shape
carat
color
clarity

In new territory and helplessly lost

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ronnie Frown

Rough_Rock
Okay so here''s the deal. I need to get an engagement ring and I have no idea how to do this. I''ve been to the worlds biggest store and they suck as bad as their commercials. I know the cut she wants but the setting is something of a mystery and I''m confounded by ct weight. It seems to me, from all the ladies in my office, that the size of the diamond on the ring directly proportionate to... well... the worth of the man who gave it to her and is a reflection of his love. Now I''m not one for titles and I could really care less what people think about me. But I love her to death
emlove.gif
and she means the world to me and I don''t want her to feel bad when people ask to see the ring (which also seems to be the FIRST thing people ask after telling someone you''re engaged. not "how wonderful for you" or "congratulations" or "when''s the wedding" it immediately turns to "How big is the rock and what kind of man is he"
face8.gif
... But I digress) because I don''t have a ton of money at the present time. So I guess my question is, does a guy stand a chance making off with a ring that will escape certain phallic comparisons in the $6k range?? Please help, lost out here.

AgentRHE

Rough_Rock
Could be worse. I''m looking to do the whole thing for under 3 grand.
1.gif
Having 6g''s to play with should give you LOTS of options.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I think that with $6k you should have plenty to get her a very nice ring. If you would let us know what shape she likes, that would be helpful. Also, as far as the setting, you can either try to guess what she will like, or you can get a very simple (and relatively inexpensive!) solitaire setting to propose with, and then the 2 of you can get the perfect setting later.

While some people ask to see the ring just to see how much they can guess was spent, many people ask just becasue: !0 You know how excited the couple is and it is a way to show how excited you are for them, or 2) I like anything sparkly- no matter how large/small it is- just interesting to see what other people choose!

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
I recently went through a similar dilemma, and believe I was able to get away with a socially acceptable ring for 6k. I guess your ability to do this would depend on your definition of "socially acceptable". In my opinion, I think if you''re above the .75 carat mark, people probably won''t look down on you (no offense to anyone with a smaller ring!!!). The closer you are to a full carat and above the more people will be impressed, but the poorer you''ll be. Obviously there are many tradeoffs in selecting a diamond: cut, color, clarity, and these have a fairly significant impact on people impressions. Obviously if you buy your fiance a whopping 1.5 carat ring, but it''s got a very obvious yellow color or a huge inclusion in the center, people will look down on it pretty badly.

If your fiance-to-be has a professional job or anal friends and relatives, you''d better do the job right. In my opinion I''d get the best overall quality ring as close to 1 carat that you can find that fits within your budget. I was able to pull off a designer setting and a very good center stone a little under 1 carat, within the 6k range. I don''t think you''re gonna have a problem.

....but what the heck do I know.....I''ve still gotta wait 2 months till I can propose
32.gif
!!!!
Hopefully I did alright.

Good Luck!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Ronnie: Yes, you can put together a nice ring for that money.

Part of the decision making process is decided if you want a simple solitaire setting or one that''s a bit more elaborate. A simple setting leaves more for the stone; a more elaborate setting at a greater cost will influence how you massage the Cs to get a nice stone for your nice setting.

Do you have an idea what she''d like? Does she want a solitaire? Once we get an idea of where you''re going, we can help a bit more.

redraider2001

Rough_Rock
i''ve been using this sight for months now and just signed in as an actual user but your situation is very similar to mine. 6k was my limit--i went over by about 6-7% but what''s that when you''re dropping such a large amount anyhow.

a personal opinion and suggestion for a setting would be to look at www.ajaffe.com i found several ''designer'' settings there that were reasonably priced. however, i was only looking at one particular style.

if the stone is your worry, i''d take one of the earlier suggestions and sink everything into it and then get a simple/classic solitaire setting. if you search around long enough you should be able to fine just a plain solitaire setting for $400-600.

good luck--it''s a heck of a journey but this website is absolutely amazing--i''d recommend it to anyone--be happy you found it!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Ditto''s to the suggestions above. Since you don''t know what setting to get, go with a simple white or yellow gold solitare setting. You can tag along and look as she decides on the perfect mounting for the fabulous diamond you''ll get her.
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ronnie,

From where I''m sitting, with your budget, the world can be your oyster, and you''ve got no problems, mon.

