shape
carat
color
clarity

In a few days will you watch Megan, Harry, and Oprah?

Will you watch Megan, Harry, and Oprah?

• Absolutely yes

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • If I'm not busy

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Mabye

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Probably not

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I felt sympathy for them, particularly for Meghan regarding the casual racism (this I do believe 100% while other statements I did not, especially the lack of protocol training). And kudos to Harry for defending his wife and taking his family away at enormous cost to what he has always known. I did not always like him in his youth, especially his Nazi costume phase, but I do think he grew up well, although strong willed.

I felt sorry for William and Kate for all the hate directed at them on Twitter and elsewhere. Anyone who watched them will know how dutiful they are, almost never putting a foot wrong. The person William is most like is neither his mother nor his father. He is most like the Queen and I think she knows that too. If Harry wanted to eventually repair his relationship with Will, he should have protected him better from this backlash about the alluded toxicity.

I do feel the interview was really calculated to trigger a lot of emotional points in favour of Meghan and Harry, and in ways the Firm could not refute without looking worse. The part that got a bit rich for me was the whole “fairytale” angle at the end about Harry saving them all... I just could not mentally relate any further.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt sympathy for them, particularly for Meghan regarding the casual racism (this I do believe 100% while other statements I did not, especially the lack of protocol training). And kudos to Harry for defending his wife and taking his family away at enormous cost to what he has always known. I did not always like him in his youth, especially his Nazi costume phase, but I do think he grew up well, although strong willed.

I felt sorry for William and Kate for all the hate directed at them on Twitter and elsewhere. Anyone who watched them will know how dutiful they are, almost never putting a foot wrong. The person William is most like is neither his mother nor his father. He is most like the Queen and I think she knows that too. If Harry wanted to eventually repair his relationship with Will, he should have protected him better from this backlash about the alluded toxicity.

I do feel the interview was really calculated to trigger a lot of emotional points in favour of Meghan and Harry, and in ways the Firm could not refute without looking worse. The part that got a bit rich for me was the whole “fairytale” angle at the end about Harry saving them all... I just could not mentally relate any further.

This!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well... I’m calling bull....
Archie wasn’t going to be a prince... neither are Anne’s children.
Spare not Heir....
I’m not buying it...
Many other thoughts but none in their favour so I won’t continue....

Its because of George V's letters patience (excuse my bad spelling), Harry's children are great grandson's of the monarch and he's not the 1st son of the prince of Wales
This changes when Charlie becomes king
I'ts the same reason (George V's,letters pattence) that the Queen's father had to step in so Charles and Ann were born as prince and princess (because they were born in the female line like Zara and Peter)

This stuff isn't a secrete
Harry should have known it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what ive read this morning they should make it clear that neither the Queen nor Prince Philip asked about the babie's skin colour (so said Oprah post screening) just on the 2nd rate joke of a current affairs show they screen here after the news last night one of the presenters made it clear without actually saying so that he thought the Duke of Edinburgh said it

Prince Philip is my favourite

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wasn't it reported that Harry & Meghan did not want a title for Archie? Now they do - because they want the security that comes along with the title. BUT - that title does not happen til Charles is King. Why can't Markle see that and understand it! She wants to change the rules. And you wanted out but you wanted to kinda stay in to suit what you want.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Confession: I wasn't going to watch but I totally did.

The chickens, dogs, and fairytale stuff came across as calculated and carefully planned to garner public sympathy. I do not believe that Meghan is raking up droppings and feeding the chooks every morning.

I know that Meghan was treated badly by the press but I also remember Camilla being absolutely raked over the coals for YEARS. The woman must have the hide of a rhinoceros. In any case, I do have sympathy for Meghan because it was implied that the threat level for her, Harry, and the baby was quite high. As a mom, I don't blame her for wanting security but I also imagine that she and her hubby have enough pennies put away to pay for it themselves until they find work.

I'm sorry that she suffered severe depression and feared for her safety. That's terrible. But what about the rest of the world? Thousands of people are out of work, facing food insecurity, and dealing with subpar education for their kids during this pandemic.

They're a lovely couple but I found them immature and out of touch. The whole thing was weird. And Harry needs longer socks. I hate seeing shins sticking out of a suit.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The part about Meghan not knowing about Harry and the royal family and not Googling because Harry will tell her everything she needs to know? I’m taking it all with a large pinch of salt.

The part about being cut off... erm, I just checked and yes Harry had a healthy sum of money - probably at least $30m but I think more. So no, he’s not some poor man. Heck they live in a multi million dollar mansion ok.

