shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a red stone

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I am so tempted by the amazing pieces here that I am now looking for a red stone (any type) for a pendant. However my budget is only $2,000 for stone and setting. I would ideally prefer to have both stone and setting from the same place as I am in Canada and everything under one roof may be less hassle. Setting: looking for halos for more presence.

Would you consider this one good value? https://m.ebay.com/itm/172862756035?_mwBanner=1

Any advice/opinions would be welcome. Thank you!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello!

I am so tempted by the amazing pieces here that I am now looking for a red stone (any type) for a pendant. However my budget is only $2,000 for stone and setting. I would ideally prefer to have both stone and setting from the same place as I am in Canada and everything under one roof may be less hassle. Setting: looking for halos for more presence.

Would you consider this one good value? https://m.ebay.com/itm/172862756035?_mwBanner=1

Any advice/opinions would be welcome. Thank you!

A lot of spinels are dark tone and do not look vivid red. They look more like garnet.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely contact Yvonne and ask her what options she has for red garnet or red spinel/ruby within your price range. She can also do red melee halo with rubies which will give you the red color but without the price tag of a large center stone..

https://www.etsy.com/shop/yvonneraley/items?section_id=6940736

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
A lot of spinels are dark tone and do not look vivid red. They look more like garnet.

Thank you. So garnets look more dull than spinels in general?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you. So garnets look more dull than spinels in general?
Red garnets usually are darker in tone, although their RL are higher than the spinel's. Some red spinels can look like a good ruby, but they are very rare. Ivy New York has lots of beautiful red spinels.

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
Red garnets usually are darker in tone, although their RL are higher than the spinel's. Some red spinels can look like a good ruby, but they are very rare. Ivy New York has lots of beautiful red spinels.

Thank you! Just checked out their website. They do not state their prices online-on request only. Are their prices reasonable? Any experience working with them?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Just checked out their website. They do not state their prices online-on request only. Are their prices reasonable? Any experience working with them?

I never bought from them. I assume they are expensive. If you want a vivid red spinel, only some vendors carry them. They are not reasonable price unless you do not mind a very included stone.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I am looking at the prices of red spinels, and it seems that a small ruby would be cheaper these days (or am I wrong?). What do people think? I think spinel prices have beaten all expectations.

The ebay stone looked brownish to me. "Vibrant red" spinels often have some orange/brownish secondary, and pinkinsh Mahenges, my favorite ones, are anything but vibrant red. I remember Litnon had a nice ruby, which has since been sold, but price-wise it was very attractive. As to affordable red garnets, Select Gem has very good prices.

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. Does Finewater set the stones or I shall need to find my own jeweller?

Btw, I have contacted Yvonne and she says that she has sourced some red Burmese spinels at the gem trade show. For those who are also looking ...

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. Does Finewater set the stones or I shall need to find my own jeweller?

Btw, I have contacted Yvonne and she says that she has sourced some red Burmese spinels at the gem trade show. For those who are also looking ...

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the dupes :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results