shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusion plot on a vs2

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Hello All... it’s me.. again.

I’ve been taking a look at this diamond and got an idealscope and report for it.
It’s a 2.27 I VS2 GIA with an HCA of 1.2

Is it bad if an inclusion plot has so many things listed?

I love my recently upgraded diamond and the way it performs. But my finger is so big I wanted to go just slightly larger. However if this stone is worse for so much action on the diagram (in comparison to what I have now) I’d rather keep what I have.

AFB83D26-BFCA-4989-A20D-3A9850EFB7F4.jpeg DF41B617-4781-44CD-8B10-DB5F1D15DB2C.jpeg

What do you all think?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this diamond on hold? If not, put it on hold first. Then post a link of the stone so that we can view the video.

Normally I like VS2+ clarity stones, but the inclusion plot does look messy. That doesn't mean it's bad though. Since we can't see the stone in-person, a video is the next best thing.

Have you asked JA if the stone is eye clean? Are the crystals clear or black?

The proportions and IS image look good. I just want to make sure it's eye clean, and that the inclusions aren't affecting light performance.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Is this diamond on hold? If not, put it on hold first. Then post a link of the stone so that we can view the video.

Normally I like VS2+ clarity stones, but the inclusion plot does look messy. That doesn't mean it's bad though. Since we can't see the stone in-person, a video is the next best thing.

Have you asked JA if the stone is eye clean? Are the crystals clear or black?

The proportions and IS image look good. I just want to make sure it's eye clean, and that the inclusions aren't affecting light performance.

Thank you @sledge !! They said it was eye clean. Crystals appear white. What do you think??
Here’s a link

Attachments

• 11D17798-CBDD-43D9-82E9-5EA5D71D62E4.png
    11D17798-CBDD-43D9-82E9-5EA5D71D62E4.png
    466.3 KB · Views: 131

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
My other stone didn't have an idealscope image available. I'm wondering if that was because it would scare off a buyer? Maybe a confirmation that this one may perform better? but the inclusion plot is intimidating for sure.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the inclusion plot aways going to bother you (like it is not mind-clean so you cant get it out of your head)? I'm the type of person
that can let it go as long as when I look at it I dont see anything (but sparkle). I do see a few inclusions in the blown-up version but
I'm pretty sure I would not see them in real life.

I think this stone is worth taking a look at.

BTW I wouldn't make any assumptions about the cut of your old stone just because there was not an Idealscope or Aset image.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Is the inclusion plot aways going to bother you (like it is not mind-clean so you cant get it out of your head)? I'm the type of person
that can let it go as long as when I look at it I dont see anything (but sparkle). I do see a few inclusions in the blown-up version but
I'm pretty sure I would not see them in real life.

I think this stone is worth taking a look at.

BTW I wouldn't make any assumptions about the cut of your old stone just because there was not an Idealscope or Aset image.

Thank you for your input @tyty333 ! I'm the same way, as long as it is sparkly I am happy! I just didnt know if the inclusion plot action meant it's sparkle was sacrificed. There also seems to be a feather around the girdle, which my inexperience and price scope forum searching has mentioned may be bad? If it looks good I'll be changing it hopefully :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The girdle inclusion is an Indented natural. Its a part of the old skin left on the stone. I tried to see it from the front in the blown-up images but
couldnt find it (it is on the bottom side). I would ask the gemologist about that also (any durability issue?). How big is the area?

Again, for some people, it is a mind clean issue.

For others, as long as it is a small area and has no effect on the stone they are ok with it.

Edit...I see from your SMTB thread that this would be an upgrade from your current upgrade (which looks lovely I might add).
So here is the relative size difference of these two stones on a size 8 finger.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
The girdle inclusion is an Indented natural. Its a part of the old skin left on the stone. I tried to see it from the front in the blown-up images but
couldnt find it (it is on the bottom side). I would ask the gemologist about that also (any durability issue?). How big is the area?

For others, as long as it is a small area and has no effect on the stone they are ok with it.

Thank you so much!!

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock

Edit...I see from your SMTB thread that this would be an upgrade from your current upgrade (which looks lovely I might add).
So here is the relative size difference of these two stones on a size 8 finger.
Capture.PNG

Yes! It’s a small difference that will def be a mind issue for me. It’s a big price jump so I’m trying to be meticulous with the research. The size is worth it to me. But not if the inclusions affect the performance. I haven’t seen too many diamonds in real life up close to know any better if it would:confused:

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
I could live with those inclusions. What I can't live with is that poor symmetry!