I understood it as they wanted Archie to have the title when he was born because that supposedly would give him security.
So they want the best of both worlds and something that’s clearly not in line with the protocol and a Google search can find out in seconds. And to attribute to racism. That’s... more on that later

I felt sympathy for them, particularly for Meghan regarding the casual racism (this I do believe 100% while other statements I did not, especially the lack of protocol training).
Yes 100%. Plus I think maybe she was having some post natal depression hence the crying. I remember going through feeling super emo phase too. So the crying 5 months after giving birth? Yeah ok I believe parts of it as well.

Yes!!! I think it was tailored to trigger the maximum amount of sympathy from the US viewers. Good way to launch their brand in the US.

Plus the mix of calculated truths and untruths... so manipulative and vicious.

After thinking it over, I think they are selfish and immature people and yeah, dislike them even more than before.

Before this I just didn’t like aspects of what they did:
- Lavish spending on maternity clothes (was it really half a million dollars worth???) and much more than Kate. Funded by Prince Charles.
- Flying private jets and then talking about being eco conscious...

After knowing their perspectives more, I just dislike them more than before.

@Daisys and Diamonds take me away from here. Argh. Why am i wasting time on them

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The part about Meghan not knowing about Harry and the royal family and not Googling because Harry will tell her everything she needs to know? I’m taking it all with a large pinch of salt.

The part about being cut off... erm, I just checked and yes Harry had a healthy sum of money - probably at least $30m but I think more. So no, he’s not some poor man. Heck they live in a multi million dollar mansion ok.

So they want the best of both worlds and something that’s clearly not in line with the protocol and a Google search can find out in seconds. And to attribute to racism. That’s... more on that later

Yes 100%. Plus I think maybe she was having some post natal depression hence the crying. I remember going through feeling super emo phase too. So the crying 5 months after giving birth? Yeah ok I believe parts of it as well.

Yes!!! I think it was tailored to trigger the maximum amount of sympathy from the US viewers. Good way to launch their brand in the US.

Plus the mix of calculated truths and untruths... so manipulative and vicious.

After thinking it over, I think they are selfish and immature people and yeah, dislike them even more than before.

Before this I just didn’t like aspects of what they did:
- Lavish spending on maternity clothes (was it really half a million dollars worth???) and much more than Kate. Funded by Prince Charles.
- Flying private jets and then talking about being eco conscious...

After knowing their perspectives more, I just dislike them more than before.

@Daisys and Diamonds take me away from here. Argh. Why am i wasting time on them

I so needed you post @icy_jade
thank you
i thought the Queen mum left Harry money ....?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2. Security is not paid by the royal family. When they were in UK, I think the British government paid for security. When they were on holiday in Canada, it was the Canadians. When they were no longer a working royal, neither government were obliged to pay. It was causing some unhappiness amongst the citizens of both countries and I remember was widely reported.
This is interesting as they made such a big deal about not caring about the titles but only about security.

In the end, there are often two sides of a story -and- given we won't ever officially hear the other side, conclusions after hearing the story from one side is mostly conjecture.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the end, there are often two sides of a story -and- given we won't ever officially hear the other side, conclusions after hearing the story from one side is mostly conjecture.

You write, "given we won't ever officially hear the other side"
Why not?

I think Oprah would be glad to interview top brass of "The Firm" on camera.
Better yet put the firm, the Queen, all the royals including Megan and Harry, in the same room and let the questions and answers fly.
Ya know, since nobody has anything to hide.
May the best blueblood win.

As they say, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not?

Better yet, the firm, the Queen, and all the royals including Megan and Harry, in the same room.

May the best side win.

I was just surmising given it would be surprising as the royal family responses tend to be more formal and less open...but I could be wrong.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just surmising given it would be surprising as the royal family responses tend to be more formal and less open...but I could be wrong.

Exactly!
The British royals, and their Firm which does their bidding, is "more formal and less open".

That's one of their many problems not mitigated by the largest diamonds in the world.
Hopefully today will result in real change and Monarch Modernizing, as was prompted by Lord Altrincham in August, 1957.

Perhaps in a zillion generations Megan might get the same credit as did Lord Altrincham - a pariah of his day.
Yet, some say he saved the monarchy from self destruction by clinging desperately (out of insecurity and fear) to its old passé (but now self-destructive) traditions.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone catch glimpses of her ring? I think She was wearing a yellow band on top of her 3 stone. I was looking for her new pave band. But surprised she was wearing a band on top. Did anyone get a better view? Lol.

