shape
carat
color
clarity

Indecisive necklace project. Help!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I think I have hit some sort of block where I am incapable of making decisions. I'm exhausted from fighting tech issues and an unending amount of work. It is all so petty during the times we live in but I'm an expert at internalizing so here we are

Backstory. I bought my cousin benetoites and had then set in a pendant by Daniel M. I loved it so much I wanted one so husband said order one. My benetoite connection showed me a pile of stones and I selected 6 2.5mm and a 4.05mm for the necklace (because at this point it was an embarrassment of riches) never fear I got the 1.75mm for another pendant just in case. I also convinced the husband to get me a pair for my birthday as earrings.

Here is what i have to work with. I also picked up a cute kite shape from Tim at inoro which isnt as intensely blue but pretty close.

20200603_125755.jpg
20200603_125750.jpg

20200601_170237.jpg
My initial thought was bezel everything and space it out DBTY style. The 4mm in the center

Or

Concentrated towards the middle?
Screenshot_20200523-082956_Instagram~3.jpg

Or should I scatter the stones randomly?

And now that i have the kite, what about a cluster? Or is the color too different? I have a single MRB about the size of the round bene-too much? It is an ok stone but doesn't have as much sparkle as the the benetoite. And I have a 2.3mm round.

If i did the 3 benetoite as a cluster would you bezel them or just do prongs?

20200603_135341.jpg 20200603_140346.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. That necklace is gorgeous!

I like the idea of making yourself both a necklace and a ring and you can wear them together!

I think the cluster with the MRB would make a great delicate ring, and you could then set your other benis as a necklace in the style of the pic, though my preference would be either WG or RG and not YG!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think you should absolutely go ahead and make the necklace with the round stones. The kite shaped one I would set in a halo or cluster ring.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input. I have 2 benetoite rings so I'll probably use as a cluster or save for later, they are prone to chipping and scratching hence the bezel plan.

I'd normally do WG and my rings are WG but my husband's first xmas gift to me was an 18 inch yellow gold opal necklace so everything from the neck up is yellow gold. That is also why it has to be 16inches. He is also getting me a pair of benitoites for bezeled studs.

I wish I could wear rose gold, it just doesn't work for me :(

I played a bit more with the cluster idea. I'd leave what to bezel and what to prong to Dan.

20200604_152822.jpg

I'm just undecided on how low to start the 2.5mm stations. I don't want to waste them behind my neck or do I bunch them all together?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Has Dan bezeled this for you before? Are you prepared for contingencies such as what you want to happen if one or more of the benitoites get chipped during the bezeling process?

Once the gem has been bezeled, the setting is more protective to the gem than prong setting. However, the process of bezeling imparts a not insignificant amount of force to bend the metal to hold the stone. That alone would make me think twice about getting them bezeled.

I love Dan's work, but he unexpected chipped a spinel of mine once. I don't blame him, but in my opinion getting a softer stone bezeled is taking a risk, and benitoite is softer than spinel or heck, even paraiba.

However, if you're doing it in yellow gold, there's less risk than if you get the stones bezeled in white gold, reason being white gold is not as soft and is more difficult to work.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @voce was the spinel chip fatal?

Occupational hazard of loving these soft little guys is they not only chip but outright crack in half. I had a stone crack when Yvonne made me a ring last year and I trust her and her setter unreservedly. I preface everything with the understanding that chips and cracks come with the territory. Bezeling is safer for my wearability, as you rightly point out so I'm taking the chance. Dan hasn't done a bezel on these at least for me, he is going to prong set the rhombus for that exact reason, but he did a flush set (pave maybe) into a pendant for me, so I know he has worked with them. He has a few bezeled Tanzanites and Dan (the gem guy) said they are similarly soft, so someone who can handle one can do either. I did shop around for setters and was surprised that a few places won't touch them, but I guess it makes sense. And one place I considered hadn't set one before but was willing-that made me nervous too.

Contingencies
I know I can get more of the 2.5mm easily, worst case scenario, or just go for a scatter or 4 per side. The Rhombus and tiny guy were inexpensive, so I'd be sad but not devastated. I can swap one out for a diamond, maybe a marquis or pear for some interest. I'd be most upset if the 4mm cracked, a chip I can live with. Even with that one I have access to another stone if things got dire.

I am doing yellow gold, I didn't know it was softer, good to know, that would have definitely swayed me had I been going for WG. I have had silver recommended for that reason too.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Words like fatal to describe a gem. :confused:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Words like fatal to describe a gem. :confused:

Sorry meant was the chip small enough to be covered, was the spinel still able to be set?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Sorry meant was the chip small enough to be covered, was the spinel still able to be set?

The spinel was still able to be set, but the chip was not small enough to be covered. Dan did solder on a couple of motifs in gold that go over the table of the gem, but if you looked closely enough you can still see the chip, because it wasn't a chip like a "flea bite", but a part of the top of the gem sheared off. It was an accident and these things happen. Just as long as you're aware of it deciding to set benitoite that way.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results