asking the vendor before purchase to get their reassurance!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what you''re describing is a *natural*, which sticks out from the surface of the diamond, but an indented natural is almost like a tiny "nick" that actually goes into the surface. (I''m sure there is a better/more techincal way to describe this, so hopefully the experts will chime in!) I would be very leary of indented naturals on the TABLE though; that seems odd to me. Do you have a copy of the cert? Who graded the stone? And what about magnified pics of the stone itself?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy this is tough... I would ask Jon what he thinks.

cocoa

Rough_Rock
yeah, it had me worry

i''ll send Jon a note, but if he happens to be online now, Jon, would you comment
emwink.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 11:05:48 PM
Author: cocoa
it''s GIA cert.

here''s the link to the diamond

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4490/

what do you think of it?

The indented natural is on the pavilion side of the girdle.
The inclusions under the table are 3 crystals and a cloud and are in the stone not on the surface.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

4490gogGIA.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I inverted the darkfield images to pop the inclusions.
cy = crystal
cl = cloud
F = feather
n = natural which is on the pavilion.

4490CLARITY-inverted.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
They large crystal is the grade setter and if its not eye visible the stone is good to go.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2008 11:21:05 PM
yeah, it had me worry

i''ll send Jon a note, but if he happens to be online now, Jon, would you comment
emwink.gif
Hi coacoa.

Caught your post. I think strm nailed it but I''ll confirm when I get back to the store Tuesday. From what I recall the natural was no issue whatsoever. That diamond has a great mix of broad and pin fire going on too.
emthup.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw neat idea doing the negative Karl.
1.gif

cocoa

Rough_Rock
wow!!! strmrdr, thank you for such detail works.
that was amazing, what tool/software did you use to enlarge and invert the images?
new stuff to learn everyday on this forum
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Now, once Jon confirms that crystal is eyeclean, i''m ready

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re seriously considering it you may want to reserve it now. People have been known to loose diamonds they posted on these boards due to not reserving them.

cocoa

Rough_Rock
Addy, thanks for reminding me
i just put it on hold... phew... a little bit of excited/anxious... can''t wait till tomorrow to hear from them

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good! Nothing to loose putting it on hold. Hopefully it''ll be eye-clean.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 3:11:56 PM
wow!!! strmrdr, thank you for such detail works.

that was amazing, what tool/software did you use to enlarge and invert the images?

new stuff to learn everyday on this forum
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Now, once Jon confirms that crystal is eyeclean, i''m ready

I used faststone on the first, photoshop on the second because I had it open.
I could have used faststone for both.
It rocks and its free I use it dozens of times a day.
I posted a tutorial here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/faststone-image-viewer-for-editing-images-for-forums-on-windows.71470/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results