How about her studs? Lol. This is PS, after all. A bracelet stack? Did I spy a Love bracelet?

Last edited:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Did anyone catch glimpses of her ring? I think She was wearing a yellow band on top of her 3 stone. I was looking for her new pave band. But surprised she was wearing a band on top. Did anyone get a better view? Lol.

How about her studs? Lol. This is PS, after all. A bracelet stack? Did I spy a Love bracelet?

3 stone was lovely and pretty modest, imo. Didn't catch the band but I did peep the love bracelet.

Did not like the necklace or the studs. Were they Aquamarines?

Harry wore a little bracelet too. I thought it was braided but google says it's beaded.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 stone was lovely and pretty modest, imo. Didn't catch the band but I did peep the love bracelet.

Did not like the necklace or the studs. Were they Aquamarines?

Harry wore a little bracelet too. I thought it was braided but google says it's beaded.

Yes, it was an aquamarine necklace. This article about it popped up in one of my news feeds

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not?

Better yet put the firm, the Queen, all the royals including Megan and Harry, in the same room and let the questions and answers fly.
May the best blueblood win.

Never complain is the Queen's moto
She doesn't do interviews

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know the first 12 min on the news tonight and we don't see the interview till 7.30 with more to come latter in the bullien

That's total BS
Right now i have desided not to watch it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm.
I don’t believe for one second that she knew “nothing about Harry or the Royal Family” though I can appreciate that there were many nuances she had no idea about.
Archie couldn’t be a Prince upon birth, only after Charles becomes King (like how Beatrice and Eugene are princesses because Andrew is the son of the Queen). I’m wondering if Charles told them that after he becomes King he isn’t going to continue that tradition. Prince Edwards kids are entitled to be Princess and Price but they decided to decline that honour from the Queen. Not sure why Sophie is only a Countess and not a Duchess, Fergie was a Duchess.
As for the racial comment about Archies skin colour - WOW is all I can say, a bunch of closet racists it seems. Let’s not worry about the baby’s health, let’s worry instead about how brown he might be!
And for Meghans mental health issues, WOW again. Telling her “oh, it’s the same for everyone”, “just get over yourself” and denying her professional support - OMG. No wonder Harry packed them up and took them to America.
Harry and Meghan were always going to be lower ranking royals and that basically meant they got all the @#@# and little of the benefits but I would have thought that the Queen / Charles could have modernized the arrangement to make it workable. Pity.
As for Kate, I feel sorry for her, not a life to envy,

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
From what ive read this morning they should make it clear that neither the Queen nor Prince Philip asked about the babie's skin colour (so said Oprah post screening) just on the 2nd rate joke of a current affairs show they screen here after the news last night one of the presenters made it clear without actually saying so that he thought the Duke of Edinburgh said it

Prince Philip is my favourite

He is my favourite as well!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im with my Queen with this
if she's not watching im not watching either, and of course icy jade too

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
As for the racial comment about Archies skin colour - WOW is all I can say, a bunch of closet racists it seems. Let’s not worry about the baby’s health, let’s worry instead about how brown he might be

I have been thinking about her statement for a long time. I‘m not saying that such a statement can not be racist. It certainly can. But it depends on how someone says it, acts it. My sister in law is black and her son is my godson. And boy did we all wonder what he would look like after birth. Darker, lighter, curly hair, etc. Was this racism? Certainly not. Just excitement and joy for the little man to come! Just like all mothers, fathers, grandparents wonder what the new ones will look like. So it would be interesting to also hear the voice of the other side here. However, if she felt the comment to have had a racist undertone it might very well be.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been thinking about her statement for a long time. I‘m not saying that such a statement can not be racist. It certainly can. But it depends on how someone says it, acts it. My sister in law is black and her son is my godson. And boy did we all wonder what he would look like after birth. Darker, lighter, curly hair, etc. Was this racism? Certainly not. Just excitement and joy for the little man to come! Just like all mothers, fathers, grandparents wonder what the new ones will look like. So it would be interesting to also hear the voice of the other side here. However, if she felt the comment to have had a racist undertone it might very well be.

We have lots of what Americans call mixed race babies in NZ
my maori freind had children with a full blooded NZ Samoan
For close to 9 months she (ok and most of the dept at work) were obsessed about how the babies* would turn out
Tracy has freckles and hazle eyes and a lot of Maori people carry the red haired gene due to Scottish ansestory (i have a female Maori ansestor from the 1830s)
I also worked with a Samoan boy (who also had German ansestory) who thought it was funny to line the dept up from whitest (me) to blackest - a boy from Sudan, we had every colour of caramel in between
He thought it was hilarious
None of my workmates took offence

* one thing i did find a bit odd was my freind kept referring to her baby as a half cast
i think thats a yucky work
but she did not

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That comment about the baby's potential skin color - there is no other way for me to see that except as racist.