Do you think the one I have now is more symmetrical? I feel like it’s not:lol: is this one more symmetrical or less? (The ideal scope to my eyes looks symmetrical, right?) sorry I’m trying to learn :)..... perhaps I should give up. Lol

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think the one I have now is more symmetrical? I feel like it’s not:lol: is this one more symmetrical or less? (The ideal scope to my eyes looks symmetrical, right?) sorry I’m trying to learn :)..... perhaps I should give up. Lol

its GIA excellent symmetry.

There is nothing wrong with its symmetry

Last edited:

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
That means the one I have now is crappy too. Lol. I am giving up.. I just wanted a bit bigger and still sparkly (I’m actually very picky but really lowered my expectations due to budgeting) but if it’s bad and not worth the $5k price jump hey I’ll stay as is. I’m still waiting for them to call me back to take payment but I don’t know if I should do it, all I know is when I see mine I wish it was a tiny bit larger
I dunno.. thanks for your help everyone I do appreciate the time

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That means the one I have now is crappy too. Lol. I am giving up.. I just wanted a bit bigger and still sparkly (I’m actually very picky but really lowered my expectations due to budgeting) but if it’s bad and not worth the $5k price jump hey I’ll stay as is. I’m still waiting for them to call me back to take payment but I don’t know if I should do it, all I know is when I see mine I wish it was a tiny bit larger
I dunno.. thanks for your help everyone I do appreciate the time

I’m sorry I can’t help right now as I am flying out first thing tomorrow morning and am running around like a crazy lady trying to get packed and realizing I’m going to have to check a bag lol.

Let me tag some people who can maybe help you @rockysalamander @yssie @arkieb1 @MissGotRocks

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you link to the other thread and show your current setting if you haven’t already? Thanks.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Would you link to the other thread and show your current setting if you haven’t already? Thanks.

Thank you so much @whitewave

here is a link to my upgrade thread with my current setting

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Symmetry may not be perfect, but looks pretty good to me.

I think maybe @TODiamonds was looking at the varying lengths of the arrow shafts. For instance the arrow shaft at 1 o'clock looks much longer than the shaft at the 7 o'clock position. But I think that is the result of a tilted image.

I really like the proportions -- 55 table, 61.8 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF. The idealscope image looks good. HCA score of 1.2, which is expected.

Despite the clarity plot looking gnarly, the super zoom video view on the JA site makes me think you will probably be okay. Still I think it's worth asking JA about it being eye clean. What have they said?

Also, color of this and the 1.90 you currently have look very similar.

DF41B617-4781-44CD-8B10-DB5F1D15DB2C.jpeg

CaptureHCA.PNG

Capture190v227.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah.....link to the original thread on the 1.90 with cert & link to video, etc.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Symmetry may not be perfect, but looks pretty good to me.

I think maybe @TODiamonds was looking at the varying lengths of the arrow shafts. For instance the arrow shaft at 1 o'clock looks much longer than the shaft at the 7 o'clock position. But I think that is the result of a tilted image.

I really like the proportions -- 55 table, 61.8 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF. The idealscope image looks good. HCA score of 1.2, which is expected.

Despite the clarity plot looking gnarly, the super zoom video view on the JA site makes me think you will probably be okay. Still I think it's worth asking JA about it being eye clean. What have they said?

Also, color of this and the 1.90 you currently have look very similar.

DF41B617-4781-44CD-8B10-DB5F1D15DB2C.jpeg

CaptureHCA.PNG

Capture190v227.PNG

Just so I can catch you before it’s too late do you think this one is better since the arrows look clearer ?

48E20109-C016-467F-986A-D0D79B62EBC5.jpeg
Funny all this time I was looking at diamonds with the darkest arrows and when I got mine I only see them in special lighting so I guess it doesn’t matter or is that normal? Reading your response now @sledge ! :) thank you!!

they said “it’s a vs2 so it’s eye clean”:rolleyes:
Oh how I’d love to go to Whiteflash (not possible:(2 )

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
they said “it’s a vs2 so it’s eye clean”:rolleyes:
Oh how I’d love to go to Whiteflash (not possible:(2 )

Geez....I'd try to talk to a different rep or ask for a manager. A good majority of VS2's will be eye clean, but it's not a guaranteed thing. Size, location, type, color, etc of inclusions come into play.

While I think this stone is probably okay, what bothers me is they dismiss your concerns.

I'd just be clear that you want a gemologist to look at the stone and render an opinion concerning the clarity instead of assuming broad stroke assumptions are correct. If they give you more flack, be clear you are spending lots of money for a luxury item and have other choices.

Funny all this time I was looking at diamonds with the darkest arrows and when I got mine I only see them in special lighting so I guess it doesn’t matter or is that normal?

It's normal. Short answer is arrows don't show up as black unless your light source is obstructed, and your stone is well cut. Poorly cut stones will show up dark but maybe not in arrow shapes.

