shape
carat
color
clarity

Incorporating humor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RedG44

Rough_Rock
So I have a whole bunch of ideas floating around in my head for a proposal, and I am stuck debating whether to incorporate humor into the proposal. The reasoning is that I will still be able to be sincere and earnest, but also make things a little bit fun, and make for a more memorable, better story to tell her friends. I have a few ideas, but they''re not fully formed enough to share, so right now I''m just wondering whether people think it can be appropriate to incorporate humor, or if a proposal should always be 100% traditionally romantic, even at the expense of novelty/good story.

All thoughts are welcome.

Avus00

Rough_Rock
A close buddy of mine went out and bought a thong from Victoria secret or something. On the thong, he wrote a note saying "GOT YA!" attached to it.

He left the thong on the couch so of course his girlfriend would find it and get pissed. When she did, he got on one knee.

He said she was confused at first, and realized it was a joke - so she was crying and laughing while he did his proposal spiel.

very different and it worked out perfectly. they've been married for 3 years now. one of the happiest couples I know.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the humor - I laughed through half of DH''s proposal, because a) I didn''t know he was proposing and b) he was recounting our past together, and a lot of it was pretty funny. For me, "romantic" means being able to laugh and smile - I''m not a person that feels comfortable during candle-lit dinners with rose petals covering every surface, yanno? If DH would have proposed like that, it just wouldn''t have felt like "us."

But people have posted "humorous" proposal ideas here before that have honestly not been humorous. I think trying to play a practical joke or prank while proposing sends a really bad message.

Avus00

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 2:36:28 PM
Author: Elmorton
I think trying to play a practical joke or prank while proposing sends a really bad message.
Sure it does ... for dull and uptight folks ...

tabu

Shiny_Rock
I think incorporating the "right" humor is totally fine and even cute! I don''t think you should play a practical joke or anything like that, but if you are you GF have fun together, have a good sense of humor and enjoy yourselves than I say go for it.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I''d only be ok with humour in my proposal if it held some meaning in my relationship and if it represented me and my BF well. I don''t think I''d appreciate a practical joke...and no, I''m not humourless or uptight at all.

Really, it depends on your girlfriend. If you think she''d appreciate it and your ''joke'' had meaning behind it, then go for it!!!

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
I think humor can be very effective if it truly is "you" especially if it comes naturally. What really makes a proposal romantic and special is if it''s sincere and thoughtful.
You seem to plan on that anyway. So, if humor is a way to lighten the mood and gives way to sincerity and thoughtfulness, then it can be really fun and memorable.

However, I''d caution that humor which only masks the true intentions and is executed poorly can be a major bust. But even with a "bad" proposal, if you both really love each other, she''ll love you for doing it anyway. Best of luck!
37.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
If you are thinking about it, I think it must show that it is very "you" and that humor must be central in your relationship. My FI proposed to me when Jaws popped out of the water (not at Universal, though) because of Mallrats and us always thinking that movie was hilarious. I was expecting some romantic European proposal (we had a trip planned), but in the end he chose the way that was much more "us" and I really appreciated it.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I think incorporating humor in the proposal can be absolutely perfect - if it reflects the two of you and how you normall interact with each other.

I had a funny proposal from my fiancé. We were hosting a weekend long bonfire/house party at a farm we own and after he, his brother, and his best friend had gotten done burning all sorts of junk from our barn he said he had "one more thing to do". Knowing him and the others involved, all I could think was, "Oh sh*t, what are they going to burn/explode/melt next????" The next thing I know, he''s down on one knee with a GIANT ring (literally, it was a "diamond" ring paperweight) and proposing to me and saying how only the biggest and best would do for his girl! The ring was absolutely hilarious and everyone, including me was laughing hysterically. It was the perfect proposal for us because we are very seldom serious about much and are always joking and laughing and some of our favorite memories are from our house parties.

But this definitely isn''t the proposal for everyone - many girls want the fairy tale romantic proposal and you need to be sure that your girl is definitely not like that before going the humorous route. We just aren''t the rose petals & candles & chocolates & overly sentimental types, so it worked for us.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
I love to laugh, I love humor, I love smiles and oddly, I have to answer no "humor" to the proposal, instead sincerity and love - NOT because I think ihumor is tacky or anything, but because I''m hoping your lives will be filled with humor and smiles every single day and personally, I would want the proposal to be a bit out of the ordinary, special. Whatever you do, will be fine. Good Luck.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I think you know your lady. Listen if she tells you stories of other people''s engagements and which ones she ooos and ahs over. I also think that as long as you take the time and effort to plan SOMETHING, she''ll love it.

Its the proposals that aren''t creative that made my girlfriends really ANGRY. The ones that are not their style. IE) One guy proposed to his girlfriend after a really fancy dinner (she thought he''d do it there) and she was undressed in a robe w/ towel wrapped around her head and she was brushing her teeth. He was trying to be like... I love you when you think you are at your worst. Well she is the girl that dolls up for everything, and would never be seen w/o makeup or her glasses on... she was incredibly hurt that he didn''t know her enough to know that she wanted a big to do.. and to tell people it happened w/ white toothpaste rolling down her chin ANGERED her.

Another girl went hiking w/ her BF in Arizona on a heat advisory day. He wanted to propose at the top of a mountain... However, they didn''t pack enough water and she was getting sick from heat stroke, then they had to cancel the dinner plans because of dehydration. He didn''t ask her on the mountain because she was puking and he worried she might have to see a doctor. He ended up proposing at the house after a shower because he couldn''t stand waiting anymore, and was mad that her vomiting ruined his perfect proposal.

Now, these didn''t end well for the male suitor. I also know many many many romantic stories of proposals, and what mattered to each one of them was that it was what their girl dreamed of... 1)propsed at a baseball game on the jumbotron 2) had the restaurant write will you marry me on a plate for desert and propose 3) flew her to FL and proposed on the beach by the ocean w/ a secret camera set up to record the whole event.... blah blah blah.

So I know it was long, but think about your relationship, and things she likes... as long as it isn''t something that makes her feel like your proposal took zero effort or planning, she''ll swoon for years to come.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
TLH - good post!

I think you have to do what you think she will love the most. You do know her the best and you should think about her personality when you think about how you will propose.

I love the idea of incorporating humor with the proposal but only if that humor is somewhat tactful. Of course, that isn''t necessarily how your gf sees it but that''s what I think!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It really depends on the couple, and the b-t-b''s sense of humor. When my bf proposes, I completely expect there will be an element of humor, because that''s the way we are. We constantly joke around, and we have our own little fun jabs that we take at each other, but that''s when it''s just him and I and no one else is around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results