The royal family had a great chance to embrace the change and progress the Meghan represents, BLM, social justice, mental health all of it, but they didn't. They could have made themselves more relevant and relatable to so many of the younger generation, who are more aware of and embracing the changes that are currently happening, whether or not the aristocracy and the royals realize or accept. Sad. Sure, people can argue, this other royal or that other royal had it worse, and there is no winner in that argument, and that doesn't even matter. The world at large is headed in a certain direction. And if the royals don't catch up, they will pose a greater risk to their own long term viability than the change they perceive that Meghan will bring.

And it doesn't matter that Meghan should have known or expect xyz before she joined. Times are changing. She does not have to suck it up. Women don't have to "suck it up". And this applies to the royals too. Maybe they did back in the day. But not anymore. Read the room. She does not like their rules, and she doesn't have to play. She left and took her toys with her. And the funny thing is, Harry said his father and brother are trapped. Well, he just proved he isn't, and they aren't. Yeah, he doesn't have all the royal trappings and money anymore. But he's got a decent life, with some privacy, independence and financial freedom. If his father and brother abdicated, not to say they would, but if did, they would still have money to do what they want. It's just whether they would want to be "no longer royal", and to live a different life. That's a whole different question.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I watched by accident because it was on just after a certain news segment DH watches every night and he called me to join him.

To us they sounded incredibly entitled, tone deaf and whiney. Naïve bordering on stupid at best, calculated and manipulative at worst (her constant claim she didn't know what she had married into).

The positive points: they have chickens. Not much advertisement in the French rerun.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That comment about the baby's potential skin color - there is no other way for me to see that except as racist.

The royal family had a great chance to embrace the change and progress the Meghan represents, BLM, social justice, mental health all of it, but they didn't. They could have made themselves more relevant and relatable to so many of the younger generation, who are more aware of and embracing the changes that are currently happening, whether or not the aristocracy and the royals realize or accept. Sad. Sure, people can argue, this other royal or that other royal had it worse, and there is no winner in that argument, and that doesn't even matter. The world at large is headed in a certain direction. And if the royals don't catch up, they will pose a greater risk to their own long term viability than the change they perceive that Meghan will bring.

And it doesn't matter that Meghan should have known or expect xyz before she joined. Times are changing. She does not have to suck it up. Women don't have to "suck it up". And this applies to the royals too. Maybe they did back in the day. But not anymore. Read the room. She does not like their rules, and she doesn't have to play. She left and took her toys with her. And the funny thing is, Harry said his father and brother are trapped. Well, he just proved he isn't, and they aren't. Yeah, he doesn't have all the royal trappings and money anymore. But he's got a decent life, with some privacy, independence and financial freedom. If his father and brother abdicated, not to say they would, but if did, they would still have money to do what they want. It's just whether they would want to be "no longer royal", and to live a different life. That's a whole different question.

Hmmmm, I think that interview was communicating into the American market and the way you're putting it it makes more sense from the American perspective.

In Europe one seems to be aware that the royal job essentially consists of " smile, wave, shut up and suck it up"

They're being paid taxpayer money and it's in the job description: you get a life of financial luxury but in return you just suck it up and lose your voice.
It's royalty, not Hollywood.

If you're not ok with this -and I, personally would definitely NOT be ok with it - you can still marry the man you love but then you need to retire from those privileges and earn your own money. Whining about it later just sounds so entitled.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, I think that interview was communicating into the American market and the way you're putting it it makes more sense from the American perspective.

In Europe one seems to be aware that the royal job essentially consists of " smile, wave, shut up and suck it up"

They're being paid taxpayer money and it's in the job description: you get a life of financial luxury but in return you just suck it up and lose your voice.
It's royalty, not Hollywood.

If you're not ok with this -and I, personally would definitely NOT be ok with it - you can still marry the man you love but then you need to retire from those privileges and earn your own money. Whining about it later just sounds so entitled.

And I can see a British audience see if from this perspective too. I wonder how other countries see it?

And yeah, I am definitely seeing it as an American. You could not pay me enough to live that life. It's Covid for the rest of her life. Forget it. They can keep the money, the life, the "luxury". And from the perspective of the current times, I can see people saying that they're not actually "whining" but "being authentic". They're speaking up and exposing stuff. It's all a matter of perspective.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results