For example,
a) using this strategy, and
b) the idea that you
1) narrow you clarity range to between VS2 and SI1, and
2) color options to between F & J
- you can go up in size for an AGS0 rated stone in size of 1.58 for a cash price of $6068
- go with an A Cut Above branded make down to G in color for $5885 cash, or even lower to F in color for expert selection for $5923 cash, at just above a carat
- or somewhere in-between, staying with A Cut Above branding, J color, 1.19 carats in size, for as little as $5342

I''m with those just above on staying with a modest setting, at least for now.

Best wishes,

Ronnie Frown

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the help and hints. As for the shape she likes Emerald and Cushion cuts and it seems that Asscher or Radiant would also work as they are in the square family of shapes. Ideally I would like to find a 1ct stone that is clean and not yellow. I''m not up on all the lingo yet but I hope you know what I''m getting at.

As for the setting she''s made hints
emwink.gif
about settings with channel and pave set stones. I''m a little unclear on what shape stone would look good that way, and am really contemplating going with the simple solitaire for now and then letting her pick the setting. Is this an okay practice or does it kill any of the romance?

-Ronnie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey ronnie, i think going with the solitaire is a great idea. no romance lost at all. it would be better (from a female perspective) for her to be able to take time and pick her *dream* setting, yet have the rock already on her hand. it''s win a win situation. best of luck!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Oops...forget my suggestions, which are for rounds. The general strategies should still work,though, if you''re so inclined.

Best wishes,

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2005 12
6.gif
2:30 PM
Author: Ronnie Frown

Thanks for all the help and hints. As for the shape she likes Emerald and Cushion cuts and it seems that Asscher or Radiant would also work as they are in the square family of shapes. Ideally I would like to find a 1ct stone that is clean and not yellow. I'm not up on all the lingo yet but I hope you know what I'm getting at.

As for the setting she's made hints
emwink.gif
about settings with channel and pave set stones. I'm a little unclear on what shape stone would look good that way, and am really contemplating going with the simple solitaire for now and then letting her pick the setting. Is this an okay practice or does it kill any of the romance?

-Ronnie
Well cut rounds tend to mask color better than just about any other cut. Princess cuts tend to hold and show more body color. Where you might get away with an I/J or even K in a round, you'll probably look more toward a bit higher color grade. Although there have been folks come here and find great square cut I's that face up beautifully white.

There are Cut Charts in the Tutorial that will help guide you. Using the Knowledge link at the top of the page, click on Advanced Tutorial. In the left hand side bar you'll see links to the Cut Charts for various shapes of cut. As you review candidates, you can use the DIY cut grading system at www.gemappraisers.com to assess the cut grade of diamonds you are considering.

The romance won't be lost at all presenting your gal with a classic solitaire during the proposal. ALJDewey, who posted above, is just one of many folk that have gone that route. She was gathering ideas and planning for her perfect wedding set, so she and her now Hubby went with the classic solitaire for the engagement. She got her fabulous e-ring and w-band later, before they got married.
2.gif

Edited to add:

Some of the PS Vendors physically stock fancies that have been professionally evaluated for quality and performance. The Expert Selection at White Flash is one place to check. They regularly stock pricess cuts and also have some asschers available. Also, Nice Ice and Good Old Gold both stock fancies that have been professionally evaluated.
1.gif

Ronnie Frown

Rough_Rock
Everyone is being so helpful, Thanks!

Are there any vendors anyone cares to recommend?

And is there a big difference between who certifies the diamond? Gia and others?

-Ronnie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results