1575503828162.png

Just so I can catch you before it’s too late do you think this one is better since the arrows look clearer ?

48E20109-C016-467F-986A-D0D79B62EBC5.jpeg

Have you looked at any 60/60 stones to determine if you like/prefer that look? They will have a different personality than the stone you currently have.

A larger table means reduced upper girdle facets, which is where rainbow light is produced. Consequently, you end up with more bright white light return and less rainbow fire.

While this stone kicks back a 1.5 HCA, notice how fire & scintillation is downgraded to very good, from excellent?

Capture2214.PNG

Going with a 60/60 stone is neither good or bad, but it is different from where you are now. I made a post about this the other day to someone else. I compared a traditional Tolk cut to some 60/60 options, all from WF, so the OP could see differences.

What do you think?

Here is a HCA score of the 1.7 G SI1 posted in the above link. Notice how it scores very similar to the HCA of the JA stone you found?

Capture170HCA.PNG

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget what it says in the grading report. Have you even looked at the arrows?

I thought you had me on ignore? Probably best you keep it that way.

Can you explain or label photo of what you are seeing?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
as I mentioned on the other thread I would inquire about this one as well

L

lydial

I for the most part like the 2.27 stone and the plot isn’t really that bad. Remember it is magnified a lot, you just want eye clean, sparkly and fiery. I like the larger size if it will fit your setting - if you want a bigger diamond you need to acknowledge that priority; lots of people on PS are such purists they frown on this sentiment but honestly it is a priority for many buyers. I like the VS2 grade which is reassuring even with some small clouds (assuming the price is worth the risk of these clouds; this is why you aren’t paying a super ideal price so you are taking on that potential hiccup). The imaging is very good but is of course not “top of the line” (so what? You aren’t paying for top of the line; I like bargains). I had a 60/60 stone that always looked brilliant and I didn’t like after a while (yawn) but the angles were worse than your alternate 2.21. If you want “fire” a 60/60 isn’t as likely to grant you that fire wish. The 2.27 ct stone has decent Tolkowski classic “math” for the average angles documented, but being a GIA certified stone it will not have an AGS gemologist critique of the cut (meaning symmetry and precision). If it were me and the budget were there I would consider this a good bet over the 1.9. But you need to decide for yourself.

L

lydial

@Novicenovice I would feel remiss if I did not bring up the one “math” feature of the 2.27 that differentiates it from your 1.9: the star facet. The 1.9 has 45 facet and the 2.27 has a 55. I honestly don’t know if I personally could spot the difference IRL and the sweet spot is in the middle but some people (see link) think it can change the arrow reflections. I still have no idea if it makes a difference but I noticed it when looking at the certs. https://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/star-facet/

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
My mind is completely blown away right now by all of the intricacies in diamonds. It's incredible. You have all been so very helpful, thank you.

as usual Sledge has blown me away with the science of it all. I may need to read your responses a few times before I can fully absorb and comprehend it. Thank you so much.

On a separate note, let's compare this diamond
It has an HCA of 1.3 and states bigger sized diamonds can appear dark when viewed close up. Is this what you guys mean by a different personality?

Does that mean it does not face up as white?

cert.JPG

3833491D-B9F8-4EE0-AEF0-5B6AA4F7EB43.jpeg
This one is a bit friendlier on the budget, says it faces up darker. I am now trying to search for videos of examples showing what is meant by this to see if that’s something that would bother me. For me it’s size, how much it sparkles, how clear it looks... the only thing I was iffy about my diamond was how opaque white it looked in regular room light. Everything else apart from size was perfect.... and I like a good bargain. The 2.27 I’m not sure is a bargain. It’s $17,900 for the stone (I’ll take the price difference for the size jump if all else is good) while this 2.01 is $15k. My 1.9 was $12,740.

I havent the slightest clue in what is normal pricing.

between this one and the 2.27, any better one?

@KKJohnson I tried the 2.26 and the HCA scored over 2. :( idk if that’s such an awful thing but what do you think two?
@sledge @lydial @whitewave @TODiamonds

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Novicenovice I would feel remiss if I did not bring up the one “math” feature of the 2.27 that differentiates it from your 1.9: the star facet. The 1.9 has 45 facet and the 2.27 has a 55. I honestly don’t know if I personally could spot the difference IRL and the sweet spot is in the middle but some people (see link) think it can change the arrow reflections. I still have no idea if it makes a difference but I noticed it when looking at the certs. https://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/star-facet/

I'm not seeing an issue with the 45 stars.

You can't look at that number by itself. You have to consider table size, crown angle, LGF, pavilion angles and any painting/digging effects.

Perhaps @Karl_K can elaborate and provide some of his fancy renderings.

In the interim, here is some additional data to chew on.

Screenshot_20191205-064445_Chrome.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results